Notices

I WANT to stop, but...

Old 11-06-2013, 03:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I WANT to stop, but...

Hello, I used to be signed up under a different name, but I never really posted much anyway, and I decided the name I chose was too "me" in case somebody I knew came here.

I have so much to say, I don't know where to start. I am just waking up from a 2 bottle drunk last night to get my child ready for school. This is not uncommon, and I tell myself often at night to not drink, tell myself to only drink on weekends. But mostly I end up drinking anyway. Here is my pathetic, mess of a life:

My husband and i drink 3 bottles of wine about 4-5 nights a week, sometimes 4 bottles. definitely 4 or more if we go away for the weekend.

I drink at work, occasionally.

every business trip i have ever gone on, i drink each night until i pass out. i have spent afternoons drinking/getting drunk while attending seminars before really letting loose at night. i have missed a flight home because i was too drunk to wake up in time.

i avoid the company christmas party every year because i know how drunk i will get, and know i wont remember what i did or said.

i have eaten lightly at lunch and dinner in order to get drunker that night.

i drink often after the gym, so i get drunker that night

vacation is an open invitation for me to get wasted drunk, as in sloppy drunk.

i often drink a bottle of wine before going out, to a party or to an event.

my husband seems to be able to not drink whenever he wants, just does it because he feels like it. i do not, and instead buy wine each night while arguing with myself in my head not to buy it. drunk me wins all the time.

my husband also does not seem to mind when i do drink without him, nor when i get really wasted (we never fight, and we get along great)

i have been unfaithful while very drunk more than once. its still a secret, and i still drink. I don't deserve my husband, but I can't live without him.

No DWIs, never called in to work because of a hangover, I am awake before my child every morning to make her breakfast, I go to the gym. Basically, I'm a drunken mess who hasn't hit bottom yet.
Old 11-06-2013, 04:12 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Better when never is never

For me, it was not about what I did, but what drinking did to me and how it made me feel. My desire to quit was driven by pain in my life. I had to truly understand the link between my drinking and the pain and misery I was in and the mess my life was.

One thing I have found, though, is that many when they first here, especially my own case, is that they don't really want to quit. They DO want the negative consequences of drinking to stop, but also to be able to continue drinking normally. This is impossible to achieve.

When I recognize the clear link between my drinking and the pain and misery, then I can see what action needs to take place (i.e. the reality of the situation). I remove the statement beginning with "BUT" because it is irrelevant to my true desire, which is to have the pain and misery stop.

I quit drinking because I no longer wanted to suffer the negative consequences of drinking - the pain and misery.
Old 11-06-2013, 06:05 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome. Your drinking and experiences matches many people. I see NOWHERE in your post about wanting to stop this except accepting "Basically, I'm a drunken mess who hasn't hit bottom yet."

That will certainly happen as alcoholism is a progressive disease without intervention. We need to WANT to stop to start the positive progression to sobriety.

There is a lot of help here and AA IF you reach out and stay honest with yourself.

BE WELL
Old 11-06-2013, 06:19 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi cre8tiff,
You don't need to have a major disaster or health scare or to hit bottom to need or want to change. Read some stuff here, keep posting, watch some of the horror of alcohol films on you tube, and then maybe re-think your plan on what to do next.
Are you being the best you can be for your child?
Sounds like you need to be assertive and honest with your husband too.
If you decide you want to abstain you'll find plenty of support and advice on what to do next
Old 11-06-2013, 06:19 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Do you want to quit drinking? You say you want to stop...but. It sounds like you have reservations about whether you really want to stop.

Here is my story. I didn't want to at first but knew I needed to do something. Being plastered all the time and smelling like alcohol were going to catch up with me sooner or later...whether it would be losing my job, my kids if I were in the car still smelling from the night before and I were stopped. Accidentally hurting myself if I fell. It was all just a matter of time.

