Notices

Overcoming cynicism

Old 12-07-2013, 07:28 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
EndGame

Hi awuh1. I enjoyed reading your comments.

The world is not literally broken, and using this description figuratively comes with its own inherent limitations....at least of couple of which you've suggested. That's why I wrote it as 'broken'.

The perception of the world as broken is born of the (some might say "spurious") duality of objectified, material 'being', and the subjectivity of self, forever in process, in an unending state of 'becoming'.

The objective 'world', matter in motion, is indifferent to our struggles, and often harsh. But it is not a totalitarian regime; the world does not endow 'human being' with meaning. Otherwise, what would be the point?
Old 12-07-2013, 07:40 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Wow, you guys make my head hurt. I already said to plant a garden.
Old 12-07-2013, 07:45 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
EndGame

Originally Posted by foolsgold66 View Post
There are gardens, and then there are gardens.
Old 12-07-2013, 07:53 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
EndGame

Something Uplifting

Sounds like Jeremy Irons doing the voice over.

Watch How a Leopard Reacts When It Finds Out Its Prey Has a Newborn | loiter.co
Old 12-07-2013, 07:59 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by foolsgold66 View Post
hahahahaaaa! I hear yah, foolsgold. A lot of wisdom in these posts but lawda mercy can someone give me the abridged version? Cliffs Notes?
Old 12-07-2013, 08:08 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
quat

I think part of it was a recipe for a citrus based drink, a good use for unwanted lemons
Old 12-07-2013, 08:10 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I'm beginning to worry I'm just a shallow person.

Guess I'll go make some lemonade.
Old 12-07-2013, 08:21 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Cliffs Notes version - Jung thought we were looking for god in the bottle, which meshes in with the spiritual experience stuff in AA. Quit looking in the bottle, already, look somewhere else and you'll have better luck....
Old 12-07-2013, 08:35 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Well foolsgold, I guess I'm on the right track then.
Old 12-07-2013, 08:52 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Well I'm not 40+ but why not try volunteer work? I do a good bit at a local VA and childrens hospital, and it helps more than you migh think to help others.Try spending a day just sitting and listening to a soilder in need of an ear or playing video games with the teens in the cancer ward, I think you will find the purpose your looking for if you do.
Old 12-07-2013, 09:04 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Frank

Check out Coursera, lots of free online courses from various universities.

Frank
Old 12-08-2013, 03:01 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by Music View Post
You say you're staying sober for purely selfish reasons. What other reason is there?
It's not selfish if everybody benefits!

Old 12-08-2013, 06:53 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

A whole lot of midlife issues came to a head at the time I got into recovery.

Failing marriage, kids leaving the nest...

Entering the void, rather like a spelunker, with something that would light my way (it's different for each of us) kept me busy for awhile. Admiring the scenery and the way my own mind works.

I appreciate the Book of Ecclesiastes, there it is...there is nothing new under the Sun, and I am pretty much right on track with the human condition. I find that comforting.

The fact that you are letting your feelings lead you, awaken you, is a good sign (I think), you're not stopping and stewing in them, but asking what they mean and where you can go with them.

I have found this void an opportunity to see who I really am, and either accept it and work with it, or do something to change it (not so much). I don't have to be anything particular to anyone. Improvising, now life hasn't handed me a script.

It feels different.

I live in a place with wild extremes of landscape. And it fits my life right now. A drive just about anywhere provides views of such variety that it's constantly surprising. I've learned to sit back, and enjoy it, take in the view... live with it. And it really mirrors what's going on inside me. So I get lots of practice in seeing things as they are, adjusting to wild changes in terrain, altitude, humidity etc.

From your posts it sounds as if you and I are very different people experiencing some similar things.

For a myriad of reasons, my life has been small. Since early childhood, I adopted the practice of looking closely at small things. Of seeing the worlds in a grain of sand.

I often seem to experience life inside out and upside down from other people. Time moves slowly, I don't feel moved to discover a purpose in life (other than my function in the Universe of cycling matter and energy), I am delighted to be a part of it. The whole thing is this interesting experience...even the times I get wound up crazy dramatic...

but that's me. Not some spiritual attitude, or something to be strived for by others (though some people say it is), it's who I am.

which gets me around to what someone said above...comparing my insides to others outsides. Is my angst my own? from within? or is it me thinking I should be something other than I am and that what another has or does or experiences is preferrable to what I have, do or experience?

That is the opportunity I have in my life now. I currently have the time, awareness and freedom to sense the source of angst. And decide if I am going to act on it.
Old 12-08-2013, 06:58 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Thanks, @thresh. Wonderful insights.