Chasing something thats gone...

Old 12-13-2013, 07:01 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

I wish you luck and hope you can overcome this xxxx
Old 12-13-2013, 03:13 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jaynie04 View Post
For the most part I have always been happy where I was, in life, location, etc... I'm 48 now and I feel like I am just getting started.
For the most vast majority of my life i can't recall happiness being anything more than a passing feeling. Certain situations were of a time and a place, never to occur again. Unable to happen again no matter what. Bitterness is increasingly common the more i think of the past.

I'm in my 40s also.
Old 12-13-2013, 03:19 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Administrator

I felt that way too while I was drinking and for several months afterwards, Carbonized.
The roots of an alcohol fuelled world view are deep.

I have cerebral palsy.

Some may look at me and my life and see only hardship and struggle - in fact I know some do - but in recovery I rediscovered joy, and gratitude, and all the blessings of my life.

I'm a former cynic, born again optimist

D
Old 12-13-2013, 03:23 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

You will get tired of your own bull eventually. We've all been there, the rationalization of the Alcoholic mind. All the great and seemingly valid reasons your conscience gives you to keep imbibing while it slowly poisons you to death. It is all just a different frame of mind that will set you free. A firm decision made with you and your conscience to once and for all change your lifestyle to no longer include drinking alcohol.

Once you make that decision and turn the corner, then the mind tricks will start. This is when you really need to just hold firm and get a few months in and then the fog will start to lift. Hang around these boards and read, in time you will be ready.
Old 01-17-2014, 08:08 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the response. I'm fed up once again. Was doing great for a couple months then December hit. Feel like I've drank daily for a month now. So now I'm done. Once again. Until the mind tricks come into play...
Old 01-17-2014, 08:30 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by freshstart57 View Post
That sounds like grieving, to me, Arbor8, and that feeling is understandable. I made that feeling of loss go away by looking at this adventure as a beginning, rather than an ending. While I was drinking, my world was shrinking and getting smaller with every bottle of vodka. I abandoned hobbies, interests, pastimes, diversions, projects, they all were set aside so I could drink. I became a prisoner, locked in my schedule for more alcohol.

Sober, I turned my focus forward, and started to return to those interests. New opportunities began to present themselves, and they continue to show up. New friends, new responsibilities, new successes (and failures, too), all make my life so much more satisfying than getting drunk ever was.

You can do this too, Arbor8. Leave those days behind you, with the embarrassment, the shame, anxiety, depression, hangovers and soul sickness. Look forward now, you are free.
Thanks for that really great post Freshstart,i was feeling pretty low today but that was much needed morale boost.
Old 01-17-2014, 08:49 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I think it's impossible for most of us to grasp Arbor, and when we do, it seems we naturally think about the hard work, the self denial and the change required for recovery.

But really - is drinking that awesome?

We can never go back to that first experience - our bodies have changed, our brains have changed and the times have changed.

Early recovery is rough - thats why so many fall off - but the successful recoverers know it gets better. We have to have faith in that.

I promise you that noone would stay in recovery if they felt they were losing out on the deal.

you won't lose out either
D
HELL NO , it's not awesome it SUCKS . I will admit I long for the drinking for a minute - then it's , screw that , depression related foolishness .

I don't know if my theory of boxing with it works or not
I'm about ready to admit. , it will beat me if I get in the ring with it .

I'll stay out of the ring