Notices

Should I quit my job to get sober

Old 11-22-2013, 11:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Should I quit my job to get sober

So I have been a recovering alcoholic for a few years now. I've relapsed more times than there are numerals. My boss has been incredibly understanding regarding the whole issue. I had a seizure at work and was hospitalized for a few weeks. I had been drinking since October and been tapering ever since but I am wondering if I should just quit and get some help. This week was one of the worst and nothing seems to get better. I feel like I can't multy task this stuff. It's been a couple of days off then a couple weeks on. Nothing has improved in my life. I know my boss understands and said she would hire me again after it all, but I'm wondering if this is a a good decision? I'm afraid if I don't do this soon, I'll be dead! Any advice would help.

I've also already been asked by my dr to do the fmla act but I don't want to do that to my boss because I don't know if I can ever come back to work after that.
Old 11-22-2013, 11:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I realize I weirded that question weirdly and will rephrase. Do you think it's alright to quit a decent job to seek help?
Old 11-23-2013, 12:02 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

At the end of the day you won't be here to work at all if you dont seek help, it seems you know that. Your boss sounds very understanding. Do you need the to quit or can you just take some leave? I would say take the time you need to be well regardless. There will be other jobs. You wont get another life.

I wish you well. Be kind to yourself.
Old 11-23-2013, 12:07 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

what would you do if you quit Rock?

D
Old 11-23-2013, 12:09 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Try18 View Post
At the end of the day you won't be here to work at all if you dont seek help, it seems you know that. Your boss sounds very understanding. Do you need the to quit or can you just take some leave? I would say take the time you need to be well regardless. There will be other jobs. You wont get another life.

I wish you well. Be kind to yourself.
Thanks for the kind words
Old 11-23-2013, 12:14 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
what would you do if you quit Rock?

D
I do have enough money saved up for a while that I was saving for a house but would put it to an inpatient clinic. I've tried some decent outpatient programs in the past and i really don't want to quit my job, but I see no other option right now unless I take this head on. I'm also scared that I had another seizure 2 nights ago while sleeping to be scared enough to make a drastic change.
Old 11-23-2013, 12:21 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Also, I know there is no medical advice allowed and since I mentioned a seizure, But i do not know what happened to me a few days ago and I woke up on the floor with carpet burns and my dog licking my face. No one was home at the time and that would have been my second one
Old 11-23-2013, 12:30 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'd consider the FMLA route first. It's a tough job market out there.

It's great to be noble and I remember you wouldn't go to rehab before because you didn't want your folks to pay for it, but nobility that puts you on the breadline once you come out of rehab seems a little extreme.

If you really don't like this job, or honestly feel it's beyond you, that's another thing - but I'd still give it all some serious thought before you make a move.

Are you still tapering? I wasn't sure - big decisions are best made with some sober time behind you I think. My head was a mess for a while.

Your priority is rehab - granted. Work backwards from that maybe?

D
Old 11-23-2013, 12:46 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I'd consider the FMLA route first. It's a tough job market out there.

It's great to be noble and I remember you wouldn't go to rehab before because you didn't want your folks to pay for it, but nobility that puts you on the breadline once you come out of rehab seems a little extreme.

If you really don't like this job, or honestly feel it's beyond you, that's another thing - but I'd still give it all some serious thought before you make a move.

Are you still tapering? I wasn't sure - big decisions are best made with some sober time behind you I think. My head was a mess for a while.

Your priority is rehab - granted. Work backwards from that maybe?

D
I tapered and this is my last day. Actually don't feel to bad for once but I'm worried I've never solved this problem. I don't really like my job, but have never really hated it and it would be hard to quit. One of those jobs you can stand and the pay and people are good. I don't know if I can take doing both things at once. It's sad because at my job I can multietask task many things. When it comes to my personal life, I can only do one at a time. Wish it was the opposite.
Old 11-23-2013, 01:06 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'd say yes, I'd sacrifice ANYTHING for sobriety, but at the end of the day, job or no job, it boils down to how much you really want it.

Not to sound harsh, but if you have relapsed more times than there are numerals, what makes this time any different?

I've been to inpatient, and there are more drugs and alcohol smuggled into inpatient than you'd ever believe.

How much do you want it this time?

I wish you luck, my friend. And not to get all religious, but I'd pray on this one if I were in your shoes.

Peace,
Zube
Old 11-23-2013, 01:20 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Rock2534 View Post
I tapered and this is my last day. Actually don't feel to bad for once but I'm worried I've never solved this problem. I don't really like my job, but have never really hated it and it would be hard to quit. One of those jobs you can stand and the pay and people are good. I don't know if I can take doing both things at once. It's sad because at my job I can multietask task many things. When it comes to my personal life, I can only do one at a time. Wish it was the opposite.
Hi rock,

My main concern would be what are you planning to do with all that time on your hands? It was hard enough getting through the 5pm voice in my head, and keep myself busy at night and on the weekend in early sobriety.