I too was a two bottle of wine a night drinker. Every night. Kept my job and salary but not my position and was transferred to a less demanding, lower status position. I got the kids to school on time, went to their functions. Could barely wait to get home to drink again and start the whole thing over. Always felt like crap. Tired all the time. Skin red and blotchy. Barely ate so I was usually too skinny. Horrible life for me to live. Missed out on a lot of stuff with the kids because even though I was with them I was blotto. Barely functional. Usually a passed out mess by the end of the day. Shaky and weak the next day. Trips to the emergency room because of anxiety but were actually withdrawals. I remind myself of that when I think about drinking. I cannot control how much I drink once I start.

I did get sober. Called work one sunday and told them I was an alcoholic and needed to get treatment. It was a hard call to make but I needed help that I could not get on my own. I went into detox for three days and then in patient treatment for 14. I went to AA meetings. I managed to stay sober for ten and a half months when my husband who is also an alcoholic relapsed. I relapsed and am struggling now, one day at a time to get back to where I was. It isn't as bad as it was before....yet...and I keep that in my head at all times.

Only you can decide when you have had too much of the pain. It was hard to think that I could never drink like a normal person. It didn't seem fair. Still doesn't. But the pain is worse than the pleasure. I want a better life.

If you have reservations about quitting, you won't probably do it. I didnt. however, Just keep reading here. Read through the family and friends if alcoholics threads to see how our drinking impacts those around us. Only you can make the choice when you are ready. Good luck.
Old 11-06-2013, 06:40 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
quat

I was exactly where you are with my drinking and my thinking about. I wanted to stop but it never happened.

My first day here 7/27/13 , I think it says , I saw a post that mentioned RR/AVRT. I googled those terms, went to the website and took the online crash course. I got their material and read it. It changed my perspective on addiction and changed my mindset about quitting. I realized I could do it, and for it to happen I had to be the one.

It still amazes me to read so many posts from so many different people and yet realize how many times I could have written them almost word for word.

wish you well
Old 11-06-2013, 06:46 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Your thread heading said, "I want to stop, but...". But what?? It's been said that a "but" negates all that's been said prior to it. Your last sentence says it all. You haven't hit your bottom yet! There was no "but" at the end of that sentence so, that's the truth. You know you haven't hit bottom and you've been around long enough to know that unless/until you do hit bottom, there's always going to be a "but". When you get to the place that you can say without hesitation, "I want to stop" you'll have a lot better chance of stopping. The probability is that if you continue to drink, one of two things will happen. Either you'll hit bottom or you'll die drunk and miserable. Your choice!
Old 11-06-2013, 06:55 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

In AA we talk about the YETS. I have not lost my job yet, I have not lost my spouse yet. I have not lost custody of my child yet, I have not been arrested yet, I have not been hospitalized yet, I'm not living on the street yet, I haven't died yet.

Alcoholism is progressive and you will experience the YETS and from your description it is amazing that you have not experienced any because you are quite a ways down the alcoholism Road.

AA work for me when all else failed
Old 11-06-2013, 07:05 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

When I first went to AA i thought the same thing. I am not like these people.
A kind guy told me the YET story.
Add YET to the end of each sentence.

Once those started happening I knew I was gonna hit bottom real soon.
And boy did i hit bottom.

Figure out what you "but......" is
Old 11-06-2013, 07:26 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

You say you haven't hit bottom. I'm curious as to what you believe "bottom" means.

Many of us have learned something about "bottom". Rather like "old age" the older we get, the older "old age" gets. When we are 7 a 45 yr old seems "old", but when we are 45..."old" is someone who is 75...

