Notices

whats the deal with vodka?

Old 11-13-2013, 10:24 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by freshstart57 View Post
I can smell that stuff from a 20 ft away now easily. I drank it because it was cheap and has less of the stuff in it that gives you hangovers.

Cogeners is the word. Congeners in Alcoholic Beverages
Old 11-13-2013, 10:35 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Matt M

Originally Posted by gaffo View Post
I was never a big fan but I remember reasons for choosing vodka were:
1.)No one can smell it on your breath.
2.)It won't give you a hangover.

Neither of those things are true at all. Certainly not for the majority anyway. The only reason I sometimes didn't feel rough after drinking a lot of vodka is because i'd just carry on drinking.

If vodka is put in the freezer and it's drank ice cold, it more or less tastes like ice cold water and goes down very easily.
Although I used to drink it warm if it was there.
Old 11-13-2013, 11:24 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
lillyknitting

Originally Posted by jvice09 View Post
just curious, i know there are a TON of people that switch over to vodka when then become addicted to alcohol. im just wondering what makes vodka so special? as opposed to other drinks. they say its odorless and tasteless but thats not true, ive been called out a few times, but i get away with it most of the time. im just kind of fascinated with my own problem.
It hits the spot instantly. Until, that is, you can end up drinking a bottle of it like I could. All this stuff gets us in the end.
Old 11-14-2013, 12:22 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
CastAwayWolf

Every time I relapse, I start out drinking bourbon...usually Jack.

Then I try to cut back and go to 8+% tall boy beers....

Then I say F it and start drinking vodka...

Funny (& sad) how I have that same pattern every time. I've never noticed any difference in hangover effects but always end up buying vodka because it's cheap. Then after I get sober I can still taste/smell the nasty stuff for days. Ack!
Old 11-14-2013, 12:29 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
CastAwayWolf

Originally Posted by MattM316 View Post
If vodka is put in the freezer and it's drank ice cold, it more or less tastes like ice cold water and goes down very easily.
Although I used to drink it warm if it was there.
I know what you mean...I used to pour it in a chilled metal Thermos with crushed ice then shake it up and it had no taste at all.

Then that got to be too much work so I'd drink it warm then chase each drink with whatever kind of soda I had on hand.

The other alcoholicly positive thing about vodka is it usually come in plastic bottles so dropping it while you're wasted doesn't result in waste via broken glass! That was always a big buzz killer!
Old 11-14-2013, 02:02 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

just curious, i know there are a TON of people that switch over to vodka when then become addicted to alcohol. im just wondering what makes vodka so special? as opposed to other drinks. they say its odorless and tasteless but thats not true, ive been called out a few times, but i get away with it most of the time. im just kind of fascinated with my own problem.
It's cheap
Old 11-14-2013, 05:47 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I think the fact that it can be cheaper, it smells less though not odorless, it mixes well with just about any drink you normally drink, and for me unless I really put on a binge the hangovers were a tad easier. What I have realized since regaining sobriety is that once you marinate your entire being with vodka its not your breath or cup that smells so bad its actually you. In the first few days I smelled a tshirt I slept in and sweated through and thought holy crap. Being practically ocd over hygiene in general, I was disgusted and that realization sticks with me when I romance the idea of taking a drink.
Old 11-14-2013, 06:54 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I think Vodka is the cheapest you can buy in the states per proof except for everclear. You would have to mix everclear with something but i have seen a couple guys drink it straight! There are some vodkas that are like 3 dollars a pint. I never drank it. Id rather pay a little extra for cheap beer. I hated cheap vodka. Its like rubbing alcohol
Old 11-14-2013, 07:09 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

I ended up drinking mostly vodka for 3 reasons;

1. It offered the biggest bang for the buck. I could get a buzz from just $5 of cheap vodka where it took at least $10 of anything else.

2. It had relatively mild hangovers compared to most other liquors. However, when drank in excess, it also produced the worst DT's.

3. In my final days of drinking, it was the only booze my stomach would keep down. Or at least triggered the least amount of puking.
Old 11-14-2013, 07:16 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

im doing good dee, i know your a mod here. yes vodka can be cheap, but people have the option to buy other spirits of their choice. vodka is just peculiar to me
Old 11-14-2013, 07:23 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I was a mailman in my drinking days and I always brought my bottle of 'water' along with me.
Old 11-14-2013, 08:01 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Since it is all the things postparty82 said, you then become a full blown addict b/c you are drinking all the time b/c its cheap and easy.
Old 11-14-2013, 08:02 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Ha. Thought I was the only alcoholic who's drink of choice is vodka
Old 11-14-2013, 10:08 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by postparty82 View Post
1. Cheapest way to get drunk per fl. oz. (sad that I know)
2. Easiest to hide on your breath
3. Easiest to hide inside a water bottle, pop bottle, etc.
4. Can be mixed with anything.
5. (to me) least hangover
6. They sell it in the huge plastic jug that will last all weekend.
@ All, especially #6!
Old 11-14-2013, 10:30 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Serenity Now!!!

Originally Posted by chicamilo View Post
Ha. Thought I was the only alcoholic who's drink of choice is vodka
Uh no. It was my drink of choice as well. Not odorless, but smell less than bourbon which was actually my favorite. Also it's cheap and powerful. Some of the stuff sold as vodka isn't fit to clean paint brushes with though. So glad I'm off it now.
Old 11-14-2013, 10:56 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

Reading all these, I feel so lucky that I abhored vodka. It made me absolutely sick.

And it's a total fallacy that you can't smell it. DH had a single Belvedere martini last week and I thought I was going to hork from the stench.

Now gin ? That is another story all together....
Old 11-14-2013, 11:41 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bostonsportsfan View Post
It's cheap and doesn't have a distinct taste like rum, gin, bourbon, etc. It's what made me an alcoholic. Vodka is bad news.
That gave me a chuckle as I'd been led to believe drinking any alcoholic beverage created my alcoholism.

Years ago by government regulation required vodka had to be colorless and odorless.

I believe that all Scotch, bourbon, Rye and so on start off as mostly straight alcohol (vodka) after distilling and then is stored in barrels for ageing where it gets it's flavors and color.

BE WELL
Old 11-14-2013, 11:48 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

cheap, easy to hide the evidence (there's a firm in the UK that sells it in roll flat plastic sacks) it works fast, easy to hide in other drinks (drinking brown whisky / orange juice raises eyebrows) doesn't hurt so bad in the morning.
Old 11-14-2013, 03:18 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Vodka ,gave me some wicked hangovers , but I likened that to the amount I consumed .

I actually did not like vodka ,then ,sure don't now .

I think id puke if I had to take a shot of Vodka , It tasted terrible to me then .
I drank for the buzz .
Old 11-14-2013, 06:43 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Probably the cheapest (as many have already mentioned), and its the most versatile liquor for mixing.