that people in general either sober or normies
are all hopefully in a state of growth
and may show some of the rather disturbing signs below
but
referring to one who is in recovery as a "dry drunk"
just because they fit into one of these categories listed
seems to me to be rather far fetched

below - just a small piece found on the internet concerning the "dry drunk"

These conditions, grandiosity, judgmentalism, intolerance ,impulsivity, and indecisiveness taken separately or together can lead to the following: a) Mood swings, which are unrelated to the circumstances to which one tries to link them. Alcoholics zero in on what they want others to think is the cause of the mood swing, when it isn't that at all. More often than not it is something much deeper than the reason given. Inversely it can also be something totally insignificant with no substance at all (e.g. the sugar is too sweet or the donut is too round). Any excuse will do. b) Unable to demonstrate emotions freely, naturally and without constraint. No emotional spontaneity, no genuine spark. c) Introspection. A very healthy thing to do is difficult if not impossible for the "dry drunk". It means to look inward to one's examining each thought and desire, which is linked directly to one's attitude. d) Detachment. Become aloof, display indifference, don't care one way or the other, no special likes or dislikes, they withdraw. e) Self-absorption- with a tendency to call attention to whatever they have attained. Narcissism which is quite simply self-love. They become pompous asses. f) The inability to appreciate or enjoy themselves - nothing satisfies. g) Evidence of disorganization, is easily distracted, complains of boredom, and nothing seems to fit. h) A nostalgia sets in, a kind of wistful yearning for something of the past, such as freedom from care associated (falsely) with drinking, bars, drinking associates, and friends; the music, blue lights, and tinkle of the ice cubes in a glass in the neighborhood saloon. i) There can be a kind of romanticism, which includes unrealistic valuations of lifestyles and character traits which can be and usually are objectively dangerous to one's sobriety. j) Escapism. Fantasizing, daydreaming, and wishful thinking are very much in evidence in the dry drunk syndrome as the individual slips farther and farther from reality.
Old 11-10-2013, 02:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

Originally Posted by Mountainmanbob View Post

below - just a small piece found on the internet concerning the "dry drunk"

These conditions, grandiosity, judgmentalism, intolerance ,impulsivity, and indecisiveness taken separately or together can lead to the following: a) Mood swings, which are unrelated to the circumstances to which one tries to link them. Alcoholics zero in on what they want others to think is the cause of the mood swing, when it isn't that at all. More often than not it is something much deeper than the reason given. Inversely it can also be something totally insignificant with no substance at all (e.g. the sugar is too sweet or the donut is too round). Any excuse will do. b) Unable to demonstrate emotions freely, naturally and without constraint. No emotional spontaneity, no genuine spark. c) Introspection. A very healthy thing to do is difficult if not impossible for the "dry drunk". It means to look inward to one's examining each thought and desire, which is linked directly to one's attitude. d) Detachment. Become aloof, display indifference, don't care one way or the other, no special likes or dislikes, they withdraw. e) Self-absorption- with a tendency to call attention to whatever they have attained. Narcissism which is quite simply self-love. They become pompous asses. f) The inability to appreciate or enjoy themselves - nothing satisfies. g) Evidence of disorganization, is easily distracted, complains of boredom, and nothing seems to fit. h) A nostalgia sets in, a kind of wistful yearning for something of the past, such as freedom from care associated (falsely) with drinking, bars, drinking associates, and friends; the music, blue lights, and tinkle of the ice cubes in a glass in the neighborhood saloon. i) There can be a kind of romanticism, which includes unrealistic valuations of lifestyles and character traits which can be and usually are objectively dangerous to one's sobriety. j) Escapism. Fantasizing, daydreaming, and wishful thinking are very much in evidence in the dry drunk syndrome as the individual slips farther and farther from reality.
WOW about 90% of that applied to me when I was still drinking. Some of it persisted for awhile. Maybe it means someone who is not healing. I would think a certain percentage of people would suffer with those symptoms even if alcohol didn't exist.
Old 11-10-2013, 02:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It's a term used by people in the AA program to describe conduct they see as unbecoming of a spiritual person.
Old 11-10-2013, 03:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

I've thought a whoooolle lot of wonderful things about myself that I didn't commit actions to back up - like "I'm an honest person" when I was anything but. I wanted the reputation for being honest without actually BEING honest.