How bad is bottom from where you are now? Sadly, the closer you get to it, your definition of "bottom" is likely to change. The positive aspect of that is that it means we get to set our own bottom. We can decide that we've already gone way to far and stop, we can choose to make today our bottom...or we can decide to sign on for further degradation, pain and embarrassment.
Old 11-06-2013, 07:30 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Cre8tiff, welcome. Nice name.
Old 11-06-2013, 07:30 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cre8tiff View Post
No DWIs, never called in to work because of a hangover, I am awake before my child every morning to make her breakfast, I go to the gym. Basically, I'm a drunken mess who hasn't hit bottom yet.
Don't worry about hitting bottom. Time and alcohol will help you reach it if you feel you must. Of course don't forget that the bottom isn't a set list of horrible things that need to happen to you - DUI, lost job/house/family etc etc etc.

I hit bottom when I'd reached a place where I was ready to admit I had a problem and was prepared to ask for help.

....the exact circumstances (list of problems and complaints) are irrelevant; It could have happened sooner (less problems), or later (more problems).

Do you have a drink problem - can you stop on your own, would you like some help?
Old 11-06-2013, 07:49 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Just the fact you are here means a part of you wants to quit. And that's good.

It started like this with me. You feel bad, but it's not hurting anyone...yet. The other gets will start to be nows, ie, I haven't let anyone down, yet.

Good luck.
Old 11-06-2013, 08:54 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Being at your bottom dosen't mean you'll somehow have that magic aha! and all in a moment quit forever and ever. The consequences can of course keep on getting worse and more serious, goes without saying. You know, bottoms are what we say they are - for me, wanting to quit and not quitting anyways, drinking right thru the consequences and losses anyways, having my life fall apart and remain as always still lost was enough of a "bottom" for me, and I still drank nonetheless. Knowing my bottom didn't make me quit. Don't wait for your bottom to somehow morph you into a better place to make better choices. All bottoms are really just pure subjective conjecture and projected crystal balls, imo. They can still be used as a general measure of how bad is bad, but don't depend on any bottom saving your life. If bottoms really worked as advertised and promoted, people wouldn't die from alcoholism. Of course people do die from alcoholism - as in being dead now and not alive anymore because of not quitting on drinking.

When we become of a mind to make the right choices, and follow thru with the right actions to change ourselves up from being drunk to being anything but, then we do manage to quit and stay quit. Not really important how that quit is managed - its really all personal choice and we do best to just work whatever works best for us individually.

FWIW, your life presents to me anyways as crazy enough to quit now. It can only get worse with more drinking. Quitting changes things for sure, and your probably not comfortable with the changes required to stay quit maybe?
Old 11-06-2013, 09:53 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I want to quit, I just am having a hard time of going more than a few days before I find myself drinking again. Cutting back to just weekends isn't my end goal, it was just a way I could slow the train down. I know I have a problem, I just listed bluntly all the bad things I've done, and my comment of not hitting bottom yet wasn't meant to sound like I'm OK. I realize that bottom is coming soon if I don't stop.

I come to this site to read others stories about how they do it, see if others are like me as well and to try to use what I've read to last longer than 3 days sober. I figured I may as well start contributing as a first step.
Old 11-06-2013, 10:31 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

My first post here was a year before I really, really wanted to/had to quit. In that year I realized, I couldn't quit. I had been looking in the mirror, drunk and disgusted, telling myself I was an alcoholic for two years before the lash of humiliation, and shame, I finally went and found help in person.

I was a wino as well. 2 bottles a night. More on weekends. This might not sound like much, but that's over 700!! bottles of wine in a year. In dollars, that's $7,000-$10,000 a year habit. and all that booze had to go through my poor liver and brain...

I had many "yets", but I realized I had squandered many years drinking, sapped my own potential away, began to be verbally abusive to people, thought of hanging myself, drunken emails I didn't remember, more and more often I was having blackouts, and then I saw a video of myself drunk the night before on my wife's phone. I couldn't watch 10 seconds of it. It was like seeing someone else using my body, memories and my mouth... a horrible person...

Shortly after that, and a year after my first post here, I did something about it. Becoming sober was a big change. The cutural changes was enormous. Prior to sobriety, I knew no one who didn't drink. Now I know many healthy, happy and living former drinkers. I made 3 years this month, and must remain vigilant.

