SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Alcoholism (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/)
-   -   Drunk Pill (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/313400-drunk-pill.html)

KateL 11-13-2013 02:48 AM

Drunk Pill

On English TV yesterday, there was a discussion by a professor, who had discovered a pill that makes you feel intoxicated but with no hangover the next day. I imagine it might be safer for young people who all seem to drink far too much nowadays. But it does strike me as rather odd in itself. I wouldn't use it because I am happy being sober and I think it could lead to problem drinkers, switching to the real thing after a taster of this. What are people's thoughts on this?

MrTumble 11-13-2013 03:23 AM

Do you have a link to the interview?

BackToSquareOne 11-13-2013 03:54 AM

Take your pick : https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...k+pill&qscrl=1

MrTumble 11-13-2013 10:30 AM

Some interesting comments on the telegraph site
Get drunk without the hangover on Professor Nutt’s pill - Telegraph

looks like the OP was referring to an interview on the BBC Today progamme.

MattM316 11-13-2013 10:40 AM

I remember Derren Brown hypnotizing people into feeling drunk and acting drunk, that was pretty amazing.

Jfanagle 11-13-2013 11:13 AM

I would take it, except if one made me feel good, I would most likely want two!

Olive1 11-13-2013 11:27 AM

Seems to me that folks that are not alcoholic can have a drink and feel intoxicated and not have a hangover.
I would imagine that those with addiction issues would find a way to abuse it.
:)

DoubleBarrel 11-13-2013 11:42 AM

My need to escape myself and not deal with life on life's terms is what lead me here.

Doesn't matter if its booze weed or pills, its not the substance, the problem is me.

I would stay way the HELL away from that stuff.

GracieLou 11-13-2013 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by Jfanagle (Post 4290415)

Here, here!

If I drank a 1/2 gallon of whiskey in two days, I would eat half a bottle of pills in two days. No doubt in my mind. I would crave more and more.

Carlotta 11-13-2013 01:19 PM

Same here, if one makes me feel good then two would have to make me feel super....
I think I will stick on the side of sobriety, much safer for an alcoholic like me.

Michelangelo 11-13-2013 02:28 PM

I dont like getting drunk anymore, not even with pills. This pill manipulates your brain chemistry. Not good. I dont think it will be approved.

Sudz No More 11-13-2013 02:33 PM

Anything that alters your brain chemistry can't be good for you unless of course it is used to fix a natural imbalance. I'll steer clear as I am sure I would just look to abuse it.

Thepatman 11-13-2013 02:43 PM

I agree with all posts. When I was born, young, I did not need chemicals to be happy. I watched Astro, had some nutella toasts and was perfectly happy! My buzz was to play outside in the snow. I remember it created a similar buzz then booze, without the hangover and cost.

MrTumble 11-13-2013 09:56 PM

I think a drunk drug has the potential to be useful if, it's less physically harmful than alcohol, its not addictive and if the effects can be switched off.

It wont suit everyone, for instance those committed to sobriety, but that isnt everyone, so may be useful to others with differing needs.

MrGhost 11-14-2013 02:38 AM

Originally Posted by KateL (Post 4289821)
On English TV yesterday, there was a discussion by a professor, who had discovered a pill that makes you feel intoxicated but with no hangover the next day. I imagine it might be safer for young people who all seem to drink far too much nowadays. But it does strike me as rather odd in itself. I wouldn't use it because I am happy being sober and I think it could lead to problem drinkers, switching to the real thing after a taster of this. What are people's thoughts on this?

I attend DUI school and saw a video on that there, and not sure if it's the same pill your talking about because this other one had actual alcohol in it. But if that's the case, I don't see the difference from drinking, to swallow it in a pill form. Sorry, if this post sounds illiterate, I'm no chemist or anything.

karate 11-14-2013 03:23 PM

They have plenty of pills that , have the same effect .

When I was doing my self detox ,a zanax would make me want a beer so damn bad I could hardly stand it .

KateL 11-14-2013 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by Jfanagle (Post 4290415)

:lmao

KateL 11-14-2013 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by MrGhost (Post 4291484)
I attend DUI school and saw a video on that there, and not sure if it's the same pill your talking about because this other one had actual alcohol in it. But if that's the case, I don't see the difference from drinking, to swallow it in a pill form. Sorry, if this post sounds illiterate, I'm no chemist or anything.

Not at all, made sense to me. No this one just mimics alcohol effects seemingly. I just found it interesting if not a bit odd.

KateL 11-14-2013 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by Thepatman (Post 4290689)
I agree with all posts. When I was born, young, I did not need chemicals to be happy. I watched Astro, had some nutella toasts and was perfectly happy! My buzz was to play outside in the snow. I remember it created a similar buzz then booze, without the hangover and cost.

I get a buzz from karaoke and writing. I remember dragging myself on the stage for the first time to actually sing sober. You can't get me off the thing now :)

KateL 11-14-2013 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by MrTumble (Post 4290375)
Some interesting comments on the telegraph site
Get drunk without the hangover on Professor Nutt’s pill - Telegraph

looks like the OP was referring to an interview on the BBC Today progamme.

Yes, sorry, I made a post and then suddenly had to go out.