Notices

Drink and physical appearance....

Old 11-04-2013, 04:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Drink and physical appearance....

If you could look in a magic mirror and see exactly how you would have looked right now if you would have never touched alcohol, how different do you think the image would be looking back at you? Purely physically.

Also, if this option was somehow offered to you...would you take it or would you not even want to see it?
Old 11-04-2013, 04:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I have no idea how I might have looked - I'm not bothered one way or the other by the way I look now tho.

D
Old 11-04-2013, 04:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I have no idea how I might have looked - I'm not bothered one way or the other by the way I look now tho.

D
lol well good for you dee, at least that's one less thing you have to worry about
Old 11-04-2013, 05:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Vimble, I can look in the mirror now and see how much better I look without the alcohol. Some of the physical changes you are talking about improve with sobriety. No puffy eyes, better skin tone, healthy shiny hair, no broken red veins on my nose and cheeks and the pores on face much smaller. I'm sure people here will have more to add. Stick around it's a great site.
Old 11-04-2013, 05:02 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

That's hard to say...
If I hadn't drank I dont know if I'd of done so much research into nutrition/health so I might be a sober fat slob lol

I dunno if the scars from self harm would be worse or less, alcohol for a long time helped my mental health, but then it could also mean I hurt myself worse.

I'm not really interested in what if's... the addiction is horrible... but would I want to be a different person inside or out? I don't think I would.
Old 11-04-2013, 05:06 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yeah, it wasn't a question that I intended anyone to take too seriously maybe some might find it a touchy subject. Non the less, still can be an interesting concept if you think about it!
Old 11-04-2013, 05:20 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I think it's a fun question! I would LOVE to see what I would look like. I would totally look. I think I would be surprised at how much different I would look.
Old 11-04-2013, 05:31 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I would probably be 40-50 pounds lighter.
Old 11-04-2013, 05:32 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Quite honestly the magnitude of my sexiness is the least of my worries right now.
Old 11-04-2013, 05:39 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hmmmm... good question. My drinking career was about 5 years total, with the last 1.5 being an alcoholic. I never drank before 2008. I had gastric bypass and have lost 200lbs. Once the weight dropped, for the first time in life I started going out and and clubbing. My surgeon did warn that some of the side of effects were substituting one addiction with another (go figure). I'm kind of with Twinings, I definitely have a few war wounds from falling, breaking glasses and cutting myself, bruises that didn't totally fade. My eyes are no longer blood shoot red or the whites turning slightly yellow, my skin is getting better although it's been 31 days and I think the toxins are trying to still come out, so I've been having break-outs, I've experienced no more bloating in the face or abdomen.
Old 11-04-2013, 05:41 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

At the height of my depravity I smoked cigarettes, smoked weed, drank alcohol, and occasionally dabbled in cocaine, mushrooms and LSD.

I weighed 130lbs

Thankfully that was more than 20 years ago.

Today, not only have I not drank, not smoked and not done any drugs at all since August 20th 2012, but this morning I did 13 pull ups, 15 shoulder presses, 40 push ups 100 sit ups and bicycled 14 miles. I weighed in at 175lbs.

Needless to say, the difference in appearance is noticeable.

Moral of story,
You don't need a "magic mirror."
What is required for change is the belief that you will be defined by what is in front of you, not what is behind.

Good luck and God Bless
Old 11-04-2013, 05:47 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Vanity is part of my sobriety parcel (physical health, mental health, relationships, appearance), so I appreciate this question. I would imagine that I would have fewer broken capillaries if I hadn't ever drank. I would also imagine that I would be about 15 pounds lighter, with fewer stretch marks.

Good news is that the body is amazingly gifted at repair--since I stopped drinking, my complexion is clearer, my eyes are brighter, and I've lost nearly 10 pounds. My hair is growing at an amazing rate and it's super shiny.

And, no, I would not want the opportunity to see my my alcohol virgin self. Absolutely not.

Interesting question!
Old 11-04-2013, 05:55 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Good question. I have facebook pictures of what I looked like a year before and the very beginning of my drinking career. My face and skin was so clear, not red, and I was so much lighter. I looked healthier. It is what it is, though. I can't go back and change the fact I took that first drink that got me hooked. I just know it'll get better with more sobriety and I just not dwell on what could've been :-)
Old 11-04-2013, 06:06 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I remember looking in the mirror in the bathrooms at my grad school and thinking, they must know that I'm an alcoholic. There was so much anxiety about how I looked after a weekend of binging. I know I don't have to worry about that in recovery.
Old 11-04-2013, 06:08 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by caboblanco View Post
quite honestly the magnitude of my sexiness is the least of my worries right now.
lmao
Old 11-04-2013, 06:21 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thanks for the answers I'd just like to stress again it was purely a fun question not to be taken too seriously. I fully agree on moving onwards and upwards and not looking back, that's never a good idea unless it serves you in a positive notion.

However, I think what cathryn said about 'sobriety parcel' was great as I can fully relate to you on that. I will be completely honest and say my personal appearance is important (each to their own eh!) to me and the improvements I have seen physically since being sober have been a great motivation for me personally. Nothing but positive from that point of view i guess
Old 11-04-2013, 06:29 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

When I was drinking, I didn't really care about how I looked. Now at 7 weeks, I'm working out and eating better. Can't say one of the motivating factors isn't looking better. If that makes me vain, so be it, lol
Old 11-04-2013, 06:35 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mirage74 View Post
When I was drinking, I didn't really care about how I looked. Now at 7 weeks, I'm working out and eating better. Can't say one of the motivating factors isn't looking better. If that makes me vain, so be it, lol
Haha nail on the head nothing wrong with that what so ever!
Old 11-04-2013, 08:40 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I'd have less scars if I wasn't an adrenaline junkie and been such a drunk. But life's a journey and mine has been good so far. For what it's worth, folks comment that I look younger since quitting totally. I feel way better.
Old 11-04-2013, 09:03 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I would look like I was 30ish. I was going to say 17 but that is a bit much. Drinking and smoking are so aging to your skin. I am or was always young looking for my age, which is almost 49. I know that when I am not drinking my skin is clearer and not red and raw looking.