Notices

How do you define powerlessness?

Old 11-17-2013, 12:11 PM
  # 101 (permalink)  
quat

Originally Posted by Boleo View Post
I Can not drink nor can I not-drink. I am for all practical purposes caught in a double-bind.

To claim I still have some power over my drinking makes no sense in my world. To claim I lost all power over my drinking makes no sense in other people's world. What I now have is a "Spiritual Solution", it does not need to make sense to get results. Spiritual answers are beyond all logic and reason.

I don't accept the dichotomy. Reason is the faculty by which we gain knowledge. And I like "Logic , the art of noncontradictory identification "
Old 11-17-2013, 12:22 PM
  # 102 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dwtbd View Post
I don't accept the dichotomy. Reason is the faculty by which we gain knowledge. And I like "Logic , the art of noncontradictory identification "
I agree that reason is important but it has its limits and when we stretch those limits we get into trouble.
Old 11-17-2013, 12:35 PM
  # 103 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by dwtbd View Post
I don't accept the dichotomy. Reason is the faculty by which we gain knowledge.
EXPERIENCE is the facility by which we gain Spiritual knowledge. Exceptions to "Reason" include the following;

Quantum Physics
Existentialism
Epistemology
Gnoseology
Taoist philosophy
Zen
12 Step recovery

Old 11-17-2013, 12:44 PM
  # 104 (permalink)  

Reason is important but it is in the mind and that is only abstractions. We do not live there, we should not at least.
Old 11-17-2013, 03:34 PM
  # 105 (permalink)  

The mind only has the the sum total of it's knowledge base to draw information from. If the mind never had a deep insight or spiritual experience how can it be expected to understand it. The mind can't apply logic to things nobody could possibly understand.
Old 11-17-2013, 03:40 PM
  # 106 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Originally Posted by Joe Nerv View Post
And what do you believe you are powerless over, if anything?

I purposely put this in the alcoholism section and not the 12 step section because I'm curious what everyone thinks.

AA sometimes gets a bad rap because of the ideas wrapped around the concept of powerlessness. I think those ideas are often misunderstood.

The way I see it, saying I'm powerless over alcohol means that the addiction (obsession, illness, disease, compulsion, desire, or whatever anyone wants to label it) that kicks in if I pick up a first drink is going to win. I have 'less' power than it does. Alcohol, if I drink it, becomes more powerful than my wish to control it. Is that different than what someone who uses AVRT or any other way of staying sober believes? Or are we all really on the same page, only using different words and definitions?

I have a lot of thoughts on this (and other things in my life I believe I'm powerless over) but just want to get the conversation rolling.

I'm not looking to start a heated debate, really looking to find common ground here. I believe we all have a common goal. To stay away from alcohol, and help others to do the same. Looking for little pieces that might help to keep us all on the same page, rather than seperate us. Hope we can keep this pleasant.
I was powerless to begin with because I'd sunk so low. But after a while I empowered myself again and now am completely in charge.