Notices

Cigarettes vs. alcohol addiction

Old 12-05-2013, 03:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Cigarettes vs. alcohol addiction

Nicotine is widely considered the hardest drug to quit. Why is it that most regular smokers quit and do so without and support group or medical help?

Alcoholics have AA and rehab facilities and seem to have a worse recovery rate.

What does that say for our thoughts on the most addicting chemical?

What does that say about our recovery methods?

Do you think nicotine is harder to quit then alcohol and why?
Old 12-05-2013, 03:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Yes, I think so. I have no idea why though.
Old 12-05-2013, 03:50 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Cigarettes were harder for me to quit than alcohol. I think it's because the consequences associated with smoking aren't as evident as the consequences of drinking, and smoking was something I did every 15 minutes of every day without fail. Cigarettes also didn't affect my thinking the way alcohol did. And it never got in the way of my life. I really had no choice but to give up alcohol, I couldn't function anymore if I continued drinking. Smoking I could have continued for a long time before it caused any real problems, or at least any that I was aware of.

As an aside, I think the nicotine addiction thing is made much bigger than it actually is. I think it's the habit part that people really struggle with. I tried to quit 100s of times, used nicotine supplements, and they didn't do anything. When I did actually quit, it just sorta happened, no patch, no gum... just cold turkey, and while I had a little nicotine withdrawl it wasn't a huge deal. A bad cold, and feeling like I was high for a week. It was actually a pleasant feeling, I laughed at everything. I don't think the nicotine played all that much into my habit, I think it was something other/or more than that that made it impossible for me to quit for so long. I've also noticed that just as many or more people actually quit smoking without patches or gum as those who use them. Not telling anyone not to do it if it helps, but I sometimes get the feeling it gives the addiction even more power. Like we're fighting an even bigger beast than we actually are. Getting off nicotine was no big deal for me. Quitting smoking was. If that makes any sense.
Old 12-05-2013, 04:05 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Originally Posted by Joe Nerv View Post
Cigarettes were harder for me to quit than alcohol. I think it's because the consequences associated with smoking aren't as evident as the consequences of drinking, and smoking was something I did every 15 minutes of every day without fail. Cigarettes also didn't affect my thinking the way alcohol did. And it never got in the way of my life. I really had no choice but to give up alcohol, I couldn't function anymore if I continued drinking. Smoking I could have continued for a long time before it caused any real problems, or at least any that I was aware of.

As an aside, I think the nicotine addiction thing is made much bigger than it actually is. I think it's the habit part that people really struggle with. I tried to quit 100s of times, used nicotine supplements, and they didn't do anything. When I did actually quit, it just sorta happened, no patch, no gum... just cold turkey, and while I had a little nicotine withdrawl it wasn't a huge deal. A bad cold, and feeling like I was high for a week. It was actually a pleasant feeling, I laughed at everything. I don't think the nicotine played all that much into my habit, I think it was something other/or more than that that made it impossible for me to quit for so long. I've also noticed that just as many or more people actually quit smoking without patches or gum as those who use them. Not telling anyone not to do it if it helps, but I sometimes get the feeling it gives the addiction even more power. Like we're fighting an even bigger beast than we actually are. Getting off nicotine was no big deal for me. Quitting smoking was. If that makes any sense.
Yes, makes perfect sense.
Old 12-05-2013, 04:19 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Joe Nerv View Post
I've also noticed that just as many or more people actually quit smoking without patches or gum as those who use them. Not telling anyone not to do it if it helps, but I sometimes get the feeling it gives the addiction even more power. Like we're fighting an even bigger beast than we actually are.

Yes..I agree. I would go as far to say this is the same for our current methods of recovery on alcoholism as well
Old 12-05-2013, 04:21 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

I definitely think that nicotine is harder than alcohol. I have to embark upon getting rid of it and I'm not looking forward to it so there's a big problem to start.

I know I have to and I'm really getting sick of it but evidently I'm just not there yet because I keep doing it.

There is a National Tobacco Helpline in the US, not sure where you're located.

American Cancer Society
1-800-227-2345
The ACS offers information on local cessation programs and provides smoking cessation literature.
Old 12-05-2013, 04:25 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm one that says that alcohol is harder to quit. As cigarettes got more expensive, i had to find cheaper alternatives until finally i decided that i'd rather have the extra booze than pay the high price of tobacco. so basically i quit, mostly because the chemical payoff with tobacco just wasnt enough for me.
Old 12-05-2013, 04:29 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Originally Posted by alcoholicbarry View Post
I'm one that says that alcohol is harder to quit. As cigarettes got more expensive, i had to find cheaper alternatives until finally i decided that i'd rather have the extra booze than pay the high price of tobacco. so basically i quit, mostly because the chemical payoff with tobacco just wasnt enough for me.
That's interesting.
Old 12-05-2013, 04:58 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Realising my life

Originally Posted by alcoholicbarry View Post
I think I'm with Barry here. I gave up smoking years ago and while it was fiendishly hard for a short time, the cravings diminished pretty quickly - and once my sense of smell returned, I didn't ever want to go back!

