Notices

Need advice

Old 06-10-2004, 03:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Need advice

Just a little history, then the question.
I am a recovering addict, ( DOC opiates, i.e. hydrocodone, tylenol with codiene and the like). I have 5 1/2 years of sobriety.
Now the problem/question.
I have a co-worker who I suspect is drinking on the job. We work in a medical office. It does not appear to affect her work, but we travel from office to office, 3-4 days a week. I fear her driving under the influence. She has worked with me for about 6 months and early on I would sometimes think I smelled liquor on her breath, but it was so fleeting I brushed it off. About 2 weeks ago she invited myself and another co-worker over for a barbacue and she drank 3 drinks to my friends one and I drank nothing. She became much more "loose" and happy as the evening progressed. A week later she had the same co-worker over and got smashed, so much so that my friend "T" stayed until "C" went to bed, for fear she would hurt herself. She apparently has no recollection of that event as "C" has never mentioned it again.
Today, she left a water bottle open in the kitchen of our office and I got a whiff of alcohol.
I want to help. I am not sure how. If I confront her in private, how do I go about it? My friend "T" is willing to help me. I want to share my experience strength and hope, and I have with many in the past, but never have had to on such a personal level.
I want to do what is right. I know I can't fix her--but to ignore the situation seems irresponsible. Especially with all the driving we do.
It is so reassuring to know you all are out there.
Old 06-10-2004, 04:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Dawn,
I'd suggest letting your friend know that you've detected alcohol in the work place. Give her as much info about yourself as you're comfortable with and offer her help if she wants help but let her know that the next time you detect alcohol in the work place, you'll report the incident to a supervisor.
Old 06-10-2004, 07:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Dawn, I agree that to ignore this is irresponsible. Not only the risk to others on the road, but with her working in a medical office, is there a possibility she could make a mistake somehow and harm a patient? I would definately confront her, possibly with your friend T also present. I think if she wants to drink at home, that is one thing. But when she brings it into the workplace, where others will possibly be affected, its time to step in.
Old 06-11-2004, 04:09 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Red face Need advice

Thank you for your responses. I think I knew deep down what you have told me, but that old fear steps in. I will talk with "T" this weekend and see if we can formulate a non-threatening way to address this. Your help is greatly appreciated.
Old 06-11-2004, 08:05 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

"Interventions" are often a delicate matter and most alcoholics will not take kindly to threats or ultimatums.

It is important to voice your concerns and to let the alcoholic know that help is available but it has to be done in a nonconfrontational kind of way.

You might just turn out to be the one person able to help your co worker because of your own experience with addiction so try to understand as much as you can about the process of intervention before you make a move.
Old 06-11-2004, 03:41 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you Peter, I had not thought about it that way. I will do the research and talk to my therapist, also an addictions counselor. :veryhappy