Notices

Had A Dream About Drinking

Old 11-23-2013, 12:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Had A Dream About Drinking

Last night I had a horrible dream that I had got super drunk and was sick..I woke up and fully expected to be in the middle of a wicked hangover. As I wiped the sleep from my eyes I realized I was fully sober and hungry for breakfast. It's been months since I drank last and I definitely don't miss waking up like that. Such a strange dream to have...

For those of you still drinking too often I can't describe the sense of relief when I found out that I hadn't went back to the "life" I once lived. You can achieve sobriety..I am living proof.
Old 11-23-2013, 02:06 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thx Notsosober!

My first drinking dream scared the hell out of me. Now I'm used to them. Sometimes I drink in the dream, but sometimes I turn the drink down. I like the latter.

Zube
Old 11-23-2013, 04:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Sometime within the first 30 days I had a dream that I drank. The dream was vivid and the disappointment was so overwhelming that I don't ever want to feel that when awake.

I was relieved when I woke up.
Old 11-23-2013, 12:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Nothing is impossible!

Those are using dreams and pretty standard for people in recovery. I have had more than a few, but not as many now being 2.5 years sober. They can sure be realistic though.
Old 11-23-2013, 01:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I haven't had any drinking dreams yet... I know that they're common... I'm waiting to have mine haha. Although, I have had dreams of getting arrested lol
Old 11-23-2013, 02:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Funny reading this thread as I got those dreams big time when I first quit. I would wake up in a cold sweat convinced I had drank. Once I even dialed my sponsor from bed and when she picked up, I realized what was going on. She thought it was funny but it took a good five minutes for my heart rate to slow down.

I haven't had one in about four months but did last night. I had one glass of wine in the dream and then proceeded to drink everything in the house, including cooking vanilla (which I never even did while drinking).

Scared the bejeezus out of me but I tend to take those things as a warning and a reminder. One glass= a straight descent back into the bowels of hell again.

No thank you.
Old 11-23-2013, 02:40 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

ptcapote- what a great reminder and way to stay in check! Maybe those dreams come when needed. So random at their timing... A friend of mine has been sober for 10 months and just had their first drinking dream. Weird.
Old 11-23-2013, 04:22 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I have these dreams still. It's funny how inside the dream I hear myself saying "Oh no, it really IS happening this time," because my subconscious knows that this is a typical fear of mine and anyone else's to be having this dream.
Old 11-23-2013, 04:29 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

By the way, I'm pretty sure my anniversary is tonight/tomorrow (4 years), and it's still going OK. (Yea!)

Hi to everyone.
Old 11-23-2013, 04:31 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I have dreams of sneaking alcohol, and even in the dream I feel guilty about it! It seems so real that when I wake up I expect to feel like crap and am soooo grateful that it was just a dream.
Old 11-23-2013, 04:37 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Good post! I can't resist reading posts about these kind of dreams because I had them so vividly when I first quit. Thank GOD they are just dreams!

I like to think of these dreams as our brains repairing old pathways we used to travel. As the road crew approaches a now useless exit ramp, they stop, dig it up, and then plant some trees and grass where that ramp used to be before moving on. Those dreams are simply our own mental road crews, making a repair stop, before continuing on the highway to sobriety.
Old 11-23-2013, 08:04 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bigsombrero View Post
I like to think of these dreams as our brains repairing old pathways we used to travel. As the road crew approaches a now useless exit ramp, they stop, dig it up, and then plant some trees and grass where that ramp used to be before moving on. Those dreams are simply our own mental road crews, making a repair stop, before continuing on the highway to sobriety.
I like this! What a great (and creative) way to look at it. Thanks, BigS
Old 11-23-2013, 08:54 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I had a dream last night just like that! I was so happy when I realized it didn't happen and it was just a dream. Phew!
Old 11-24-2013, 04:57 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

My 2 year anniversary is this Friday... And oh man the dreams are back. I hate them, but they are only dreams in the end.

I one the other night I was drinking a Cosmo and had convinced myself it would different this time, I wasn't really alcoholic but jut had a bout of problem drinking.

When I woke up there was a sense of relief that it was just a dream, followed by uggggggh!!! Then a thought of gee am I maybe not alcoholic? (In my half asleep daze) followed by "that's your av! Run!!!".
Old 11-25-2013, 01:39 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I've talked about "drinking dreams" quite a bit on here, but I don't mind talking about my experience with them at all. I was having them a lot early in my sobriety and I would wake up with all the same feelings that are attached to it. Guilt, shame, etc...

They do come less and less however and that's the good news.

Looking back now the 'drinking dreams' almost defined my early success/struggles with staying sober. I was able to be reminded how it felt to 'throw away my sobriety' without really doing it, along with reminding to stay vigilant in dealing with this disease. Its like I went threw the pain in order to heal.

I'm coming up on my 3 year sobriety date and dealing with the drinking dreams with a vital part of my success to staying sober

Hope this helps. Good luck!!
Old 11-25-2013, 01:48 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

I don't have so many now, but I do have really weird dreams in general.
Old 01-10-2014, 07:27 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I was always ashamed of the amount and in particular the type of strong larger I used to drink. Special Brew is always related to down and out's, which I don't think I was, holding a full time job and a loving family too.

My dream was a mixture of, "OH NO" im drinking again and also the Shame that people close to me, who I was hiding my drinking from discovered what filthy strong rubbish I was drinking. In my dream I was trying to hide the cans of beer so no one would find out. Anyway I believe the dream related to my real world as in the shame I felt and the need to hide it. I think the dream represented to me what I would consider one of the worst case scenarios in the real world. When I woke up, I thought I was still drunk, it was very odd. But like everyone else here, I was so glad I was still sober and think it actually helped me further on the path of staying sober.
Old 01-10-2014, 07:49 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

I sometimes actually dream I am drinking moderately which is an odd one. But it's that old crafty AV int it? At least I realise that, but they still happen from time to time.
Old 01-10-2014, 07:53 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

KateL,

I've had a few of them in the past, even then I used to feel I've let myself down. Best feeling when you wake up all clear headed!
Old 01-10-2014, 08:23 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Quite a nice feeling actually