Notices

Permanent Nerve Damage from Alcohol Withdrawal?

Old 11-22-2013, 10:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Permanent Nerve Damage from Alcohol Withdrawal?

Greetings,

I was wondering if anyone else has experienced symptoms similar to the following:

I went through withdrawal after a 4-5 day binge (my first withdrawal ever) and during the 5 days it took to go through the worst experience of my life, I heard music very profoundly in my head at all times. Sometimes it was just chatter mixed with music but it was all very audible and not like my usual brain function day to day. I figure perhaps my CNS just got a bit fried during the withdrawal. Hypersensitive nerves perhaps?

Now, 48 days later I still have songs that go on repeat to a degree that Ive never ever experienced. Like I can't turn off the radio playing in my brain and it just keeps on going and going. Lately its so noticeable and it gives me tension headaches on top of it…

Anyone experience anything like this??

I can only imagine with this side effect still going 1.5 months later, kindling would be a sure thing for me if I ever touched alcohol again…
Old 11-22-2013, 10:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Any kind of auditory hallucination needs to checked out I think shay?

D
Old 11-22-2013, 10:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I've always had that happen mostly when I go to bed a song will just keep playing in my head even if I wasn't drinking or withdrawaling not sure why, it can be very annoying I started just counting backwards from 100 till I fell asleep. I'm probalbly not mot much help but I totally know what your talking about...
Old 11-22-2013, 11:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I used to get a song stuck in my head every now and again and it was annoying, but this is just a new level. I can cancel my sirius radio package, I have one built in my brain now! hahaaa... and …arrrrggh!
Old 11-22-2013, 11:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm not talking about what they call earworms - getting a particular song in your head.
I get that all the time

I think Shay is speaking about something quite different, yeah Shay?

edit yeah - you answered my question
why not go and see a Dr - at least you'll have peace of mind that way - and maybe radio silence too

D
Old 11-22-2013, 11:06 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Oh sorry....
Old 11-22-2013, 11:11 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Earworms? I think I missed something in the replies.

I have an appt to see a doctor in early December. I will see what he says. It's not debilitating but it is noticeable to me because I had such auditory side effects with the withdrawal and now this 'new' thing is happening that was not before my last binge...

I was hoping it would go away in time...
Old 11-22-2013, 11:14 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I just wanted to make sure exactly what you meant.
'Earworms' are different. The name describes when you hear a song and it sticks in your head.

I hope you get some answers from your Dr

D
Old 11-22-2013, 11:53 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Anxious and repetitive thoughts have definitely been part of my withdrawals in the past. It made me think about what it would be like to have ADHD with the inability to chose what to focus on. I think it seemed to go hand in hand with anxiety. If you are beyond the initial rather intense part of withdrawal they should be gone. If they are still there I would second Dee's suggestion of seeing a doctor.
Old 11-23-2013, 05:56 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I had a similar kind of thing with the music when I was drinking, when I woke up or went to sleep drinking. It sometimes "played" all day.

For me, it faded over time, but 48 days is pretty long. It is a good idea to check it out with a doctor. Also, try some short meditations, as I found them helpful to "clear" my mind for awhile.

Best of luck and well done on your 48 days!