Notices

My First Sober T Day

Old 11-28-2013, 08:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My First Sober T Day

This holiday is a HUGE drinking holiday in my family. Basically, there is all kinds of booze flowing all day. Beer, wine, shots, martinis...... I always drank freely and was the life of the party on Thanksgiving. This year will be strange not drinking. There are three bottles of wine right now in my house and more to come, wine is my drink of choice. I am nervous. I am trying to focus on tomorrow morning when I won't be dry heaving and crying with guilt of what I don't remember. xo to all of you, Have a wonderful Thanksgiving.
Old 11-28-2013, 08:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm right there with you. I agree: keep focusing on the day after you don't want to have.
Inevitably someone at Thanksgiving will bring up the "hilarious" time I passed out. I also am concentrating on achieving a shame-free holiday season with no regretful mornings. You can do it!
Old 11-28-2013, 09:27 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I sometimes wonder how much of our "upbringing" had to do with our drinking.

I imagine people that grow up in sober households, don't look forward to drunkenness.

At some point...I saw the adults drinking...they were teachers to me.

My goal was to be like them.

I believe if I grew up around people that didn't drink, that I wouldn't have learned this.

Did anyone grow up in sober homes, and then become alcoholic?
Old 11-28-2013, 09:41 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hang in there! Can you go for just a quick meal, and then leave? Or is the celebration at your house? (If so, maybe you could go for a walk around the block if you have any thoughts of drinking.)

Cathy
Old 11-28-2013, 09:46 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
DAB

Thanksgiving was never a big drinking holiday for me, I was too busy with my other addiction, getting stoned and then overeating!
My big drinking holidays were 4th of july, Halloween, and New years eve.
Happy Thanksgiving!
Old 11-28-2013, 10:46 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

My first thanksgiving sober too. Last year the holidays were a pretty dark time for me as my addiction was at its worst. Thankful to be sober today!
Old 11-28-2013, 11:02 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by KyrieEleison View Post
Did anyone grow up in sober homes, and then become alcoholic?
Yep, happened to me. For me it was going to college and joining a social life where drinking was prevalent.

Happy sober Thanksgiving to all.
Old 11-28-2013, 11:08 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Good luck, bleary. You can do it!
Old 11-28-2013, 05:25 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Semi-Professional Philosopher

Originally Posted by reducedquality View Post
Yep, happened to me. For me it was going to college and joining a social life where drinking was prevalent.

Happy sober Thanksgiving to all.
My parents never drank. For me, it was influences at my job. Everybody hit the bar after work.
Old 11-28-2013, 05:27 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

hows it going bleary?

D
Old 11-28-2013, 05:33 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hey All, thanks for all the support and understanding. I ended up having a glass of red with dinner. Thank god, I gathered the strength and stopped. I poured a second glass and then dumped it and made a cup of coffee. That was the first time I ever dumped a glass of wine. I am trying not to feel guilty and just move on and be grateful I am not drunk right now. Everyone is gone home and I dumped all the wine. Ugh!
Old 11-28-2013, 05:53 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Last Thanksgiving I received a call I'd dreaded but knew would some day come. One of my closest friends had finally succumbed to his addictions with a fatal overdose. Today was my first sober Thanksgiving in 25 years.
Old 11-28-2013, 07:24 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=KyrieEleison;4316950]I sometimes wonder how much of our "upbringing" had to do with our drinking.

I imagine people that grow up in sober households, don't look forward to drunkenness.

At some point...I saw the adults drinking...they were teachers to me.

My goal was to be like them.

I believe if I grew up around people that didn't drink, that I wouldn't have learned this.

Did anyone grow up in sober homes, and then become alcoholic?[/QUOTE

Kyrie i agree. We had a bar in our gameroom growing up fully stocked along with a beer tap which was always filled! Alcohol was always there. I am sure it contributed to my problem.

Last edited by newme2day; 11-28-2013 at 07:26 PM. Reason: typos
Old 11-28-2013, 07:55 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry you drank, but it's good you were able to stop - no doubt about that

Just be warned - your AV is likely to use that against you next time - 'remember when you had that glass of red wine and nothing bad happened?'

The most dangerous times for me were when 'nothing bad happened'.
Old 11-28-2013, 08:01 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Huh?

Kylie, yes I did actually grow up in a sober family. and on top of that, my mother was a substance abuse counselor!

But, i suspect addiction does run in my family.

Anyway yes, I grew up in a sober family. Saw my parents drink a glass of wine maybe twice a year at most.
Old 11-28-2013, 08:43 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear you drank, bleary. Perhaps it's best to "sit on the sidelines" for the upcoming holidays? I am dealing with nerves as well, and just posted about my feelings on another thread. For some of us, avoiding the holiday hype might just be for the best, at least for starters.

As for that glass of red you had, I'd like to direct you to an older thread that's been going around again recently. Maybe you can take something from this:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...get-drunk.html

All the best to you
Old 11-28-2013, 11:39 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thank you for sharing everyone. I was curious.

I guess what I mean is that at some point...we saw others drinking...were around people drinking, and thought...this is good...this is what I should do...drink...also.

I was thinking that if people were not exposed to booze that they would just be disinterested, or raised in a way that shaped them to avoid alcohol.

I guess it doesn't matter how you were raised.

Thank you for helping me to see this.

It still baffles me how I could go back to something that caused such harm time and time again.

Not today...Thank God. I didn't have to drink today.
Old 11-29-2013, 05:30 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bigsombrero View Post
Sorry to hear you drank, bleary. Perhaps it's best to "sit on the sidelines" for the upcoming holidays? I am dealing with nerves as well, and just posted about my feelings on another thread. For some of us, avoiding the holiday hype might just be for the best, at least for starters.

As for that glass of red you had, I'd like to direct you to an older thread that's been going around again recently. Maybe you can take something from this:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...get-drunk.html

All the best to you
Wow! Thanks for that link. Scary to see I said exactly those words. Thank you so much, all of you.
Old 11-29-2013, 05:31 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I'm sorry you drank, but it's good you were able to stop - no doubt about that

Just be warned - your AV is likely to use that against you next time - 'remember when you had that glass of red wine and nothing bad happened?'

The most dangerous times for me were when 'nothing bad happened'.
Ohhhhh! So true!
Old 11-29-2013, 06:39 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Not a drop of alcohol in the house for me growing up. My mom has told me the only drink she ever had was a sip of champagne at a wedding when she was a teenager, that is it. My parents are Mormon.
Thanksgiving day was never hard for me to not drink (well, till I met up with friends later) cuz I was around my parents all day so I never felt ok drinking in front of them. The hard part for me was the big bar night, the night before Thanksgiving. This was the first year I can remember since I was probably 19 or 20 that I did not go out the night before Thanksgiving. I did not miss it.