Notices

almost 5 months...

Old 11-21-2013, 09:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

almost 5 months...

haven't posted in a long while. I almost have 5 months sober at this point. I am active in AA, chair a meeting, have a sponsor, and am working the steps. I have rectified my family issues, it seems that they have forgiven me and am proud.. I have a job in my field that pays well, but I don't feel very secure there, as they have let alot of people go.I am playing music again, which is my passion. Anyway - these last 2 to 3 days have been very empty and just feeling down, like "this is it" ? granted I have friends in and out of the rooms, just alone..lacking a significant other, but I know that would probably not be good right now. I think it's like I feel I messed up so bad and wasted so much time that I feel it is too late. I am 45 years old now. I think that actually sums it up.. Its the sadness that I have wasted so much time. I should be seeing the world, playing more music, etc.. this sounds lame and I need to get off the pity pot... sorry..I know the alternative to all of this way worse.. .. by the way, i take anti-depressants, so that is not something I need to look into at this point.. thanks for reading..
Old 11-21-2013, 09:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey Pete, I know how you feel. I am 43 and can relate to the amount of my life I feel like I "wasted". My drinking destroyed my marriage and hurt many of those around me. Taking those things into consideration I know that I have a good portion of my life still in front of me. I wasted many of the first 43 years but by stopping my abuse of alcohol I have the control to not waste anymore. Is it perfect? No, but is what I have got. I refuse to give up anymore of my years to alcohol and am going to make the most of what I have left.

Hang in there Pete. 5 months is an amazing accomplishment.
Old 11-21-2013, 10:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Pete - Good to 'see' you

I had thoughts like that too my first year or so...it's only when I can look back and see the whole picture I can see I'm exactly where I was meant to be.

My life hasn't turned out like I thought it would...but thats a good thing, because the way it's turned out is even better I think

Congrats on your 5 months - and keep the faith - this is definitely not it..not by a long shot....

Recovery is the gift that literally keeps on giving - there's always more to come...

D
Old 11-21-2013, 10:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hiya Pete ;-) congrats on almost 5 months .

Would love to see you drop in for a hi in the July class xxx

You would be very welcomed, people all who gave up in July ...
Old 11-22-2013, 01:00 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

It doesn't sound lame at all. I find that I feel the "is this it" thing when I am coming up to milestones. Felt like that at around 6 months and then again before my year. Like a blah, what have a I accomplished, where do I want to go, what is the point etc. And I'm 48.

I honestly think that these feelings are common and it is okay for us to feel like this sometimes. I just make sure to take stock and make sure that I'm not becoming complacent or trying to set myself up for a fall.

I can't be happy and chippy 100% of the time. I have goods days and I have bad days and you know what? It is okay to have bad days sometimes and feel bit sad for ourselves. We are only human.
Old 11-22-2013, 02:33 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
~sb

What step are you working on?
Old 11-22-2013, 04:18 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

thanks for the feedback everyone.. I am on step 4 sugarbear1....
Old 11-22-2013, 06:21 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Pete, look at the "time wasted" as time well spent. While it may have caused turmoil and shame to live that time, that experience is a fundamental resource to you. It serves as an indelible reminder of what you don't want and what you strive to rectify on a daily basis.