Notices

Studies on non-alcoholic beer vs. relapse?

Old 11-19-2013, 12:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Studies on non-alcoholic beer vs. relapse?

I was wondering if there had been any studies done regarding whether or not drinking non-alcoholic beer can lead to relapse?

I know that there are strong opinions on both sides of this topic.

Personally, I won't drink N/A beer because it has been suggested to me that it contains some alcohol and that in and of itself might trigger relapse.

Zube
Old 11-19-2013, 12:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

A pretty comprehensive study could probably be done on the daily arguments about it here on SR alone.

Why were you wondering - are you hoping there are studies showing it doesn't lead to relapse so you can drink some?
Old 11-19-2013, 12:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I ran across this and figured I would share.

"Other than the fact that all "NA" beer does contain a small amount of alcohol, there is now a new study out that seems to support the theory that it can cause a relapse for recovering alcoholics.

In the November issue of the Journal Alcoholism: Clinical & Experimental Research, a team of California scientists report that smell may be enough to trigger cravings and a subsequent relapse among certain alcoholics.

In their laboratory experiments, rats were trained to self-administer alcohol or a bitter, white substance called quinine when they smelled either orange or banana. The smell of banana was used when the rats consumed alcohol, while the smell of orange was presented to them when the rats tasted quinine.

Both alcohol and the anticipation of alcohol may raise levels of a brain chemical called dopamine, which plays a role in feelings of elation and pleasure, according to the investigators. The researchers found increases in dopamine in the rats' brains before and after smelling these "alcohol-related cues." One visitor to our Forum said her family member seemed to develop the same attitudes and behavior while drinking NA Beer as he used to do when he was drinking the real stuff. This finding could help explain that phenomenon."
Old 11-19-2013, 12:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hey Scott-
You are right that a study could be done from SR. But no, I wouldn't drink NA beer regardless. I drank to get drunk, not for the taste. To me, they may as we'll be offering an NA whiskey. No fun.

Zube
Old 11-19-2013, 12:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I haven't read the study NorCal but I can attest to the smell triggering a relapse. I posted the other day that I found 2 bottles of champagne while cleaning the other day and dumped them down the drain. I've been sober over 5 years and the smell of that champagne was incredible. I was not prepared for that kind of reaction.
Old 11-19-2013, 12:51 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

"a team of California scientists report that smell may be enough to trigger cravings"

Yeah, I think I can relate to that. It would set me off.

(and congrats on getting to 5 years Leana !)
Old 11-19-2013, 01:11 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don't know of any studies either Zube.

Yeah it was never the alcohol content for me so much as the smell, the feel of the can, the (vaguely) similar taste of beer...

all very old and well learned behaviours - I'd soon miss the buzz tho and..blammo.

D
Old 11-19-2013, 01:32 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Congrats on 5 years Leana, thats an amazing accomplishment!!!
Old 11-19-2013, 02:28 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

NA beer is like teasing a pitbull behind a fence. Everything is fine until the beast gets out. I dont need a study to know NA beer is teasing my addiction
Old 11-19-2013, 04:55 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I don't know of any studies either Zube.

Yeah it was never the alcohol content for me so much as the smell, the feel of the can, the (vaguely) similar taste of beer...

all very old and well learned behaviours - I'd soon miss the buzz tho and..blammo.

D
Pretty much what I think of NA beers as well. They reinforce the mental behavior to imbibe real beer. I my experience they only served to torture my brain into continuing the cravings. It's not worth it, steer clear.
Old 11-19-2013, 05:28 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I was told by a counselor that "non-alcoholic beer is for non-alcoholics".

I don't know though - I did recently see a show where a notorious competitive eater (like those guys who eat all the hot dogs) drank 30 N/A beers for MythBusters or something, to see if he could get drunk. I believe it was testing the myth that N/A beers have a tiny bit of alcohol in them.

He threw up twice, then blew a 0.0.

Regardless, I'm not sure it would be a good step. I stay away from bars, clubs, etc...however, I'm having a friend from another country visit and she wants to go see a blues band here in Chicago, the kind you find in dusky taverns playing way past midnight to small crowds. I have to admit that I've considered perhaps, when that night comes, I would have an N/A beer. The fact that I'm thinking about it, a month beforehand, is probably all I need to know....can't be a top notch idea.
Old 11-19-2013, 05:44 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I prefer non alcoholic tequila personally. Seriously though, I had a NA beer after many years sober and less than a year later I was drinking the real thing. Anecdotal, I know, but that's my story.
Old 11-19-2013, 05:54 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I remember trying n/a beer for a few times when I was struggling on a daily basis to stay sober - quit, pick up, quick, pick up... I can tell you that for me, it was because I had an OBSESSION with alcohol - I LOVED it like a person loves another person - the idea that I couldn't drink like a normal person really depressed me and so I sought to mitigate that with n/a beer, but because I wasn't changing myself, I kept getting drunk because I knew how sad it was that I was drinking n/a beer and trying to make believe I was satisfying the addiction.

Now that I'm sober I think about beer the same way I would any other beverage that can kill me - it's not romantic at all. Every now and again I see a beer ad on TV and it wets the old whistle - that's a sign to me I need to hit a meeting! Yep, I'm still a drunk but no longer a mental slave to it - not today at least...
Old 11-19-2013, 08:17 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I dunno.

But that's a cute little pooch.

He/She just made me smile.

Lots like trouble..lol
Old 11-19-2013, 08:17 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

*looks*
Old 11-19-2013, 09:55 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Meh, in my opinion it depends on the person. I know of people that genuinely love the taste of beer. Great, have some NA as long as it doesn't trigger you in any way. What do I care?
Old 11-19-2013, 10:26 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Controversial, but I think NA beer stopped me from relapsing. I hammered it when I first quit to deal with the extremely strong compulsion to drink. After a while the compulsion subdued, and I stopped drinking it.