Having said that, I had dreams of smoking for 20+ years after quitting whereas my alcohol dreams are few and far between
Old 12-05-2013, 05:33 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Cabo, 1 year 5 months no cigarettes and I still have annoying cravings. 3 years 6 months on the 10th no booze and cant remeber the last time I had the urge to drink. Don't know why. Rootin for ya.

Old 12-05-2013, 06:48 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I actually found quitting smokes very easy. I have not found quitting drinking all that dififcult. But I obsess about the drinking and I am not sure if AA is helping. In fact, I am not sure if going to meetings helps. The constant thinking, even being on this site - I don't do any of that for cigareetes and other than a thought here or there I was able to simply walk away this September.

I do think there might be something to spending too much time over anlayzing. I am also not relating ot other alcoholics. I had an AA meeting last night and was being force fed the idea of how an "real Alcoholic" can't stop. In step one there is a solution, I am relating more and more to a moderate transitioning to hard drinker. This is not me rathionalizing a drink just an observation. Each time I raise the question I get berated by other fellows like I am the one stepping out of line. Everythign in my life is better without the booze and I have no desire to return but I am struggling with AA.

I would say that some poeple have different genes that do make them more succestable to different chemicals. I know you are heavy on the no proof but that is a general observation.
Old 12-05-2013, 06:52 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

For me quitting nicotine was initially tougher, but only for about a week. After that I never looked back and it's been about 3 1/2 years. Alcohol on the other hand still has lingering affects almost a year into sobriety for me.

The health risks associated with alcohol withdrawal can be much more severe than nicotine withdrawal as well. Probably why you don't see people going to nicotine "detox" centers regularly.
Old 12-05-2013, 07:03 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

Nicotine was a breeze. I never really got a true benefit from smoking as typically the 700 plus chemicals would just wreak havoc on my already too sensitive constitution.

But I would smoke when I drank, which was every night at my worst.

When I stopped drinking, the cigarettes just kinda fell away.

I realize that this is one of the times my being as Highly Sensitive Person worked in my favor...
Old 12-05-2013, 07:06 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

For me quitting smoking wasn't all that hard.(18 yrs)
But, stopping drinking,now that was very hard. (4 months)
Old 12-05-2013, 07:08 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

found them to be entirely different things. so no, one wasn't tougher to quit than the other.
Old 12-05-2013, 07:10 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

I quit both. I can say that I get random cravings for cigarettes and they are so out of the blue but I don't get that with wine.
Old 12-05-2013, 07:32 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by caboblanco View Post
Nicotine is widely considered the hardest drug to quit. Why is it that most regular smokers quit and do so without and support group or medical help?
I agree that the first 2 weeks of quitting nicotine was harder than the first 2 weeks of quitting alcohol.

However, with nicotine, it got easier each day after that. With alcohol it got harder each day after that. By the 30th day I knew I had beat tobacco. At 30 days sober, I knew I could not live the rest of my life struggling like I was.
Old 12-05-2013, 10:48 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Alcoholism may require emotional therapy to overcome as people drink to deal with feelings. People don smoke cigarettes to escape reality, they are simply addicted to a highly addictive chemical and thus need to break the habit rather than address deep seated emotional issues which may be driving them to smoke.

I find cigarettes easier to give up once the habit has been broken (I.e in the long term) but alcohol harder to give up in the long term as people who give up alcohol will forever be faced with pressures to drink in a society that actively caters towards drinkers and not non drinkers. As smoking is less socially acceptable - even frowned upon - I find it may be easier to avoid in the long term..
Just my two cents..
Old 12-05-2013, 12:16 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

quitting smoking for me was really difficult, i tried and tried and i could never get past a few hours let alone a day. The first time I got to 3 days, that was it, I was quit. The initial quitting was the real hell then the pain tapered off quickly, after 2 months I never considered smoking again, 6 months I know I never will, and now 18months, wild horses couldnt get me to smoke.

but for me, booze is harder, it sneaks up on you and that desire can come back at any time. i say quitting booze is harder.
Old 12-05-2013, 12:20 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Nicotine is much harder for me.

I stopped smoking around 50 days ago and I still have cravings – and miss it terrible at times.

I smoked my fist cigarette as a 10 years old and I loved it right away.

It took me time to build up a problem with alcohol and my alcohol use was more fleeing from something than drawn to something.

I remember once I was out kayaking years ago and I was settling for the night but dropped my cigarettes in the water by mistake. I had the choice to wait until next day and I would pass a town around noon or walk inland to the nearest shop 12 km, buy some cigarettes and walk back to the tent. It was more than 2½ hours walk and I had been kayaking all day and was tired.

It was not a difficult choice – 2½ hours walk for a smoke – sure.

I can not Imagen that I would bother to walk 2½ hours for alcohol if I was tired, I am not sure I could find the motivation.

This is probably different for different people.

I will beat it this time though - I am going for the 100 days mark