Notices

Dwelling on drinking

Old 11-21-2013, 12:13 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Going to meetings is a great idea, but as I just posted in another thread the fellowship doesn't keep a person sober, the program does. Have you done step work in the time you've been sober? I know that for myself remembering what it was like is a big part of my staying sober, but so is writing about what I'm feeling and sharing it with another alcoholic. Which you're doing right now. On top of that, I found a power greater then myself that I can turn to at any point. That power for me is spiritual, and it helps. When all else fails, as the book says, intensive work with another alcoholic is a surefire way to stay sober, atleast for the moment.

If you haven't been through the steps, I would recommend starting that journey with another person who has been through them. I honestly don't know if doing them over the internet with another individual (such as in a private chat on this board) would have the same impact that sitting down with someone would have, but if there is no one available in your area then there might be someone here that would be willing. I also know that AA has an internet community all on it's own, it even contributes to AA World. It might be worth checking that out.

No matter where you are physically, it's possible to work the program of AA and experience the fellowship of AA. This thread, and many others like it, are a prime example
Old 11-21-2013, 12:38 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I went to AA meetings for about four months when I first stopped drinking and I loved it.

I've been an atheist for the past 25 years and I found it very hard to imagine a power that could control my behavior. So, you can see I never did work any of the steps. Beyond the first one I wouldn't have a problem with doing them.
Old 11-21-2013, 12:53 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

Originally Posted by jade2112 View Post
I went to AA meetings for about four months when I first stopped drinking and I loved it.

I've been an atheist for the past 25 years and I found it very hard to imagine a power that could control my behavior. So, you can see I never did work any of the steps. Beyond the first one I wouldn't have a problem with doing them.
I always try to look at it this way. I can control my behaviour. I have power over that. It is the things around me that I can't control that I give up to something else. I don't even know if it is god or not. I just picked the word "something else".

I have also been sober 16 months and you know Jade, we did it! I never thought I would make it this far when I first started out. You have done good!
Old 11-21-2013, 01:13 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jade2112 View Post

I look at "turn my will and life over to the care of a power greater then myself" as synonymous with turning to something with more knowledge and power then myself for direction. By no means am I a passenger in my own body (sometimes I wish it worked like that lol) but rather the one in control who is getting guidance and support from something else. Similar to using a map when lost, or depending on electricity to cook my food. I can't make food hot by myself, or figure out where I am going when lost on a trip by myself. Similarly I cannot stay sober by myself. While I use God as a HP, there are many that use the fellowship as a whole (Group of Drunks) as a HP and it works for them. Individual people may fail us, but as a whole the fellowship of AA has never failed me, and it qualifies as a loving, caring entity with more power then I alone have.

Just my $.02