Notices

When your friends think your "normal"

Old 11-06-2013, 03:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

When your friends think your "normal"

So many of you might know from my recent posts, I have finally committed myself to quit drinking all together. I am currently on day four and I happen to be battling the flu at the same time. I told my family and my friends of my desires to stop drinking. My Mother was like "oh finally" and my father was like "can't you just have one?" Yes I can have one I replied, but its only a matter a time before one turns into twenty and on any given night. My friends do not think I have a problem. Some of them still get completely sh#% faced every weekend but they are able to turn it off just like that. Its like a switch us alcoholics do not have. They are able to go on a bender on the weekend and then not drink the next month because they had exams or hockey games to play or other responsibilities. I cannot do this and never have. My friends also don't know that I drank by myself all the time. I would be online with 2 or 3 friends playing black ops 2 and just pounding back the beers and they wouldn't have a clue. Sometimes I would tell them and sometimes I wouldn't, but If I did tell them I was get buddy answers like "right on" or "THE BOOZE!" Typical Canadian things to say... eh.

But I am the one who truly knows what battle I am fighting, I alone am the only one who really knows that deep down I am an alcoholic and the only way to purge myself of this horrible conflict is to be abstinent.

Old 11-06-2013, 03:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good for you to recognize that it was time to stop. I know for myself I really didnt want to believe I was that bad but it was. Also I am proud if you that you were open about telling your parents. I was not able to talk to my family or friends about my problem. I was scared of being judged. I am better with it now. I will admit that when I am here on SR I am open the most. I know that everyone here can relate to my feelings and no one will pass judgement. I wish you the best. Talk soon. .

Tara
Old 11-06-2013, 05:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Oh my mom saw it coming for years. The first time she caught me having too much to drink was at a cabin in the rocky mountains. She found me at 3:00 a.m. standing up and peeing on the sofa in the living room when I was only sixteen years old. I can still remember the couch cushions on the back deck letting the air get at them.

Oh I have stories for days.....
Old 11-06-2013, 05:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Sorensen, sorry you have the flu. I am also on day 4 and can tell some stories (the ones I remember anyway)! Congrats on 4 days - and I hope you feel better soon!
Old 11-06-2013, 05:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

Congrats on 4 days! You can do this. You may want to look for some sober friends too. I found that people I thought had the ability to turn it off either couldn't turn it off or drinking was the foundation of our relationship. Eh? That cracked me up!
Old 11-06-2013, 09:37 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yeah my throat is really sore and I am stuffed up. Can't miss work because I am the boss and I have many people relying on me to give them direction. I'm so glad I have quit and have SR to fall back on. I have no desire to drink right now probably because I am sick but I will always look here for advice and support. My friends also don't care if I don't drink, we are beyond the college days. I just won't be going on pub crawls, keg parties, or drunken ski trips.
Old 11-07-2013, 03:28 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I had the same problem, my friends don't understand that I have a problem. After a night out of binge drinking, my friends would turn off the switch and stop drinking. For me, I would be drinking the next morning, or who knows, maybe for the next couple days. They never got to see the dark side of my drinking.
Old 11-07-2013, 03:32 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Sorensen, I'm glad you came here to post. That's why this recovery site is valuable. Many of us do not have anyone to talk to about the alcohol. Stick around. Good job.
Old 11-07-2013, 07:01 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

I do understand what you mean about hanging out with folks who drink...but just for your own sake. It is normal to not drink. There is nothing weird or shameful about it. Lots of people don't drink, never drank. It only seems weird to us because our lives had revolved around booze.

I found it easier to live sober when I stopped thinking of myself as abnormal, weird or some sort of failure because I "can't" drink.