Notices

Fine Dining

Old 11-21-2013, 06:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Fine Dining

Being sober has changed my life for the better in so many ways, and as I near the five year mark I can honestly say that I don't ever miss drinking. At the end of my drinking life I would never have believed that this could happen. I mourned the loss of alcohol like it was the death of a great love. It seems ridiculous now.

The one area of my life that has changed dramatically is eating out. I live near Los Angeles, and this is the land where fine dining is practically an Olympic sport. I used to love long, wine soaked evenings at some restaurant. I could spend hours over a meal. Now, I don't really like spending a long time dining out (except at home, where we spend hours talking sometimes). In fact, food isn't nearly as important to me as it once was. I'm not in any way criticizing this kind of entertainment. It just doesn't hold the same appeal. For one thing, I don't find myself nearly as interesting as I used to when I was half in the bag. It's embarrassing to remember how I used to pontificate over things I don't even know that much about! I remember conversations (well, sort of remember) when all I did was wait for whoever I was talking to to shut up so I could start talking again. Now I really pay attention, and I love talking to people who are passionate about what they love.

I'm sure that many of you still enjoy dining out, and that's great. I just wondered if anyone else found that they didn't spend as much time in restaurants.
Old 11-21-2013, 06:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Hi Longbeach, I have a fine dining date coming up and I was wishing I could have some wine with the food, but your email really helped me put it in perspective. I will just enjoy the food
As an aside, I'm a fast eater and have to wait around for others to finish, so I'm always ready to go long before everyone else.
Old 11-21-2013, 06:22 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Great post LBO and Congratulations on almost 5 years. That is an amazing accomplishment!

Yesterday, I celebrate my first ever 3 month sober birthday (with all consecutive days too!!)!!!

My favorite past time has always been dining out. Or, just sitting a local bar, ordering a light dinner, and having a few glasses of red wine...

Now, when I go out or just sit at the local bar and only order food, I am bored. All I want is for my food to come out quickly, eat, and then go. I honestly do not see the point of just sitting there!

Fine dining is a whole other thing. I have not had a nice fine dining experience since August. I am not ready for that and do worry about a few engagements I have coming up at the end of the year. I don't think I am strong enough in my sobriety to say no. I have been thinking of making a last minute excuse not to go... Or, just lie and say that I am on antibiotics... I dunno...

And I have been thinking about this for a few days now. It's like you posted what I was just thinking... Thank-you!!!
Old 11-21-2013, 06:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I still vaguely miss the taste of really good wine with a good meal. I don't miss the huge money of drinking while dining. I eat normally now that I don't drink anymore and that gives me a fresh perspective on food that still thrills me after two years. I used to hate the thought of breakfast but now I eat it every day!

Overall, thinking about it, I have spent less time in restaurants since I quit. I'm sure it's because I don't gravitate towards drinking any more.
Old 11-22-2013, 07:40 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

LBO get out of my head! LOL. Seriously, being a "diner" is something I prided myself on and I used it as an excuse to keep drinking for years. My husband and I both worked in restaurants for years and there was nothing we liked more than going out to a nice restaurant and sitting at the chef's table for a couple hours while eating and drinking our way through the menu. When I admitted to him that I was an alcoholic, his first question was, "How are we going to go out to eat anymore?"

In all honesty I DO miss pairing wine and other drinks with course after course, we made a clam linguine the other night that just screamed for a glass of pinot gris! But the side effects outweigh the "benefits" for me. It takes a moment to remember/convince myself of that, but I've never regretted NOT drinking. Now let me tell you about all the nice dinners that I HAVE regretted drinking through...
Old 11-22-2013, 01:48 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

My experience is kinda the opposite LOL,

I never went out much for a meal - now I often will - I enjoy it, and because I know it's just a meal...not the start of another bender

D