Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Bowels in an uproar!! *gross content - you've been warned!*

Notices

Old 11-30-2013, 07:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Semi-Professional Philosopher

Please tell me this is normal: I've been cleaning up and relapsing for the past few months. I'd go dry for a week, then on the weekend I'd come home with a big ol' bottle of Ezra Brooks. Then I'd start to drink weeknights and the cycle would start all over.

So I made a few firm commitment to change my lifestyle entirely, starting Thanksgiving Day. Started eating better, no more booze and I am drinking lots of water, almost like I cannot get enough. I am on day 3 and I have already felt my pants get loose. I guess I must have always been that bloated.

Anyway, on to my issue. It seems like every time I sobered up in the past, the following days my bowel movements went bonkers! Like I'd be constipated one day and have the runs the next. And it smells absolutely horrible, like an animal died in my gut!! I am going through this today and I am wondering if this is normal when someone sobers up. It is driving me crazy!!
Old 11-30-2013, 07:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I didn't notice that, but a change of diet would be enough to cause that reaction, you are also detoxing. Probably a good idea to see your Doc if it don't normalize soon
Old 11-30-2013, 07:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Your body is probably just dumping all the crap! ha!
Old 11-30-2013, 07:57 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Spinning Sober

I seem to be more regular now that I've been clean a little over a month. Coming off pain pills was the worst for my bowels! It's still rather smelly though!
Old 11-30-2013, 08:00 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Try probiotics and milk thistle--support your system and it will pass
(sorry for bad pun)
I think this happens to many.
Eat good, healthy food. I also took some fiber pills which helped.
Old 11-30-2013, 08:15 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

I just swallowed a whole aniseed twist with laughing and almost choked to death sorry :/
Old 11-30-2013, 08:18 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I think it's pretty common for this to happen When you do go it's a bit like an explosion in a paint factory

One thing though - if it's starting to affect your bowels, you better stock up on Imodium before you go out...just saying...the best solution would be to stop drinking.
Old 11-30-2013, 08:23 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Regularity ranks right up there with no hang overs on the list of great things that normal people don't even know about. Or should I say messed up bowels and hang overs rank right up there on the list of things that suck about drinking?

After two years without drinking it still amazes me just how toxic it was, and I had it pretty easy compared to some of my drinking buddies. As a drunk this was another version of the old "at least I'm not as bad as that person" game, I now recognize.
Old 11-30-2013, 10:10 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

For me it is the opposite - booze helped me go. So, it is back to the fiber pills and enemas for me. But whatever. Constipation is WAY better than being drunk!
Old 11-30-2013, 11:38 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

yea i had that happen to me a few times after good binge. it lasted a few days. guess your bodies are saying good by to the alcohol. i had a hard time eating spicy or greasy food after binging, so i ate mild soft foods like salads, fruit, or things like that.
Old 11-30-2013, 11:52 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

My husband's bowels were explosive when he was drinking. I can tell you it's gotten better since he's stopped drinking. I know this because I do the cleaning around here. It'll get better once you get back to sober living. Take care of yourself.
Old 11-30-2013, 02:08 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

The alcohol gave me the constant runs . Doesn't mix well with antibiotics either
Old 11-30-2013, 04:31 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I'm in the exact same boat as you. I'd go a week or so then slip, go a week or so again, slip. Also funny you mention about eating better because I went out today and bought a bunch of fruit, vegetables, unsalted nuts and almonds, lean meats, high fiber bran cereal, green tea, etc.I haven't had the issues with bowels, yet anyway, lol. Congrats on the decision though! I don't know if the gym is on your agenda, but I know for me, its the hardest thing to try to force myself to incorporate
Old 11-30-2013, 04:42 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CactusJill View Post
For me it is the opposite - booze helped me go.
Tell me about.. I was always regular. Same time every morning. Not anymore!
Old 11-30-2013, 11:49 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Absolutely normal. Because of the constipation and then the runs, I tried using Metamucil to help me "go potty" on a more regular basis. It worked for me. Have you noticed that your sweat is a bit odd smelling as well?
Old 12-01-2013, 02:49 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

that sour smell..i know it well
Old 12-01-2013, 07:15 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Originally Posted by Hawkeye13 View Post
Try probiotics and milk thistle--support your system and it will pass
(sorry for bad pun)
I think this happens to many.
Eat good, healthy food. I also took some fiber pills which helped.
BEFORE YOU TAKE PROBIOTICS CONSULT YOUR PHYSICIAN. I can't stress this enough! In fact, before you take any supplement you should talk to your doctor.

Hawkeye13, for the most part probiotics won't harm a fly but everyone is different and if I continued to take them I would have ended up in the hospital with toxic shock syndrome. Orion90 (and anyone else who cares to read) Here's the thread:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...tor-first.html

It also is concerning that when I did a search on probiotics how many threads came up. Please, please please, consult with your doctor before taking supplements. Better safe than sorry!
Old 12-01-2013, 09:52 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

It's normal.

And I've gotta tell you...I laughed so hard at the mental picture, I had tears in my eyes. I know you didn't intend it but thanks for the laugh!

Probably only some people of a certain age will remember this but I could picture Dana Carvey on Saturday Night Live as the Church Lady saying "Well, isn't THAT special"
Old 12-01-2013, 12:33 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

One thing I have noticed since I quit drinking, I no longer seem to need antacids. I used to eat Tums all the time, now it only seems to be if I eat something that's overly rich or spicy.
Old 12-02-2013, 10:29 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by caboblanco View Post
that sour smell..i know it well
What causes that? What toxic chemical brew forms to result in such an unearthly, evil, from the bowels-of-Satan-himself stench? I'd love to know. For science of course.