Notices

Staying vigilant

Old 11-04-2013, 11:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Staying vigilant

I gave up three years ago and there are very few occasions when I really want to drink. However the past couple of days have been tough.

On Sunday I had ten people to lunch. It was a "naming party" for a baby to whom we are godparents. There were also three dogs and one cat! I have a puppy who is trained but gets over-excited. However, he is very sweet and would never do harm.

At the end of the party the father of the baby, under the influence, gave me a rollocking for my puppy - who had done nothing wrong but the man is afraid of dogs and was protecting his child. I totally understand this but he was aggressive with me and said some things that were unpleasant and I was upset.

Obviously the drink had been flowing all day which is normally fine with me. But the last straw was going to my bathroom (my sanctuary) and finding that my husband had left a full glass of red wine in there (my poison). I so wanted to drink it. The urge was horribly strong. I didn't of course.

Then yesterday I was very tired, still upset and had to go to another party. The room was filled with smoke and alcohol fumes. Water was all that was available for me to drink. I only stayed for about an hour. Luckily it was that kind of party and I didn't have to stay longer.

Today I'm giving up Coke Zero because I'm sick of everyone telling me how bad aspartame is for me. Especially while they are holding a large glass of wine!

Breathe!!!!!!

Thank you for listening.
Old 11-04-2013, 11:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Diet soda is very unhealthy. It's good for your waste line, that's it though.
Old 11-04-2013, 11:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Getting your frustration out here is a great thing to do.....most of us can relate! Sharing it with others helps you and us. Be strong!
Old 11-05-2013, 12:04 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I know diet soda is bad but it was a better option than wine and it's kept me sober for three years. So I don't knock it but it's time to give it up!
Old 11-05-2013, 03:06 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

This made me laugh out loud:

Today I'm giving up Coke Zero because I'm sick of everyone telling me how bad aspartame is for me. Especially while they are holding a large glass of wine!

I also was a red wine person, and I also spend a lot of time with diet soda now. I'm with you: if it keeps me from the wine, I'll take the chemicals. [I'm curious what you're planning to drink instead, though.]

It is hard to be surrounded by people drinking wine who just don't get it. Case in point: If you're like me, you would never accidentally leave a glass of wine in the bathroom. I ALWAYS kept track of my glass of wine, even when I was plastered.
Old 11-05-2013, 03:57 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I love JustODAAT's last paragraph! Yup there was ABSOLUTELY NO CHANCE I would leave my glass of wine anywhere except right in front of me! My husband is a bit of a boozer and also a man who loses stuff regularly. In the case of wine he often has more than one glass on the go!

I've had to get my head around the fact that there is NO alternative to Coke Zero. So fizzy water, lemon and ginger tea and coffee - and people will comment on the coffee I know!!!! Actually I used to be quite addicted to fizzy water so I just have to develop that habit again!
Old 11-05-2013, 04:05 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

yes there is...try the soda stream...their flavorings are made with either 50% less sugar or splenda.
i love mine.
Old 11-05-2013, 04:12 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Doesn't Splenda have aspartame? Also where I live I'm not sure I can find one! Thank you I'll get looking and I'll try the internet.
Old 11-05-2013, 04:19 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Gaudi, I've just discovered lemon and ginger tea, yum! Do you have honey in yours? That's the only thing stopping me drinking it all the time, the honey calories.
I was grabbing something out of my DIL's fridge today, and there was an open bottle of white wine in the bottom. Out leaped AV from under it's rock. I didn't give in.
Old 11-05-2013, 04:40 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Fandy thank you so much. I just read about the Naturals range for soda stream and I'm definitely going to get one. I am so pleased and so grateful.

Well done Feelinggreat! You should be very proud of yourself. And, yes, I love honey in my lemon and ginger tea! Actually I made a big mug with two teabags and two spoons of honey. Did you know that honey is also a "miracle" cure for so many things and it prevents colds and allergies so these are the calories I can live with.
Old 11-05-2013, 05:42 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

After a bit of sobriety I still need to be aware of me being hungry, angry, lonely or tired. AA lingo for HALT.

BE WELL
Old 11-05-2013, 06:31 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I drink Coke Zero too ,It may kill me ,but I think ill take the risk .

I know for sure whiskey , vodkia , and keystone Ice was going to do it sooner ,rather than later .