Notices

quitting other things to?

Old 12-01-2013, 10:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

quitting other things to?

since I am trying to quit drinking, would it also be a good idea and try to quit dipping at the same time? not sure if dealing with withdrawals from nicotine and alcohol at the same time is a good idea
Old 12-01-2013, 10:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I don't know because I was (for some weird reason) able to quit cigarettes cold turkey eight years ago with nary a slip, but alcohol.... not so much. I guess it depends. Some people like to do it all at once and others find it too stressful. An example: the two years my husband managed to remain clean and sober he quit EVERYTHING - cigarettes, cocaine, weed, and alcohol. He found that easiest. He did fall off the wagon on everything but cocaine eventually but when he talks about quitting again he plans to cut out everything. However, many in AA smoke because they can lean on that instead of drinking.

I guess you will have to work out what is best for you. Wish I had more helpful advice than that.
Old 12-01-2013, 01:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I personally didn't. The alcohol cravings were bad enough as it was without complications from nicotine withdrawal.

Once you gain a boost of confidence from beating alcohol, that may carry over into a desire to quit dipping. My experience is that the physical withdrawal from nicotine may be milder than alcohol withdrawal, but it lasts much longer - months even years.

And contrary to what the anti-tobacco zealots would have you believe, smokeless tobacco is far safer than cigarettes so you are not on the immediate road to ruin as it is. I did some research myself after trying everything to quit and finally got off of the smokes and dip with Swedish snus - arguably the safest form of tobacco and more effective than patches or gum. Feel free to send me a message if you want some good info on this.

Remember that recovery is about progress, not perfection. Initially, every day you do not drink and you advance your recovery with new knowledge is a success. There is no need to muddy the waters with additional burdens. You could certainly try quitting them at the same time, but do not beat yourself up at all if it becomes too much and you go back to dip. I think a lot of people fail in their New Year's resolutions because they take on too many at once, slip in one resolution, and end up throwing out the baby with the bath water. Ultimately, you should do what is realistic and most comfortable for you.

Congratulations on choosing recovery and welcome aboard!
Old 12-01-2013, 01:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I've never dipped....seems to be an American thing.

I quit cigarettes when I quit drinking - that was the right way for me because I generally only smoked when I drank.

Others find the double whammy too much.
Old 12-01-2013, 05:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I dip too, and while it would be admirable, I didn't even think about quitting dipping along with alcohol. It's not healthy, but it is a great way to deal with cravings for me. Quitting the alcohol is priority number 1 for me. Maybe in six months or so I will reconsider quitting dipping.
Old 12-06-2013, 08:46 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
recovering alcoholic

My sponsor and my facilitator of my 12 step group both has said just tackle one giant at a time! Fight one battle at a time - or will lose both! Just focus on your sobriety. And if you need to dip like crazy to stay sober, then dip like crazy. You can fight that battle once your sobriety is strong. Like in a year or so. Good luck.
Old 12-06-2013, 08:56 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Re-Member

I'd like to say I had the willpower of a saint but I don't. Yes I quit a three pack a day habit, and a 30 plus units a day alcohol habit at the same time. And because of the same reason Dee did. But I checked myself into a one week detox in the hospital. They put me on patches along with all the Librium etc. they give to avoid seizures. So I figured what the hell, in for a penny, in for a pound. Might as well not waste a perfectly good detox on just one addiction. It worked and folks and I am never going back there!!!!