Notices

Hey guys!, little advice

Old 11-29-2013, 06:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hey guys!, little advice

After drinking around 5-8 500ml cans of larger for the last two years daily, I made the stupid choice to go cold turkey with out informing my doctor....if only I knew....My therapist gave me a good old telling off, but at the same time praised that I went 3 weeks on my own with out help, however I would prefer some tablets rather than a pat on the back lol

I always thought i was a generally strong person but after a barrage of panic attacks, insomnia and general other nastiness, I realise differently

I've come to realise where my self is concerned, that alcohol works as a dam for emotions, hopefully some will agree that once that dam is knocked down the torrent goes whoosh? I was approaching 3 weeks, still not feeling 100% due to anxiety, so today after having a disagreement with my partner, I decided I didn't what to spend the night alone carrying this horrible anxiety.

So I decided i would have one beer and see how I was, purely for self medication, this anxiety is crippling (I know that might be hard to believe) in any case it tasted like rancid s**t to me but I felt unusually buzzed off one, my anxiety went any and I had a moments rest, until I vomited violently, and an hour later I had an other panic attack all though a mild one. Now here I am at 2:24 am UK time
Old 11-29-2013, 06:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Robbo, you might need to go to the ER. Alcohol detox is very dangerous.
Old 11-29-2013, 06:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yes this is why I was shouted at however that was 3 weeks ago I detoxed my self...that I know now was a bad idea
Old 11-29-2013, 06:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Robbo - welcome

yep- early recovery is an avalanche on pent up emotions.
It will get better, but it takes a little time and continued sobriety.

Unfortunately, the worst thing you can do is to try and self medicate anxiety with beer.

The alcohol is a major contributor to the anxiety - we become dependant on it so that when we start to withdraw we get anxious, which feeds into the anxiety we had already and tried to drink away....

If you drink hard and long enough, even one can will do it. Been there done that.

if your anxiety is crippling - make some noise - see your doctor and therapist and tell them exactly how you feel.

Tell them everything.

D
Old 11-29-2013, 06:42 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yeah I told the doctor, but he was concerned that, if I were to drink on diazepam I would kill my self and just referred me to therapy. Frustrating but I guess it's a cruel to be kind thing

Therapist is a nice guy, though today was mostly an induction type of thing, but I'm optimistic

Would this one beer have done me any harm?
Old 11-29-2013, 06:44 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Doctor like the others said is recommanded.

But you have to realize you are giving up a "best friend". This means you will experience grief. That brings anxiety. Try to determine why you feel stressed, see the outcome of sobriety. Make a list of why you need to stop.
Old 11-29-2013, 06:47 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you all for taking the time to notice, I never usually share my self with people...maybe this helped get me in this situation in the first place, but I guess if I'm going to get better I'm going to have to do a lot of it
Old 11-29-2013, 07:04 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I should also add that I'm 26, and other than the obvious In generally good health, I like the idea of a list I will sit down with my partner as she has made this as much her fight too bless her.

I keep asking when this anxiety will be done with but they can't say, and I don't know any recovered alcoholics personally, I know every ones different and with different underlying issues, but when did everyone's anxiety start to improve? Mostly I'm anxious about being anxious it's strange to me

Thanks again