Notices

Taking Campral on Occasion

Old 11-18-2013, 12:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Taking Campral on Occasion

Hello, im an alcoholic and got prescribed Campral about 4 months ago...I took it for about a week then stopped because I couldnt afford it. I havent been taking it but do still have some left. I do not want to stop drinking at this point but would like to be able to control it a bit more (don't we all).

So my ONLY question is...when I do drink and I took a Campral or two would it help me to not drink so much?

Please no stupid answers like...well you should just stop drinking blah blah blah
I already no this, I don't need judgement here, just some knowledgeable answers

please &
Old 11-18-2013, 12:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I have no experience but a quick net search tells me campral is only effective after you have completely stopped drinking alcohol.

I'm no doctor tho - best to check with your prescribing physician.

We can't give you medical advice here anyway - it's against our rules.

If you do decide to quit, you'll find a ton of support here - I hope you consider it.

D
Old 11-18-2013, 05:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kcakes View Post
Hello, im an alcoholic and got prescribed Campral about 4 months ago...I took it for about a week then stopped because I couldnt afford it. I havent been taking it but do still have some left. I do not want to stop drinking at this point but would like to be able to control it a bit more (don't we all).

So my ONLY question is...when I do drink and I took a Campral or two would it help me to not drink so much?

Please no stupid answers like...well you should just stop drinking blah blah blah
I already no this, I don't need judgement here, just some knowledgeable answers

please &
What does it cost to drink alcohol ?, keep a record ,you will be shocked .
Old 11-18-2013, 06:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

As stated you need to talk to your doctor.

I used campral. You need to stop drinking first, then you can start to take campral. It supposedly works by stabilizing the glutamate system in your brain, and that reduces cravings.

But... You have to take it as prescribed. It has to be at therapeutic levels in your body and takes a while to get there.

So taking it here and there isn't going to help. You must take it as prescribed. It also doesn't help if you continue to drink while on it.

So yes, talk to your doctor and always take medication as prescribed