And the people I used to hang with are either all gone from my life, or their lives are now hitting the rocks because of booze.

You can quit. Many of us have. It was worth it. It takes a huge amount effort, even for people who are not late-stage alcoholics who shoulder the stereotypes. I hope you choose health! Good luck!
Old 11-06-2013, 11:13 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

What is bottom? I'm a CT mom too. I've never had financial or legal problems. I am happily married and blessed with a great child.

Bottom to me means realizing I have lost time I will never get back. Bottom means I got lost along the way. Bottom means somewhere I forgot how to say no, how to decompress without alcohol, how to feel comfortable in my own skin. Bottom meant having over the keys to my life to a liquid in a bottle.

Bottom meant hurting myself, knowing I was hurting myself and doing nothing about it. It meant watching my life as if from afar and feeling like a set director instead of the main character. Bottom meant watching things I cared about slowly ebb away as I sat curled up in the corner of a sofa clutching a glass of wine every afternoon and evening. It meant carrying the bottles that I hid in the furnace room out to the bin on Thursday mornings after my husband left for work.

Bottom meant going to a fancy rehab and having my suitcase checked in case I had smuggled in anything, fancy's not too fancy when your luggage is being patted down. It meant having my hair conditioner taken away from me because alcohol was listed as an ingredient. It meant sitting alone in the airport watching happy families go by on their way to a fun vacation. Bottom meant being able to sign the credit card receipt and then turning around to take a breathalyzer. It meant learning terms like "locked down ward" and unit assistant and process group.

Bottom meant learning what "handles" of vodka meant. It meant hiring more people to do tasks I should have been able to perform myself. It meant running from doctor to doctor to find out what was wrong with me when I wasn't owning up to a huge chunk of my life. Bottom meant hungover Christmas mornings, sitting in pickup line at my daughter's school waiting to get home to drink, not wanting to look in the mirror because the evidence was beginning to accumulate.

No one has to throw me in prison and shut a door behind me to help me find my bottom. I lied, I was deceitful, I was obsessed,I was actively involved in creating my own misery. I didn't need to lose the external factors, I gave away something much dearer, my soul. If there is something lower than that I don't want to find it.

When I hear people talk about high bottoms or being high functioning I often think that it would be better to be lying in a ditch, filthy hands clutching a bottle. Because at least then the outside would match the inside. I am not proud of the fact that I had a longer run than some people, if anything I squandered more opportunities to get help. I guess bottom is like goal posts that we keep moving further down the longer we allow our disease to ref the game.
Old 11-06-2013, 11:41 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Welcome to SR! I think one of the common theads you'll find here is that YOU have to be the one to decide if you really want to stop drinking. In my experience, I found that no one was able to make me stop, except me. When I decided I was done, it was like a weight was lifted from my shoulders and with some work, my life is now better than I ever could've imagined while drinking.
Old 11-06-2013, 03:29 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cre8tiff View Post
. I realize that bottom is coming soon if I don't stop.

I remember thinking this when drinking..

It only took a matter of 8 months after having this thought.... thinking that something could go wrong with my drinking ways.

Took me from looking like a relatively young active healthy(looking) man...to dead at age 32.

congratz on checking in before your bottom comes..
Old 11-06-2013, 04:59 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

In your headlong search for your last drink of your life, you aren't recognizing that while each day you drink, your addiction becomes harder to end.

What will happen to you when you decide that last drink you will have is the one you just finished? Set that silent scream of fear aside, sit down and describe to yourself what will happen when that day comes. No more shame or guilt, depression and anxiety will lift, you will feel better, you will think clearly again, your physical health will improve, you will sleep better. You will begin to live again.

There is no ideal time to quit drinking, but there is a best time to quit, and that is right this moment. Now. Right now.

You can have a life like this again, one with no more alcohol in it. You can, honest. And it is something you can achieve, if you but believe that you can. Onward!