Notices

Almost 6 months and it's a wrap

Old 12-06-2013, 09:19 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Administrator

I have to say I'm glad TF - FWIW, I think you made a wise decision.
Old 12-06-2013, 09:37 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Glad to see you back here. I think it was good for you to put some thoughts out here. If you were never really hooked that hard, why couldn't you have gone to your friends party and at least had a pleasant time sober? I don't know the answer and maybe you don't either, but it bears exploring a bit before throwing a drink at it to try and set it 'right'.
Old 12-07-2013, 06:01 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Just a thought:

If going to the party and NOT drinking was a thought that never crossed your mind because that sounds ridiculous and impossible...isn't that a sign that you really do have a problem?

I know that my anxiety about being around drinking and obsession with who is drinking, how much, what is a good reminder to me that I am an alcoholic.

Congratulations for making a healthier decision.
Old 12-07-2013, 07:40 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I had very similar feelings the first time I quit, TopFlight. I went back to drinking with the intention of moderating. I couldn't come close to drinking in moderation and found that what I thought I missed about drinking wasn't a reality. Then I permanently stopped using the drug of alcohol.

Missing the social interactions is definitely something I need to work on, also. For 2 decades I socialized with other drinkers. Best of luck to you.
Old 12-07-2013, 07:48 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

So So glad you changed your mind Topflight. I had a vision of your experiment ending badly and happy to see catastrophe averted. Hang out with us here, it's just as fun and less risky
Old 12-07-2013, 11:51 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
lillyknitting

I think your post reflects on a lot how I feel. Unfortunately, but true, if only I could give up the bad about alcohol, but keep all the good things I liked about it. Even though probably, maybe the good things are all psychological (for example:one just cannot possibly socialize without a drink, etc), when we know deep down actually we can.

If you can go back to drinking and moderate; and by that we mean no bad side effects occur; then my friend you have cracked it! But. Isn't that all why we are here in the first place lol. Good luck.
Old 12-08-2013, 03:14 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Originally Posted by TopFlight View Post
I've experienced a level of isolation that I have never experienced before. I've withdrawn from most of my friends, certain family, and a lot of social situations in general.

Now I feel so introspective that I almost feel nuts sometimes.

It's like everything is so serious that I can't allow myself to be at ease like I once was. Can all this be attributed to drinking? Probably not, but I know since becoming sober this is the way it has been.
I don't think that alcohol will help the above points in your post , alcohol is a depressant .

If your withdrawn socially , learn to "get out" there .

If your introspective learn to become less focused on yourself and help someone else out ….or do some hobbies that "take you out of yourself" .

If you are serious and can't allow yourself to be at ease , why not ? As a sober person , i am wittier , i can remember and tell jokes , i can dance without tripping over my legs, chairs, tables or steps … until you do 1 above , get out there and start to interact socially , you won't feel at ease .

Just because it's new and scary to try these things sober doesn't mean we shouldn't do them, get out there and have a ball , when you don't drink you can remember it as well ( most of the drinkers won't remember even if you do make a wally of yourself )

My sober life is FAR better than my drunken one ever was , and i've got this far in 2 years sober compared to 20 years drunk …

I hope you give your sobriety another 21 months at least to see how things feel from where i am today .. i've made it and i definitely had a drinking problem , so 27 months should be easy for someone who thinks they don't have a problem
Old 12-08-2013, 03:26 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TopFlight View Post
Tonight isn't the night I'm going to drink.
One day/night at a time man.