Notices

I'm almost back

Old 12-06-2013, 12:18 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

checking in. nothing to report. still tapering. went jogging today for about 40 min. felt good. that helps alot with withdrawal.
Old 12-06-2013, 01:07 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
orangutan

Glad to see you back and posting. I also found exercise helps a lot. Wishing you well.
Old 12-06-2013, 05:40 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
High on Life

I've been waiting for you to surface. Actually you're probably the only reason I sign on these days to see if you made it back. Keep up the fight!!!
Old 12-06-2013, 06:39 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TheEnd View Post
I've been waiting for you to surface. Actually you're probably the only reason I sign on these days to see if you made it back. Keep up the fight!!!
thanks man. i appreciate the kind words.
Old 12-06-2013, 07:21 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Bulldog I read your threads and comments here on sr. Your input is invaluable. Please keep sober. Your life depends on it and us newbies need your insight. Glad your back man!!!!
Old 12-07-2013, 03:09 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Old 12-07-2013, 03:56 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
a bit out there

I tapered as well. Two weeks felt like a combination of days 1-3 of a standard CT withdrawal. Two weeks of hell, fighting off seizures and insanity much of the time, but got through it, and with no seizures (that I know of). Still a bit foggy and forgetful, but improving with every day. That first morning alcohol free was amazing. Keeping busy helped/helps me. Good luck man.
Old 12-08-2013, 04:04 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

last night was a bit rough. i guess my body didn't like the rate in which i was tapering because i was really twitchy and restless last night. i slept about 4-5 hours which is a blessing but it was filled with very vivid nightmares as well. i gotta say...not a big fan of this part of the process.

not really shaking anymore either. it's really just the night time issues with sleeping that's really bothering me and i know that'll go away in a week or so. This detox wasn't nearly as bad as when i got off the benzos and booze 4 years ago, but i was out there far too long trying to do thngs my way.

Tapering worked well with my wife keeping the supply at bay. I've on a vitamin regimen and am trying to eat a low sodium low fat diet to keep the blood pressure in check while i complete the detox. Exercise does wonders for me as well.

I'm tired today,but i'm starting to feel human again. so, i'm still here. that's all for now.
Old 12-08-2013, 04:12 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by BullDog777 View Post
last night was a bit rough. i guess my body didn't like the rate in which i was tapering because i was really twitchy and restless last night. i slept about 4-5 hours which is a blessing but it was filled with very vivid nightmares as well. i gotta say...not a big fan of this part of the process.

not really shaking anymore either. it's really just the night time issues with sleeping that's really bothering me and i know that'll go away in a week or so. This detox wasn't nearly as bad as when i got off the benzos and booze 4 years ago, but i was out there far too long trying to do thngs my way.

Tapering worked well with my wife keeping the supply at bay. I've on a vitamin regimen and am trying to eat a low sodium low fat diet to keep the blood pressure in check while i complete the detox. Exercise does wonders for me as well.

I'm tired today,but i'm starting to feel human again. so, i'm still here. that's all for now.
Old 12-09-2013, 05:18 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

just checking in. Last night i found myself praying for others and having a bit of gratitude for his mercy during this detox. Going from almost a liter a day of the hard stuff down to 3 beers right before bed in just 5 days to me, was pretty awesome. I might have tapered a bit fast, but my vitals were always being checked and i felt like i could handle it.

The shakes are gone..(yay!!)I still have the nightmares, and this morning i was covered in sweat, but i slept 8 hours for the first time in a LONG time. For me, getting to sleep is always the challenge. I've also been keeping a written journal which has helped alot too.

i'm putting one foot in front of the other and trying to stay out of my own head. I've been living there far too long.
When the big book says cunning, baffling and powerful i didn't quite get it until i realized how long i had been away. Scary.

So, today i'm very grateful for God's mercy and my family. I'm gonna go get some breakfast and maybe even get some work done today. Have a good day people.
Old 12-10-2013, 03:56 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

man...when my addiction counselor said the withdrawal can come and go in intensity for the first couple of weeks, she wasn't kidding. I only slept 3 hours last night and woke up kinda jittery, covered in sweat and wired. ugh..not great compared to the night before....i think alot of that has been the inability to exercise coupled with me pushing a fast taper schedule. we've had alot of snow and ice the past 2 days which has made it hard to go anywhere to do anything physical. I hope today passes quickly. I'm gonna turn on netflix and try to stay out of my head and rest. have a good day people.
Old 12-11-2013, 08:33 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
a bit out there

From my experience, it does come and go, while the overall intensity slowly wanes. Glad to see you posting. It's been nearly two weeks for me, and the rollercoaster may have slowed but it hasn't come to a stop quite yet. Normally I'm fairly ok during days, it's late night trying to talk myself into climbing into bed that's rough. Exercise does help me.

At any rate, this is better than the cycle of being drunk or withdrawing. Lately the days go by nearly as fast as when drunk, while I now actually recall my activities. It's nice to have real memories instead of just reading about the occurrences of past days in my written logs. Not sure if any of this helps you; I try to help by giving my story as I'm too new to sobriety to really suggest anything.

I checked my prior posts to find this thread and see how you're doing, and hope to see you posting again. Be well.
Old 12-12-2013, 06:05 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Hang in there guys. I have asked it before and I'll ask it again. Why the hell does withdrawal suck so much more at night when trying to sleep?!
Old 12-12-2013, 07:10 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by babycat View Post
Hang in there guys. I have asked it before and I'll ask it again. Why the hell does withdrawal suck so much more at night when trying to sleep?!

It's always worse at night because you notice things a lot more when you're quiet. Lay in bed and you notice every little nuance as the brain chemestry goes haywire trying to normalize.

Keep in mind there are many degrees of detox/withdrawal. I've experienced the fairly mild type and the really bad 9 kinds of hell type. In the really bad type you get the full blown audio and visual hallucinations. That type of withdrawal is not that common, most is of the much milder type.
Old 12-12-2013, 09:48 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
a bit out there

Quote:
Originally Posted by babycat

Originally Posted by BackToSquareOne View Post
It's always worse at night because you notice things a lot more when you're quiet. Lay in bed and you notice every little nuance as the brain chemestry goes haywire trying to normalize.

Keep in mind there are many degrees of detox/withdrawal. I've experienced the fairly mild type and the really bad 9 kinds of hell type. In the really bad type you get the full blown audio and visual hallucinations. That type of withdrawal is not that common, most is of the much milder type.
I agree with that. The mind doesn't have enough information to process is how I've looked at it. The over-excitable brain and sleep deprivation don't go well together at all.

Leaving a radio on, or some ocean waves, sometimes helped me. Anything to keep my mind from resorting to itself for input could be soothing.