Notices

Tapering...

Old 11-08-2013, 12:08 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MattM316 View Post
So how is tapering a false hope when people in the medical profession (more knowledegable than you or I on the subject) push it as a viable option?
Even if some doctors that prescribe tapering, the key is that it is "a viable option" under their supervision and discretion.

It may include prescriptions and other monintoring and preventative care that prevents harm and injury to the patient.

I think there's also the issue that the OP wants to quit alcohol to abuse other drugs. That complicates things.

Disclaimer - I am in the medical profession.
Old 11-08-2013, 12:20 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Matt we've had this discussion many times. Just because you or someone else will not go to a Dr does not mean it is not the best solution. It is the policy of the website to direct people to the best possible outcomes. The likelihood of the best possible outcome is always going to be medical supervision. Even if it wasn't in the rules, I'd still recommend it. I had a series of mini strokes in my last 'home alone' detox. I was lucky - I made it - but I'll be paying for that decision not to seek help for the rest of my life. D
This post hit me hard, Dee. I always self-detoxed after a binge and the process got worse and worse during the final 3-4 years, eventually bringing me to where I am now, having chosen to be sober and give up booze entirely. The detoxing initially involved insomnia, and then subsequently insomnia + shakes, and then insomnia + shakes + appetite loss + confusion + anxiety + extreme blood pressure and worse. I can never go through that again or else I'm sure it will kill me...enough said and thank you for reminding me of how terrible detoxing is!
Old 11-08-2013, 01:08 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  
polyaddicted cocanut

Originally Posted by Fandy View Post
Well how can Medical Withdrawal work if you drop out?

don't blame the school for not getting back to you...did you pursue it? and at this point, treatment (maybe IOP)? might be what you need.

But the biggest factor is that you are honest in saying you are NOT done. Under-O, right now you are young and resilient, but you are doing more damage than you think, this is a losing proposition. You are losing LIVING your life as you could. many would give up their thumbs to have the choices you have at your age. don't throw away the opportunities you are so blessed to have....including your brain cells.

just go to the ER and detox?
I pursued it for a month. I talked with different counselors/advisers on the matter and they told me there would be no difference in just withdrawing before the deadline than taking a medical withdrawal, as far as $ and my academic standing goes. However, if I took a medical withdrawal I would have had to go to rehab in order to come back to school. I told them I would think about it and finally decided I wanted the medical withdrawal, but I tried for a week to get in touch with the lady I had talked to previously about it and I never could, so I dropped out at the last minute, with no negative repercussions, just a loss of money. The medical withdrawal would have been the same, except I would have had to have my family spend more $ on treatment. I know what the right thing to do is, I know what the wrong things to do are. Sometimes I enjoy doing the wrong things. I understand the risks involved but hell sober people die every day. I haven't had a drink since 5 am and I feel fine, just a little foggy mentally. I never would have thought that alcohol would help me think more clearly. I feel like if I was severely dependent I would be experiencing harsher symptoms, and much sooner than the 12 hr mark. If I feel like my life is in jeopardy I will seek medical attention, I understand this site is all about harm reduction and the mantra of "see a doctor" but humanity has been using alcohol for thousands of years, do you think people had the luxury of detox facilities back then? I've heard stories of old time AA'ers administering whiskey to newcomers to prevent w/ds or to alleviate w/d symptoms.... You know what my doctor would do if I saw him? He'd probably tell me to slow it down and he'd send me home with a script of xanax
Old 11-08-2013, 01:34 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  
polyaddicted cocanut

Either way at the end of the semester I'm going to have to face the music. That's when the fun is over. I just don't see any need in stopping now, I just want to cut back, I know that sounds like a pipe dream and thousands have said it before but I'm comfortable. I just have no desire to get clean. Sometimes I feel like I should do the right thing you know, but it's a fleeting thought. This whole go to college and get a degree and settle down work a full time job 9-5, is a harsh reality but it's depressing. But then I look at all the alcoholic addicts in my family and I think to myself "what parasites!" But I'm no better than they are

There's a very very small part of me that says I need to cut this **** out, come clean with my family and grow the **** up... but it's not enough, because a second later I scoff at the idea
Old 11-08-2013, 01:50 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Administrator

After looking at this thread, the Mods and Administrators have decided to close this thread under rule 2

The consensus was we feel that a do it yourself tapering journal may encourage others to engage in dangerous practices.

2. Outside Agendas: No posts of an overtly political or religious nature OR posts promoting advocacy of particular personal, medical, legal, religious, political, or non-profit causes. The forums are intended for offering mutual personal support related to recovery from addiction or recovery for family and friends. This is our primary purpose. Debating controversial subjects should be taken elsewhere. Limited references are allowed, but the forums should not be used to convert others. Do not post content or links or materials to and from sites that flame someone's person, religious beliefs, race, national background, sexual orientation, or recovery program/method. It is inappropriate to promote the use of alcohol or drugs on our addiction recovery forums.
Dee
SR