I've thought I'm a better thinker and a better person drunk.

I've been convinced I was a great guy and didn't hurt anyone but myself all the while I was doing massive emotional damage to the people in my life.

I've also thought I was a miserable piece of XXXX when I was still a child of God (yet another belief I currently have that may prove to be wrong some day....) that wasn't capable of living up to unrealistic expectations.

My experience is that I'm rarely what I think I am.
Old 11-10-2013, 03:04 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I have removed some posts under rule 4.

Please lets keep things civil. Insults & aggressively pejorative terms, which everyone then subsequently quotes, help nobody.

4. No Flaming: Posting of any content with the intention of disrupting the forum or inflaming members-be it on someone's person, religious beliefs, race, national background, sexual orientation, or recovery program. This includes flaming, flame baiting, registration of multiple accounts or impersonation of another member. Do not Harass, threaten, embarrass or cause distress or discomfort upon another Online Forum participant. This includes flaming on our forums or other public forums.

No posts that attack, insult, "flame", defame, or abuse members or non-members. Respect other members of the community and don’t belittle, make fun of, or insult another member or non-member. Decisions about health and recovery are highly personal, individual choices. "Flaming" and insults, however, will not be tolerated. Agree to disagree. This applies to both the forums and chat.

Ignore bothersome members. If there is someone on the forum that bothers you, select the Ignore option on the drop down menu under their name on the post. You won't see any posts from this member again.
D
Old 11-10-2013, 03:06 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Johnston View Post
It's a term used by people in the AA program to describe conduct they see as unbecoming of a spiritual person.
its not limited to AA and its not all people in AA that use it.

if I believe in the term and you have a problem with it, its your problem. my believeing it has absolutely nothing to do with AA.
Old 11-10-2013, 03:37 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
its not limited to AA and its not all people in AA that use it.

if I believe in the term and you have a problem with it, its your problem. my believeing it has absolutely nothing to do with AA.
Can you provide examples outside of AA where the term is used? I was always under the impression it originated either there or in Al Anon.
Old 11-10-2013, 04:28 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

A non drinking person that hasnt addressed the personality traits that drove them to drink in the first place, and still harboring resentment over the inability to drink in moderation.
Old 11-10-2013, 04:29 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

A derogatory term thrown around to people that are no longer drinking but perceived to be still unhappy because of alcohol.

I hate the term and find it offers no benefits whatsoever.
Old 11-10-2013, 04:31 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Bold text''Dry Drunk' is slang originated in AA and used often by members of AA to denigrate those people who reject or otherwise backslide in following the tenets of AA as a means to quit drinking. It has been adopted by some that are not members in the AA movement and has the same general definition. It is believed in the AA group that a person who quits drinking without embracing the tenets of AA as the means to quit drinking will experience many unsavory feelings and exhibit unsavory behaviors. These unsavory feelings may include despair, anger, rage, depression, and anxiety and are expressed in behavior stemming from those types of feelings.207.175.209.1 00:43, 14 November 2005 (UTC) Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talkry_drunk"

"There is actually a condition.." is poor writing and smells like weasel. Who recognizes the condition? What are the symptoms? The article itself starts out by saying it's a slang term. Perhaps there should be some mention of skepticism towards the term outside AA/addiction recovery circles? ie, if someone gets clean without AA they're just "dry drunk" and not really recovered, and similarly for those who go through AA but don't recover.

