Notices

Tummy trouble :/

Old 12-07-2013, 05:11 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Well the responses here are not at all what I was expecting, I was sure everyone would completely put my mind at ease with their similar stories LOL. So now I'm half relieved because other people had really bad tummy trouble and on the other hand I'm def taking my dumb ass off to the ER when the pain kicks in down my left side again. I feel really daft now but thank you so much for all the responses, it's very reassuring to have other people at hand walking ahead on the same road.
Old 12-07-2013, 05:13 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Because even now I cannot bear the idea of anyone knowing.. Dunno why. It's not even the shame it's just my private thing that I don't want to tell anyone.
Old 12-07-2013, 05:21 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I was going to give some diet ideas to help the intestines settle until I read that you had major pain going up the left side. If it continues I would get it looked at.
Old 12-07-2013, 05:22 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Idiot!

It's embarrassing if you ARE STILL drinking.

People look at you with admiration now you've stopped!

Especially medical types :-)
Old 12-07-2013, 05:41 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

left side pan that radiates to the shoulder, jaw, lower back, is usually a sign of a cardiac problem....anyone at any age can get a blockage...(plaque build-up).
the tests they will give you in the ER are simple and painless imaging. if you are embarrassed, i understand, but cardiac symptoms are serious.
i dont know how much you drank, but cold turkey stopping can also have issues.
the only thing that will give them a clue are your liver enzymes...the doctors wont announce your alcoholism over a speaker, they might not even ask you, just advise you not to drink.
btw, i had a non- alcohol seizure in my office at work...i waited 2 hours and drove myself home.
I work in a level 1 trauma center...how dumb is it that i would not walk down to the ER?( my one x is a cardiologist)
i went to a neurologist who hospitalized me for a week and it was found i have a small aneurysm in my pointy little head...i still continued to drink for another 5 months...
Old 12-07-2013, 05:51 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

The same thing happened to me. Actually, alcohol settled my stomach and without it, I had heartburn and indigestion like you would not believe. The bloating is normal, too. It will pass in a few days. Just ride it out and you should be okay. Have lots of TUMS and Alka-Selzer ready, though.
Old 12-07-2013, 09:21 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Fandy I was up to about 8 drinks an evening for the last 5 years with a couple of 'lite' joints too. Drinking daily for about 20 years on and off. I knew I'd get mild symptoms, I always do on the rare occasion I dont drink for a day or two. But yep that was very odd, I should of got it checked and I will if it happens again. Meantime I'll hope it's just the tummy so TUMS at the ready.
Old 12-07-2013, 09:42 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Friends - please go to a doctor, and don't be afraid to tell them about drinking. honestly, in my experience, they don't care and don't judge. Its jsut information for them. Doctors are like mechanics - looking for ways to fix a problem. If you go in and say "Geez - I think the drinking I was doing upset my stomach, but I'm not drinking any more so I think it is something else" you will get the tests you need to see if there is damage to your stomach lining, your intestinal track, what have you. They are going to focus on what is going on in your stomach now, not what you have done to get there.

I am no doctor, but I do know that I have had severe gastritis because of my wine habit, and the inflammation in my stomach took at least two weeks to get to normal. I also too prevacid.
Old 12-07-2013, 07:00 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I had alcoholic gastritis for years, and like you a bit of booze seemed to "settle my stomach". Also, in my experience gastritis and GERD symptoms can be coupled with nausea caused by alcohol withdrawals. I often vomited in the morning before work, and when my drinking got serious I'd vomit (or be close) around the time I'd start drinking in the afternoon. I eventually occasionally had to flee work to throw up in secret in the afternoon, then clean up and come back to my cube.

However, my gastritis pain did not ever make it up to my shoulder. It could be a pancreas issue, gall bladder problem, all sorts of things. Also, ETOH damages lots of systems at once in many people, so you could be seeing a combination of factors at work.

I would think seriously about seeing an MD. In my experience they've never been judgmental -- and have always been supportive about quitting the sauce safely.