Notices

Third Day 3 in Three Weeks

Old 11-07-2013, 11:26 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
AB3

Third Day 3 in Three Weeks

Ever since I joined and made my first thread, I've gone through three relapses over the course of about 3 weeks. No trigger, just letting the alcoholic voice overpower my logical, reasonable voice. But after Monday night (currently back at day 3,) I think I've truly come to terms with the fact that enough is enough. Missed two hours of work Tuesday battling one of the worst hangovers I've ever had, including the splitting headache, brutal nausea and anxiety, and overall feeling of absolute discomfort. Passed out in my car, parents had to drag me into the house, the whole 9 yards. Guess that's what 3/4 of a fifth of brandy and 3 tall beers will do. I had the intention of "I'm only going to have a few shots." We've all gone through that. I haven't been an active alcoholic for as long as a lot of people (just about 4 years, give or take one. Can't even remember.) My main question is, for the ones who've been sober long enough to tell, what are some of the things that got you over the hump? Over the past few months I've been realizing more and more what I need to do to keep myself on the right path. I'd just like to know what are some really healthy foods you enjoy? What kind of exercise and/or meditation techniques do you use? What do you enjoy doing with your time now besides drinking? I'm pretty sure there are threads on this exact topic, but it's always good to get some updated answers.
Old 11-07-2013, 12:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome! You're in the right place for lots of knowledge and support. I know what helped me a lot at first was a lot of reading and meditating. Staying hydrated with water or sports drinks helps too. Have you considered AA?
Old 11-07-2013, 12:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
AB3

I have but just don't think it's for me. I'm confident enough in myself that I can get through this with support from friends, family, and this website alone. It's a bit of a struggle, but understanding the problem and facing it head on is my plan first and foremost. I understand what drove me to drink all the time, all the emotional torment and feeling lost on a constant basis, having no confidence for a better future. But I'm facing these problems now with a semi-clear mind, which will only get clearer if I can stay course (complete belief in myself that I can, by the way.)
Old 11-07-2013, 01:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

Well done on 3 days x
Old 11-07-2013, 01:13 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

At what point do you decide to do something differently? Have you changed your approach in the past 3 weeks?
Old 11-07-2013, 01:18 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by AB3 View Post
My main question is, for the ones who've been sober long enough to tell, what are some of the things that got you over the hump?
After 35 years of drinking I am not sure I had many "tries" left in me. I treat this as my last go of it. I was thrown a life ring. I'm not going to let go.

Two things helped make this stab at sobriety last over three years. One was the recognition that my decision to quit drinking was a clear and lucid one made in a moment of God-granted sanity. I saw my drinking for what it was and where it was going. ANY thoughts of drinking, no matter how rational it sounded, was the insanity of alcoholism and I would no more listen to that "voice" than I would listen to the ravings of a maniac.

Second, I accepted that I wasn't a normal drinker, never was one, and never would be one. Therefore, I could never drink again. Ever. And I've accepted that.

Good luck.
Old 11-07-2013, 02:49 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

My .02

You must unlearn what you have learned.

Try not.
Do! or Do not.
There is no 'try."

Good luck and God Bless
Old 11-07-2013, 04:37 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AB3 View Post
Ever since I joined and made my first thread, I've gone through three relapses over the course of about 3 weeks. No trigger, just letting the alcoholic voice overpower my logical, reasonable voice.

But after Monday night (currently back at day 3,) I think I've truly come to terms with the fact that enough is enough.
Welcome AB3!

Same thing happened to me. I was the Queen of Relapses so I thought.

Upon retrospection, I don't believe my "so called" relapses were even a relapse in the first place. Rather, I now believe it was more the fact that I never actually stopped in the first place. Just the same thing over and over and over and over... etc... Sprinkled with a many failed sobriety attempts in between.

It wasn't until I read about the alcoholic voice on various posts here on SR. These posts helped me to become more aware of my own internal dialogue.

My watershed moment was on a warm summer day. I will never forget it. It was early afternoon August 26, 2013.

It was the very first time I stood up to the Beast and screamed, "NO! NOT AGAIN!!! ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!!!"

I haven't a drink since and I have absolutely no desire to ever go back!!!

I am so glad for you. It seems like you also had a similar awakening!!!