Notices

I love being sober

Old 11-29-2013, 10:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
lillyknitting

I love being sober

It's Saturday morning here folks, 6 am. Ive got a huge job to do this morning, starting at 9. Well just wanted to post how amazing it feels to be up bright eyed and bushy tailed, planning my day ahead without a terrible hangover. So many times have I woke up on a Saturday literally wishing I could die. Pounding head, heart pounding in my chest so hard I thought I was going to have a heart attack. Terrible stomach aches, feeling sick, feeling awful. Constant paranoia, omg, what did I do? Where did I go, and who with? Where's my bag? Where's my phone? How did I get home? Just think: I never, ever have to go through any of that again.

I just love, love being sober. It's taken me time. I've lost "drinking friends". I don't yearn for that old life any more, Standing in gritty pubs, making small talk with people I would never pass the time of day with, solely because of the booze. That ugly, false, deluded lifestyle that will take you down, wring you out and leave you for dead.

Being sober is a more peaceful existence. There are more hours in the day to do the things I want to do (or not, as is the case. I actually sometimes don't do much just watch Telly, lol). It really does get better, as I've read on SR so many times. Stick at it, it gets easier. It gets better. Thanks.
Old 11-29-2013, 10:56 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Great news!
Old 11-29-2013, 11:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
oak

I love being sober too. I love the feeling of sobriety in my body. And as you wrote, I love being able to do things during the day.
Old 11-29-2013, 11:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It is a great feeling...6 days in today..
Old 11-29-2013, 11:49 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I get this feeling often, because for some reason now Im sober I wake at 6am every day :-/ But its great, I love being hangover free and being able to go and have the whole day doing stuff instead of sulking in my pit.
Old 11-29-2013, 11:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Magsie

Fantastic Lilly, I couldn't agree more, I'm going out shopping shortly in the knowledge I am cold stone sober, if for any reason I get checked by police I hacpve a clear conscience, what a feeling!

Thankyou for letting us see how lucky we are.
Old 11-30-2013, 02:52 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I get reminders all the time that "I do not have to live like that anymore" and I am so grateful.

So many things I took for granted are now blessings that I get to see everyday. To come back from hell and get a brand new life. To live free and sober. God stuff!
Old 11-30-2013, 06:03 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

This is a helpful post to me right now. Sometimes (especially in the evening) I miss it sometimes and hit remember the positive. Reading this thread is making me remember the horrible mornings that aren't worth it. Here I am very awake, feeling good on a Saturday morning and it's great!

It's weird that my bad mornings have now been often replaced with bad (more mellow) evenings, and "good" evenings with good mornings. I hope to grow to where my evenings are filled with hobbies and such that didn't exist when I was getting hammered every night.
Old 11-30-2013, 06:20 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

What an excellent post! All true and it just keeps getting better. 6 months in and I'm still seeing positive changes in the way that I feel.

Keep on keeping on!
Old 11-30-2013, 06:52 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

So far I am loving it myself. Yay sobriety
Old 12-01-2013, 06:04 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thankyou so much for the reminder.... Id forgotten the horrible anxiety of the day after....
its brilliant getting up and Im not tired... 6 months into sobriety I think Id forgotten a little bit how horrible it was....

go you and everyone else who just hangs in there on the tough days
The gifts are in the smallest of things like getting up the next day and not being sick and paranoid
Old 12-01-2013, 06:27 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Loving sobriety as well. Looked at old photos today. Not many had clear eyes, more like the just got up look. 6 months now and looking wide awake.

And Loving it!
Old 12-01-2013, 06:39 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I cant stop getting up early now and going running ! 640am this morning was still dark, but I loved it . Looking back at the waste of my life through booze is really quite sad, but I am going to do many things now and that is the beauty of it, not being trapped in prison alcoHELL .

Lastly , what is it with FB and Twitter, why do people feel the need to post pictures of Pints of lager or glasses of red wine telling the world they are drugging themselves , find it most dull and tedious, poor them.
Old 12-01-2013, 06:41 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Scary profile pic Darkdays!
Old 12-01-2013, 12:35 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Sober from 11/19/13-1/18/14

Thank you. I'm on day 13 and I have moments where I feel good, but I'm struggling a lot. I hope to be saying the same, soon.
Old 12-01-2013, 12:39 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Yay! Agreed. :-)
Old 12-01-2013, 12:44 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Yeah I love it. I no longer feel different from my drinking friends either, well only in a good way. It can be funny when everyone asks me if they had behaved on a night out etc. One annoying thing is that I am always the designated driver and I hate driving. I was once stopped and breathalysed because the policeman said I was driving too slow of course it was negative and I just laughed it off.
Old 12-01-2013, 08:13 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
lillyknitting

Originally Posted by DarkDays View Post
I cant stop getting up early now and going running ! 640am this morning was still dark, but I loved it . Looking back at the waste of my life through booze is really quite sad, but I am going to do many things now and that is the beauty of it, not being trapped in prison alcoHELL .

Lastly , what is it with FB and Twitter, why do people feel the need to post pictures of Pints of lager or glasses of red wine telling the world they are drugging themselves , find it most dull and tedious, poor them.
That's all they've got in their lives, I know my "drinking friends" that's the highlight of their week. They cannot possibly think beyond anything involving a glass of wine!!!
Old 12-02-2013, 04:14 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

This post is great and I feel the same! I wake up every day at 5 am and can get so much done! I remember those dark days if hangover after hangover -yuck! I don't get cravings as much but when I do I see it all the way through to the bad night of sleep and yucky hangover. I quickly dismiss the need to drink. Plus all the good sober days give me new reasons to stay stopped!