Notices

Raw feelings

Old 11-18-2013, 08:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

At 2 months sober, man my emotions are raw and powerful. Sometimes I just want to go deep into the woods and yell. May sound a bit crazy, but I think it would feel pretty good
Old 11-18-2013, 08:28 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I know that feeling Mirage, like learning to feel for the first time all over again... some things hurt like hell and others get out of control very quickly...BUT sober and screaming in the woods is better than drunk & asleep in the woods ;-) hugs xx
Old 11-18-2013, 08:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Feelings are hard. Since getting sober they have been one of my own greatest challenges. One thing I am learning is that they do pass with time and feelings that seemed so intense an hour ago have often faded to a dull memory in that time. However, why not go scream in the woods if it will make you feel better? It sounds like a much better release than having a drink to me.

Congratulations on 2 months sober. You can get thru this!
Old 11-18-2013, 08:53 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks. I think I'm going to. I wish I was on the mountains to go hiking. I know a local trail that's several miles long, I think I'm going to do that this afternoon. I think getting out in nature would be cathartic. I'll play the yelling by ear, ha
Old 11-18-2013, 12:49 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yes, one of the biggest realizations for me when getting sober were the feelings I now experience. They can be pretty intense, like right now, and can feel overwhelming at the time, but being sober 9 months I have slowly realized that I can get through these feelings just fine. Just takes some time sometimes, a walk, a run, or a friend's ear. We get through them, then the feelings subside and I'm good to go again. At least this is what I am telling myself today. ugh.
Old 11-18-2013, 01:29 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Just remember that feelings are not facts.

I was so angry I wanted to punch a wall when I was two months sober and was told to punch a mattress instead.
Old 11-18-2013, 05:24 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I find that I need to keep my brain busy when my feelings are too intense. I'm trying to find the balance between feeling the emotions but not getting lost in them. I'm a yeller...,usually in my car. Hope your walk in the woods yell makes you feel better!
Old 11-18-2013, 06:48 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I went for a jog/walk on the trail through the woods. No yelling though. Being outdoors helps. Not an overnight cure, but gotta be better for my mental state than drinking.
Old 11-18-2013, 06:53 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Good for you - personally I will take feeling emotions anyway over numbing them. I love running in the woods (can't right now due to a recent surgery) like Daniel Day Lewis in LAst of the Mohicans.
Old 11-18-2013, 07:08 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

At two months sober I went out in a rain storm on a deserted beach and walked up next to a rusted out metal hull of a shipwreck that's been stuck aground since 1942, took off my shirt and looked up at the sky, posed like He-Man and the Legend of GraySkull and yelled as loud as I could. Felt farking good, too!

Why not do it?