I see no job and a potential relapse with 100% free time a huge danger! particularly given your journey so far.

I would question that part of you that's convincing you of giving up your job. Or, have I misread and you want to quit your job because you want to go to inpatient rehab?
Old 11-23-2013, 01:27 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

I assumed you meant quitting to go into rehab or something similar, did I get the wrong end of the stick?
Old 11-23-2013, 03:00 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I cant say anything about quitting job, but I will comment on this:
"So I have been a recovering alcoholic for a few years now. I've relapsed more times than there are numerals."

recovery doesn't have more relapses than there are numerals.
active alcoholism does.
Old 11-23-2013, 04:59 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Grateful

Rock,

I would recommend taking the 12 weeks of leave that FMLA offers first. If you are not ready to go back to work at the end of 12 weeks you can always quit at that point. If you quit your job now you would have to go on COBRA and pay the company's group rate for your health insurance (if you decided to keep it) where as with FMLA all of your benefits from your job stay intact. If you decide to go into inpatient (or outpatient) treatment your health insurance should cover some of that cost. I don't see where you would have anything to lose by taking the FMLA leave first and then see where you are at after 12 weeks.
Old 11-23-2013, 05:27 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I'm in the FMLA camp. What if you boss doesn't hire you back?
No money and too much time can lead to relapse.

I wouldn't just assume the job would be there or that she would hire someone else
and just fire them when you wanted to come back.

My job was the stability thing I needed to stop and keep stopped with booze and on
a schedule. My husband isn't working right now and all that time is hard to fill,
He drinks more than ever. So it can be a double edged sword.

That said, obviously quitting should be the most important thing. But if you
can get treatment and keep your job, I would certainly try that first.
Old 11-23-2013, 05:38 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Grungehead View Post
Rock,

I would recommend taking the 12 weeks of leave that FMLA offers first. If you are not ready to go back to work at the end of 12 weeks you can always quit at that point. If you quit your job now you would have to go on COBRA and pay the company's group rate for your health insurance (if you decided to keep it) where as with FMLA all of your benefits from your job stay intact. If you decide to go into inpatient (or outpatient) treatment your health insurance should cover some of that cost. I don't see where you would have anything to lose by taking the FMLA leave first and then see where you are at after 12 weeks.
It seems like this would be the most sensible option. If you can take the FMLA instead of quitting, it would be more beneficial to you. Then you won't have the added stress of looking for a new job and if you find it to be too much after you go back you can quit then.

If you're having seizures you really should seek medical treatment NOW. This is a life or death situation.

Good luck to you. Sending much love and healing your way.
Old 11-23-2013, 07:55 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Zube View Post
I'd say yes, I'd sacrifice ANYTHING for sobriety, but at the end of the day, job or no job, it boils down to how much you really want it.

Not to sound harsh, but if you have relapsed more times than there are numerals, what makes this time any different?

I've been to inpatient, and there are more drugs and alcohol smuggled into inpatient than you'd ever believe.

How much do you want it this time?

I wish you luck, my friend. And not to get all religious, but I'd pray on this one if I were in your shoes.

Peace,
Zube
This time I really feel like I hit rock bottom. And if things get worse, and I really don't know how they can, I don't want to go there. I've spent a week just sitting in bed tapering. I really didn't even watch tv. I'm not a religious man and only go to church for weddings, but I'm willing to give aa a try. I looked at my life during this time and saw that I really had nothing left. Have a few friends, girlfriend and family. And I'm pretty sure I'm about to lose the family part of it.
Old 11-23-2013, 07:58 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Croissant View Post
Hi rock,

My main concern would be what are you planning to do with all that time on your hands? It was hard enough getting through the 5pm voice in my head, and keep myself busy at night and on the weekend in early sobriety.

I see no job and a potential relapse with 100% free time a huge danger! particularly given your journey so far.

I would question that part of you that's convincing you of giving up your job. Or, have I misread and you want to quit your job because you want to go to inpatient rehab?
I probably wrote my wrong intentions. Inpatient rehab or at least an intensive outpatient program. Not just sitting here doing what I've been doing the past week.
Old 11-23-2013, 07:59 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Try18 View Post
I assumed you meant quitting to go into rehab or something similar, did I get the wrong end of the stick?
Yes, rehab.
Old 11-23-2013, 08:00 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
EndGame

Originally Posted by Grungehead View Post
I don't see where you would have anything to lose by taking the FMLA leave first and then see where you are at after 12 weeks.
That's the ticket.