Notices

Delusions

Old 11-20-2013, 08:49 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Administrator

The first step is detoxing safely - then you start looking for the kind of support you want - some people go to AA or other groups, some go to counselling, some go to inpatient or outpatient rehab - others find using forums like these can be enough.

You will have to make some lifestyle changes too I guess - it's not easy but drinking like we did isn't easy either - at least things do get better when you're sober and in recovery.

D
Old 11-20-2013, 08:56 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Yes, right now my future looks blank! I can see past this point! I am so use to having something in my system...I thought it made me more social. When, in fact I was just a greedy person. Only looking out for my next high! Again, I can thank you guys enough for all of your advice! I have been so alone in this and I feel so much better asking for help!
Old 11-20-2013, 09:01 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Administrator

I did drugs or drank for 30 years - you can change, and there is hope

D
Old 11-20-2013, 09:04 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
EndGame

Originally Posted by msgrayson View Post
Wow! That really makes this problem so much more real! I thought I didn't have a problem...it has only been three months! I still need to be here an healthy for my family! I was hoping detox and tapering at home was an option...but I now understand it is way different from Opiates! What did I do? If anyone is till reading I would love to hear how you cope after...Opiate (now alcohol) was my reward system, what I looked forward to! I am scared I will not know how to live sober. Life seems so boring. I wish I could kick that thought...but once that door is open, you can never close it! I want to be happy again! Before Drugs and alcohol!
Your condition is uncommon, but it is not unique. Alcohol affects each of us differently, and there is no reliable timeline on when we will suffer consequences from our drinking, and how our detoxing will go.

A couple of months ago, a young guy of about twenty years came to one of the meetings I attend. He was told by his doctor that his liver was shot, and that he'd need a transplant. At age twenty. He could not be placed on a waiting list for a new liver unless and until he completed six months of IOP treatment and attended AA regularly during that time.

He came around for a few more weeks, and then disappeared. I ran into him recently, and he did not look well. When I said "Hello," he didn't seem to recognize me and kept on walking.

When you drink heavily for any period of time, you're overloading your system with poison. This means that virtually anything can happen. My only recommendation for people who are attempting to get sober is to see a doctor, regardless of how few or how weak you assess your withdrawal symptoms to be, and regardless of any individual circumstances. I've seen too much to ever change my opinion.
Old 11-20-2013, 10:46 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

What your describing are auditory hallucinations not delusions. Auditory hallucinations are the most common hallucinations. Delusions are thoughts or beliefs you have that have no basis in reality. Like if you believe the mafia has put a hit on you. You need to go to the ER and get admitted to the psych

ward. They will be able to figure out if this is drug induced or a background mental health issue and get you on proper medication quickly. i had auditory hallucinations just like yours after using marijuana. I thought i heard a baseball game and a commentator in the background but the tv and radio were not on.
Old 11-20-2013, 11:11 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=EndGameNYC;4303443]

He came around for a few more weeks, and then disappeared. I ran into him recently, and he did not look well. When I said "Hello," he didn't seem to recognize me and kept on walking.
/QUOTE]

That's incredibly sad poor guy. I really hope that's not the last time you see him. Serious stuff.

msgrayson. just stop the madness. Get yourself to detox.
Its not that bad at all...DO IT!

goodluck
Old 11-20-2013, 11:15 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I think some of us are missing the point, the poster doesn't want his/her friends and family to know there is a problem, also the hospital is 2 hours away.

Instead of admitting you have a drink problem, get someone to take you to the ER for a different reason, perhaps a problem that you might not want to discuss or some difficulties in an area of the body that is private?

Once at the hospital you can have a private consultation and discuss the problems in confidence. You dont need the family member in the doctors room.

That would be my suggestion.
Old 11-20-2013, 11:23 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

the last quit i did before this one, i had auditory and visual hallucinations. you must see a doctor for a supervised detox.
Old 11-20-2013, 11:28 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by MrTumble View Post
I think some of us are missing the point, the poster doesn't want his/her friends and family to know there is a problem, also the hospital is 2 hours away.
Surely the biggest point here is detox can be deadly or, as in my case, unsupervised detox can leave you with lifelong health issues.

Good health has to be more important that people knowing, or the length of journeys to hospital.

D
Old 11-21-2013, 04:12 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I agree Dee, but sometimes we worry about things as if they are more important than they are. Im not trying to dismiss the importance of getting help, im just trying to give an option where help can be gained without worrying about the immediate concern that family wil find out and cause even more problems.
Old 11-21-2013, 08:44 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Smile Update

Just wanted to update and let you know where I stand, as you were all there in a critical moment in my life! You may have saved my life. I did not realize the danger I was putting myself in! I called a detox center today and they are going to call me in the morning to let me know what date I can go in! It should be less than two weeks! I am ashamed to say I lied to my husband..I told him that I have bladder infection that need IV antibiotics an requires a hospital stay. I could not handle the shame he would have of knowing i got another addiction! He still does not let me live the opiates down. He can not understand how I can be so weak and let it happen. I am excited to get past this and just want to do it now! I want to be happy again and enjoy life without having to be high! In a million years I never imagine myself in this position! I am fighting for y life now and am trying so hard to remember I am worth it! Thank you all for the support! You will never know how much each response meant to me! I felt so alone an came here and got god advice that will save my life! I would have detoxed at home to hide this all and probably died! I have 6 children that still need me! I can not thank you all enough for your time and will continue to update.Someday someone in my position may come across this thread and realize they are not alone. And that they should seek help...I really never would have sought treatment if all of you hadn't told me I need to. Sorry for the ramble!
Old 11-21-2013, 08:50 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think thats a good decision - best wishes

D