Notices

Did anyone get bad skin AFTER quitting?

Old 11-04-2013, 11:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Matt M

Did anyone get bad skin AFTER quitting?

I've on and off had blotchy and dry skin, some days better than others, which I put down to alcoholism.
I'm 23 days clean now and I thought my skin would clear up, but for some reason it's the same and if anything has got a bit worse!

I've got a few spots (whiteheadS) around the side of my nose area and I've never had spots.
I'm guessing this is the toxins coming out and my body getting used to things.
Anyone else had this?
Old 11-04-2013, 11:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I seem to remember weird things happening for a few months after first drying out....quite a reset if you drank as long as I did! Keep it up, things will even out....
Old 11-04-2013, 11:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Actually yes.

After detox I had a lot of acne and break outs, which made recovery even more frustrating. Not sure why my skin got worse after drinking, but it did. It's better now but for the 1st month or so I was having a lot of break outs. I'm 21 so I'm young enough to still have acne, but I don't know why it got worse AFTER drinking.
Old 11-05-2013, 12:09 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It's gotta have something to do with the toxins..

The corners of my mouth took a beating after I stopped drinking (cracking/bleeding)..iron deficiency?

Was paranoid that people maybe thought I was into doing drugs now or something....I dont do drugs.

Eat supplements by the handful to fight it...worked for me.
Old 11-05-2013, 04:54 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yes! I am in day 32 and having constant break-outs. I ordered some Pro-Active for the first time and am eagerly awaiting my shipment. It definitely has alot to do with the toxins that were lying within finally surfacing.
Old 11-05-2013, 05:48 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I sure have. I had acne as a teenager but not since until I stopped. The last two weeks I have had acne on my face and chest. I have noticed just over the weekend it has seemed to heal and not resurface so hopefully the toxins are declining.
Old 11-05-2013, 09:36 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yep. It didn't last, but for a few weeks my skin was very oily. I just (unscientifically!) chalked it up to the toxins leaving my body through my pores, and also that my body chemistry was re-setting itself.
Old 11-05-2013, 09:49 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

I did. Still do. I think it might have something to do with long term liver cleansing.

And, maybe my new, unprecedented, nightly mint M & M fix...

Maybe.
Old 11-05-2013, 09:50 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Omg. Yes I broje out so badly. The doctor said it was my body getting all the toxic stuff in the drugs out. It took about a month for mine to clear up.
Old 11-05-2013, 09:52 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I am 47 and past the acne stage but have struggled with the skin issues too! I agree that it has to do with all of the toxins leaving my body as well as my stem adjusting to my new lifestyle. I'm also stressed at times as I'm learning to deal with life on life's terms...sometimes stress makes me break out....I'd rather deal with that, however, than the negativity I had to deal with before during active drinking.
Old 11-05-2013, 10:13 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Yup, I still have bad skin, it's been just over a month, and i'd say it is just starting to get better.
Old 11-05-2013, 10:13 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I had excema around one eye towards the end of my drinking and when I gave up it cleared up! Weird!
Old 11-05-2013, 10:57 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Originally Posted by alphaomega View Post
I did. Still do. I think it might have something to do with long term liver cleansing.

And, maybe my new, unprecedented, nightly mint M & M fix...

Maybe.
Sneaking in here

alphaomega, mint oreos, stick the whole package in the fridge and let them chill

Now, back to your regularly scheduled program
Old 11-05-2013, 11:14 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

Originally Posted by LadyBlue0527 View Post
Sneaking in here

alphaomega, mint oreos, stick the whole package in the fridge and let them chill

Now, back to your regularly scheduled program

For the Love of Pete LB ! I thought you were my friend ???

This is LETHAL.

Why you do me like that ?

(as she immediately gets in the car to go to Walgreens)

XO AO
Old 11-05-2013, 01:29 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Originally Posted by alphaomega View Post
For the Love of Pete LB ! I thought you were my friend ???

This is LETHAL.

Why you do me like that ?

(as she immediately gets in the car to go to Walgreens)

XO AO
I know, bad bad however, you must report back.

My apologies for the threaddrift to Matt but let me add that yes, I broke out like a teenager at puberty when I quit and it took about a month to subside. Which is odd because I never had an issue during my teenage years at all so there's alcohol for ya!
Old 11-06-2013, 02:50 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

48 here and got more break outs and pimples after getting sober than I ever remember getting as a teenager even though that was quite some time ago. It gradually got better but was terrible at first.
Old 11-06-2013, 06:02 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Yeah I still have some acne almost 2 months sober, but it's slowly starting to go away and less break outs. It's frustrating though since your trying to stay sober and your face wont stay clean. It was way worse the first 20-30 days after detox. SO MANY break outs, but I've started taking my acne med twice a day again and using an acne face wash and it's gotten a lot better.

How long will this last? Since I'm not drunk acne can actually hurt my confidence. When I was drinking I'd be too drunk to care about a few pimples. Of Course when I was drinking and taking my acne meds I basically had no acne, so having it now sober is frustrating.
Old 11-06-2013, 06:18 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I hear ya Boston. It is totally a confidence breaker when you are kicking your habit and that is hard from day to day and on top of that worrying about what we look like too. It does get better tho. Congrats on 2 months.
Tara
Old 11-06-2013, 06:38 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

In my 40s when I quit and haven't had acne in a while, but I had dry, flaky skin on my face and around my ears. It cleared up in about a month.
Old 03-13-2017, 06:10 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your helpful info. I am 56 and just quit drinking after my doctor told me my liver was enlarged. I am now opting for some healthy changes, but I have psoriasis like breakouts now. I am sure this is toxin related, but it is not acne. I will see where this journey leads. Thanx again.