Really the article seems intended to buttress criticism of Bush. Nice link.
I agree the article needs work. However it seems definite that the so called dry drunk condition is something some people within the AA at least have 'recognised' for a while, long before Bush came into the picture. I came across this usenet article from 1996 which shows as much http://groups.google.co.nz/group/alt...0c8aa80121ef6a (look at the last msg by gimpguy especially). Therefore, I think another thing the article needs in addition to what has been mentioned by the other person (although I think the scepticism part needs refinement, I suspect not everyone outside the AA recovery circle are sceptical of the term), is some analysis of the history to show the 'condition' was not something invented to describe Bush. Obviously the usenet article is okay but we need something more substanial and from a better source. P.S. Interestingly, usenet also shows mention of Bush as a dry drunk preceeded the 2000 election and of course then the events following September 11th etc...60.234.141.76 13:44, 6 October 2005 (UTC)
What's wrong with the article that would make it questionable regarding its neutrality? The only problem I can see is that it's short. Adding more information, along with the requisite "criticism" section, should do the trick nicely. Unfortunately, I'm not the one to do that, since I just heard of the term "dry drunk" a few minutes ago, but the users on Wikipedia seem to be very good at finding and presenting useful information. Somebody expand this article and get rid of the silly "NPOV disputed" sign! Harkenbane 17:38, 23 October 2005 (UTC)

It's clear that "dry drunk syndrome" and "dry drunks" precede any contemporary political controversy. The concept is longstanding part of the culture and body of knowledge of AA and other addiction recovery circles. Article needs expansion, signaling as a stub. Don't see anything controversial in this subject- (unless one is a "dry drunk" in denial.) Removing "NPOV disputed" sign. Intersofia 15:26, 24 October 2005 (UTC)

talkDry drunk - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 11-10-2013, 05:57 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I agree with what was stated in an earlier post here

if my sober neighbor goes out and kicks his dog

he is probably not a dry drunk (what ever that truly means)

he is just a common old mean wing ding (mean fool)

MM
Old 11-10-2013, 06:08 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

To begin with it's a rude term but it you think about it logically it's accurate.

When you're not drinking you could also call that being "dry".

The insinuation being that even though you are no longer using alcohol you are still exhibiting the behavior of someone who drinks. This would include, but not be limited to, being resentful, obnoxious, and blaming others for all of your problems.

You may have quit the alcohol but you're still acting the same. You aren't recovering.

......and I've been there before.
Old 11-10-2013, 06:11 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

hows that for another list

yet another meaning for dry drunk
not a bad one
just another one

it seems that the term "dry drunk" can mean a million things ?

in the eye of the beholder I guess

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

from the
Home Reverse Dictionary

Words and phrases matching your pattern:
(We're restricting the list to terms we think are related to dry drunk, and sorting by relevance.)

Filter by part of speech (NEW!): All, nouns, adjectives, verbs, adverbs

1. sherry
2. beaujolais
3. souse
4. drain
5. straw
6. droughty
7. vermouth
8. wet
9. weather
10. draught
11. alcohol
12. pickle
13. tea
14. toast
15. wind
16. pint
17. plaster
18. air
19. tight
20. blind
21. wash
22. soak
23. thirsty
24. sober
25. high
26. nut
27. liquor
28. stiff
29. draft
30. fire
31. carbon dioxide
32. claret
33. influence
34. soused
35. full
36. hold
37. cup
38. oil
39. potable
40. drought
41. cut
42. kir
43. pass
44. pickled
45. capacity
46. tipsy
47. squiffy
48. sloshed
49. intoxicate
50. loaded
51. pixilated
52. crocked
53. maudlin
54. pissed
55. plastered
56. sorbile
57. sozzled
58. boozer
59. lush
60. alcoholic
61. dipsomaniac
62. intoxication
63. smashed
64. cockeyed
65. tiddly
66. soaker
67. toddy
68. inebriate
69. besotted
70. liqueur
71. blotto
72. teacup
73. coffee cup
74. drunk-and-disorderly
75. ebriose
76. far
77. fuddled
78. half seas over
79. merry
80. paralytic
81. pie-eyed
82. potty
83. slewed
84. slopped
85. soaked
86. stoned
87. tiddley
88. carouse
89. fuddle
90. befuddle
91. slug
92. bacchic
93. hit it up
94. fap
95. potulent
96. ripe
97. tie
98. woozy
99. blind drunk
100. canned
Old 11-10-2013, 06:20 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LadyBlue0527 View Post
To begin with it's a rude term but it you think about it logically it's accurate.

