Notices

I feel like drinking

Old 11-16-2013, 05:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I feel like drinking

Well I do. I spent four hours in the ER today and was diagnosed with something called Bell's Palsy. That's a paralysis or weakness that affects one side of the face, caused by a virus infection. I am on enough pills to cure an elephant and have to have fillow up appointments with my doctor and physio. I am in pain when I chew and I cannot smile on the right side.

Most people make a complete recovery in 6 to 8 weeks. But a a tiny percent of people are permanently disfigured.

I am well aware that there are many many people out there who have things way worse than I do. I am feeling sorry for myself as I am on a huge dose of of medication and I am lying in bed wearing an eyepatch and I look like a pirate. I can't even read my books. Reading with one eye is no fun.

There is wine downstairs and I would love a glass to help me sleep but I will not as alcohol and pills do not mix. Instead I will rest, relax, eat good food and drink water, take my pills and be thankful that this isn't a lot worse. I will also pray that I can overcome this. I like my smile.
Old 11-16-2013, 05:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Don't drink. I drank last night and I really, really regret it. Wish I just stayed sober.
Old 11-16-2013, 05:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

My sweet husband had it. It lasted for about 4 weeks. You're going to be just fine.

Now, if you are "on enough meds to cure an elephant" how do your think the booze is going to affect you ?

I drank once. On levaquin. I almost died. Hallucinations. Scariest sh1t Ever.

Don't do it. Rest and heal.
Old 11-16-2013, 05:21 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks alphaomega for the comforting words x
Old 11-16-2013, 05:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I know you're going to be just fine Tetra - sorry today sucks a bit but the meds will start working soon

D
Old 11-16-2013, 05:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
AA member

Sorry you are poorly Tetra,it is late,I hope you get some sleep tonight and that your medication starts working shortly.Thinking of you.
Old 11-16-2013, 06:06 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I can relate. It is so frustrating, I try to not get attached to those thoughts. Meditation has been helping me with that. I've been been keeping a journal and working out. And yet there are those times when the thoughts about drinking start. I truly believe that it takes the same amount of energy to drink as it takes to not drink. I hope this makes sense.
Old 11-16-2013, 07:34 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

You will get through this and recover. Ask yourself, "how would drinking make this better? How does drinking ever make anything better?" That's what I do when I really, really want to drink. Thinking the drink through, thinking about how you'll feel tomorrow. Not good, right?

Sorry you're not feeling well. Sending much love and healing thoughts your way.
Old 11-17-2013, 12:09 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by alphaomega View Post
My sweet husband had it. It lasted for about 4 weeks. You're going to be just fine.

Now, if you are "on enough meds to cure an elephant" how do your think the booze is going to affect you ?

I drank once. On levaquin. I almost died. Hallucinations. Scariest sh1t Ever.

Don't do it. Rest and heal.
Being a nosy git, i had to check this out... "Levaquin is also used to treat bacterial infections that cause bronchitis or pneumonia, and to treat people who have been exposed to anthrax or plague."

Yikes! Hope it was nothing as serious as that!

Tetra, hope you feel better soon, i believe it is a temporary condition for most people, and well done on not drinking.
Old 11-17-2013, 12:49 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hang in there Tetra, hope it clears up quickly and the alcohol doesnt get a chance back into your life.
Old 11-17-2013, 01:34 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Tetra,
I had an acoustic neuroma removed in 2007 by surgery which left me with permanent nerve damage to the right side of my face ruining an award winning smile into something that looks like a Pirate's leer so I can empathize.
Its a pain because you will have trouble blinking and you get a reminder everytime you look in the mirror.
The last time I was drunk I looked at myself in the mirror and it was not a pretty sight. I can live with permanent facial palsy but I won't live with that person staring back at me again. Believe me, it ain't worth it. You'll get your smile back soon if you don't pick up, alcohol may remove it forever.
Old 11-18-2013, 04:39 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I was feeling okay yesterday, but I feel like **** today.

My sister is a doctor and she said it would be about two weeks before I start to see any improvements.

Am going to wrap up well and go for a long walk.

Hope you all have a nice day.
Love and hugs,
Tetra x
Old 11-18-2013, 09:08 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
AA member

When you are ill some days are worse than others Tetra.

I hope you feel better after your walk.
Old 11-18-2013, 09:09 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

hope your walk helped tetra & in a few weeks you feel some improvements xx take care
Old 11-18-2013, 09:22 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Don't be scared of it my friend had this and he was back to normal in just a couple weeks
Old 11-19-2013, 10:26 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Being stricken with sudden facial paralysis can take its toll. Smiling is impossible and things we take for granted like talking and eating become challenging at the very least. I am trying to take heart in the fact that it is a temporary condition. Things will return to normal in time. Others are not so lucky.
Old 11-19-2013, 10:29 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Good Luck Tetra, it can be hard! I'm sorry you're going through this!!! Strength is our only option. Drinking is NOT a viable option. I try to remember this in my weaker moments. Best of luck, you can do it.