Notices

Britain's secret drinkers

Old 11-21-2013, 03:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
lillyknitting

Britain's secret drinkers

Just watched a tv programme called britains secret drinker. It really was an eye opener. Not because of the drinkers being a secret, far from it, nowadays more and more people drink at home, drink every day, drink all the time. Lots of my friends admit to drinking every day. There doesn't seem to be any stigma to it, it's accepted as normal. It's not. It's not normal to come home after a hard days work and drink alcohol. When I was growing up everyone worked hard, nobody harder than my mum who brought us up single handed, but she didn't reach for the bottle as an excuse for a hard day, one just got on with it and poured a cup of tea.

My shock was the actual amount this lady consumed in a week, without realizing it, coupled with the horrendous calorie intake. But, when she received the results of her tests the doctor said she should stop drinking for six months. I thought flaming Ada, six months. I know no one, not one single friend of mine or member of my family or my husbands family who could give up for six months. It sure does bring it home the enormity of our problem.
Old 11-21-2013, 03:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Watched it , found the programme rather weak but never the less highlighted what we all know.
The lady that drank every night and looked mortified being told she would have to stop for 6 months shows how brainwashed and conditioned we are to think we " have" to drink to enjoy anything in life.

The next programme highlighting the devils island we live in was bouncers c4 which was on a few hours later showed the wonderful joyous behaviour of people drinking the equally wonderful drug alcoHELL.
Old 11-22-2013, 07:34 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I thought it was a really weak programme too.
Old 11-22-2013, 10:57 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Britain drinking problems are epidemic, right up there with Russia.
Check this out. Very hard hitting doc on booze in Britain.

Rain In My Heart (1 of 10) - YouTube
Old 11-22-2013, 11:50 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Come to Australia - it's deeply, deeply embedded in our culture since the first convicts. The Rum Rebellion springs to mind - and that was nearly 200 years ago!
Old 11-22-2013, 06:41 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I am an American alcoholic. My cousin married an Englishman with their ceremony and reception at the barbican. I was there. Almost everyone there were the grooms family and friends and some of my cousin's co workers. Even I was blown away at the staggering amount of beer consumed by a relatively small number of people at the reception. Although, maybe I just haven't been behind the scenes at a wedding here in America. I just recall a mound of empty green bottles.

Have to say that on a bad day I would certainly accumulate a large bin of empty cans and bottles.
Old 11-22-2013, 11:57 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

Try Scottish weddings ... The amount of alcohol consumed is unreal! In fact the amount people drink here on a daily basis is unreal. Its considered the norm.