When you're not drinking you could also call that being "dry".

The insinuation being that even though you are no longer using alcohol you are still exhibiting the behavior of someone who drinks. This would include, but not be limited to, being resentful, obnoxious, and blaming others for all of your problems.

You may have quit the alcohol but you're still acting the same. You aren't recovering.

......and I've been there before.
The recovering part ends for many people with abstinence itself. I understand AA's focus on moral rehabilitation, and I find it laudable. However not everyone is in need/desire of moral healing through the confession of harms done, making amends for such harms, and ongoing introspection.

The term "dry drunk" brings with it an air of superiority and condensation that many people do find offensive. If someone wants to call themselves a dry drunk, fine. But others should be granted the dignity to be who they are and find their own way. Live and let live....
Old 11-10-2013, 06:35 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

The recovering part ends for many people with abstinence itself. I understand AA's focus on moral rehabilitation, and I find it laudable. However not everyone is in need/desire of moral healing through the confession of harms done, making amends for such harms, and ongoing introspection.

The term "dry drunk" brings with it an air of superiority and condensation that many people do find offensive. If someone wants to call themselves a dry drunk, fine but others should be granted the dignity to be who they are and find their own way. Live and let live....
I didn't state this in my OP but my reference to it was only my opinion and had nothing to do with AA. It's my opinion that anyone who had to quit because it either created issues in their life or put them at deaths door can benefit from many programs of recovery. Coming to this board is a recovery tool.

Some people who just occasionally drank too much and just decided to stop would be exempt from this next statement.

Most of us acquired some pretty intense and not so nice characteristics to safeguard and justify our addiction. We spent quite a bit of time getting ourselves to where we were. The center of our life and universe was alcohol. No way you're going to walk away from that and life's just going to be puppies and kittens.

If anyone did that and can honestly (key word there) say that they're content and happy then I applaud them.
Old 11-10-2013, 06:51 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Can you provide examples outside of AA where the term is used? I was always under the impression it originated either there or in Al Anon.
the preacher at my church uses it and has never had a drinking problem.
an old boss who stopped drinking on his own and admits he was a dry drunk for years after he stopped.
there are may articles writtin by substance abuse/addiction/alcoholism counselors that use the term, counselors that have no affiliation with AA or al anon.
Old 11-10-2013, 06:58 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

For me a dry drunk is an alcoholic who has stopped drinking (which many of us have done numerous times) but has not done anything to fill the spiritual hole that alcohol used to fill and in fact acts out all the negative character traits that a wet alcoholic exhibits.
Old 11-10-2013, 07:04 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

I've been a dry drunk........ no question in my mind that it exists, at least for me. I'll let someone else determine if it applies to them or not. Sometimes I make that my business - but it's not, and I usually pay a price for doing so.

For me, it's when I'm doing and acting just like I did in my addiction only now I'm doing it without drinking. That said, recovery for me is the absence of that behavior, not just the drinking.
Old 11-10-2013, 07:09 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

I am not a fan of the term. It does not seem right to use any derogatory term to describe someone suffering from an illness or malady. I have recently become inlcined to the view that such an individual could be suffering from untreated alcoholism.
Old 11-10-2013, 09:06 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I don't like the term, mainly because it panders to the idea that excessive drinking can't be "cured".

My interpretation is that for someone who spent many hours of their life drinking, they've developed routines to fill the 24 hours that make up a day. When they stop, all their "drunk time" is suddenly free, and they sit around wondering what to do - which for me was a recipe to start drinking. Once the not-drinking-routine becomes the norm, the "dry drunk" is just a normal person again.