Notices

My quest to quit drinking for good.

Old 12-04-2013, 03:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My quest to quit drinking for good.

Hello everyone, I'm proud to say that I have not drank since Sunday 12/4/13. I'm exited to be part of this group of supportive folks. I'm going to try to use these forums and my family as my main/only means of recovery. AA is not out of the question however I want to try here 1st. I will go to AA if need be before I will drink again. I must quit no other way to look at it. I have elevated liver enzymes. Had a ultrasound and was diagnosed with enlarged liver with fatty deposits. Went to have it checked due to abdominal pain. I drank since age 18 and now I'm 36. Some bad choices were made!

I have also had chronic headaches for the last 15 years. Drinking was my excuse not to care and try to drown out the pain. It doesn't work! I think that's how I became addicted. That and it was accepted by all my friends growing up. We thought it was cool and drank a lot even before we were of age. More bad choices.

So it's day 3 and I have some major liver pains that seem worse now then ever. A friend of mine said it's probably the liver healing itself and that's why it hurts. Not sure if that's common or true?

I feel OK most of the time other then the ab pain. No shakes or anything thank God. I have been trying to quit for the past 3 months and usually would stumble after a week. the longest I have went clean was 3 weeks. I ruined that run last week. This time I can't go back to boozing. Sometimes I feel unwell and the fear grips me then I start feeling worse. Sort of a runaway anxiety problem that I have had for years. I mostly thought it was from always drinking the day before. Now I wonder why I have anxiety when I'm getting sober. It might be withdrawal I'm not sure. I'm Trying to stay busy to keep my mind occupied. Getting more chores done around the house for sure.

I will check in every so often even if God forbid I drink again. Thanks for listening. God bless you all.
Old 12-04-2013, 04:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Do whatever you need to do to get better.x
Old 12-04-2013, 04:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Need2try View Post

I have elevated liver enzymes. Had a ultrasound and was diagnosed with enlarged liver with fatty deposits. Went to have it checked due to abdominal pain.

So it's day 3 and I have some major liver pains that seem worse now then ever.

I feel OK most of the time other then the ab pain.
the sad news is that some of us do some real damage to our bodies and minds
just to be honest with you -- your liver issue is very serious
the best thing you can do now is to never have another drink

sites such as this will be of much help

you mentioned possible AA -- it won't hurt -- many have recovered there

the wife and I just a couple of weeks back
lost our in his 60's friend due to liver failure

truth is -- you have some terrible signs for a young man
usually liver problems show up much later in a drinkers life

I have also done some life changing damage to myself
best for us to stay sober today
or -- something worse may happen to us

once severely damaged the liver does not repair itself that well

Mountainman
Old 12-04-2013, 04:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome needto! I'm on day 12 and I'm going to a meeting tonight (first one in years) SR is a wonderful forum with tonnes of supporting people.
Old 12-05-2013, 02:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You are right Mountainman I do have to watch it. I need a few more posts before I can respond to your PM.

There is no going back to it. It's quit or die. No in between.

Day 4 is going better and pain seems to be a bit less. When I went for 3 weeks I had no pain at all twards the end. That's why I went back to it thinking I beat it. I pretended that moderation was in my power. IT'S NOT! Pain came back with a vengeance. I should not be surprised about that. Booze and me are not friends anymore. It's strange what addiction will make us do to ourselves.
Old 12-16-2013, 09:38 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

DAY 14

I think I'm out of the woods for the real bad times. My liver pains are for the most part gone. I have been eating right and taking milk thistle and green tea. I do have those tired moments but I suppose this is normal. Cravings are not bad if I just find a project to work on to occupy my time. Productivity is my new friend. I can only imagine what day 45 or 90 will be like. I know that I can't go back to drinking because I can't control myself. Just thought I would check in with the good report. If I can quit anyone can. Have a great week everyone.
Old 12-16-2013, 09:48 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

It's amazing how fast the body can repair itself.
I'm coming up to 5 month now and have solely used this site and family to stay sober.
It works.

Best wishes,N2T.
Old 12-16-2013, 12:05 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR,

I use this site in addition to reading recovery books, and I find it works great. There is so much support and resource information on the forums, I find it's a perfect place for people who want to battle their addictions.

Like someone else said, our bodies have a tremendous ability to heal once we stop putting this poison into them. It's very much an unnatural thing, when we think about it logically, to ingest poison. It does take time, based on what people have been saying, but it is definitely worth it. Even after only 30 days sober, I'm more mentally aware and not so much in a haze. It's quite wonderful, actually.