Notices

My story of withdrawal and recovery.

Old 11-03-2013, 04:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Thumbs up My story of withdrawal and recovery.

Hi guys, How are you all!? I'm brand new here but I have decided to sign up as It seems like a great place to chat and basically come for motivation and inspiration in recovery! I have been clean for the best part of a year now but I would basically love to share my story in the hopes that it may inspire/help someone in any way who is having problems who happen to stumble upon it. Other than that I hope it makes an interesting read for anyone who's interested.

I actually wrote this (my) story a quite a while back now and put it on a different online message board but unfortunately that message board seems to be down now and there can be no more interaction with the posts So, I thought why not put it somewhere much more active like on here

Here's my story (very long I’m sorry). I hope this helps anyone who reads it. I have been drinking for the past ten years. I binge drank heavily through years eight and nine (usually four days a week, solid drinking morning till night over the weekend period) and for the past year, it gradually erupted into full alcoholism.

I remember earlier in my drinking years, I could always go out on a night once or twice a week, get smashed, then go into work next day. I'd be hungover but not anxious or irritable or anything of that nature. I just generally felt crappy.

As the years went on, my partying got harder and harder and that's when I finally started feeling my first bouts of anxiety. On mornings after a heavy drinking session, I always felt so anxious and irritable and basically had to lock myself away in my room for the day until the symptoms subsided because I felt too uncomfortable to be out doing things or even being around anyone.

I fell into the trap like many others of using alcohol to “cure” this reaction so I could actually feel calm and do something with my day. So basically, I would start drinking again in the morning and everything would be fine. I would essentially feel normal again. I would even do this while staying at friends’ houses after nights out and they would laugh and call me “hardcore” for starting drinking again at 9 a.m., but really I was only doing it because I knew if the anxiety kicked in and I was there I would freak out! I felt very uncomfortable being around people when the anxiousness kicked in so it had to be done for me to operate and act normal and at least get home!

These bouts of “masking symptoms drinking” would typically last a few days then I would consciously make the effort to taper off on the fourth and fifth day to ease the anxiety. On the sixth day, I wouldn't drink and would typically stay in my room for the day feeling anxious, and then usually the day after that I’d be O.K. I'd then stay sober for three or four days then start the cycle again.

I'd normally knew that about four or five days drinking was my max binge time and I very rarely went over that limit, because each day of drinking beyond that made my anxiety get worse each morning after.

When the real trouble started, I had been on a holiday and basically drank 24/7 for 10 days solid, longer than I had ever done before (beer, wine, spirits the lot). After this, when I tried to stop, the anxiety was even more intense than before and I started experiencing other symptoms as well that I had previously not encountered. I found this very unnerving so again I turned to the alcohol to make it go away.

I realised I had now crossed a line I hadn't crossed before and as it got worse and worse, I needed more and more drink to keep me feeling normal. By now I was drinking from morning until night, constantly every day. To make a long story short, at my worst, I remember writing down that I drank 26 bottles of lager, three medium sized bottles of brandy and two bottles of rose wine throughout that one day. This was a typical pattern (some days worse than others) that carried on until I was eventually deteriorating and completely ran out of money as I was now unemployed.

I had covered it up for so long and this was the point where I finally cracked and told my family everything. They were so supportive and I felt so thankful to have that support and understanding. It was just before this point I went into real withdrawal. My symptoms were as listed: extreme anxiety to the point I couldn't even sit down to watch TV or read because I simply felt too uncomfortable, so I was basically just walking and pacing around my house twitching all day and night because I also now had insomnia and I never felt tired. It was total mental torture. This intensity went on for three days solid and was not subsiding, only getting worse. I ate about a mouthful of porridge in that whole time frame and that was it.

I was sweating, shaking, having disturbing, strange thoughts, waves of mood swings and feelings of being scared. At one point I also lost my vision, everything faded out into white (not like black when you close your eyes) yet I was still conscious. I am now taking a guess at this being a dehydration issue but I'm not 100% sure.

I had a lot of audio hallucinations -- usually strange noises and sounds like violins and rhythms playing and random thuds, voices that sounded like they were coming from another room. I dropped cigarette ash on my carpet and that turned into a black insect (the hallucination lasted about four seconds) and also I saw light flashes and trailing strobe like movements when I moved my hand in front of me. Another thing was the involuntary body movements. Usually, my arms and neck would just move on their own and my body would jolt when I would try and relax.

My throat swelled up and made it very hard to swallow anything and my tonsils and the side of my mouth were covered in white dots, as were my lips. I'm assuming this was because my immune system was running so low it couldn't fight infection. My lips also cracked at the seams and bled & scabbed.

I threw up on myself quite a few times while lying in bed (all over the sheets). I had bizarre dreams when I finally managed to get some sleep (usually about an hour) and would wake up with tremors throughout my whole body and rattling the bed. I also had random spells of crying and abnormal eyelid movements when blinking. To top it off, I also had bad 'brain zaps' while all this was going on -- a strange, constant buzzing electrical type sound in my head that was very irritating and strange – I remember it buzzing in my head so much that when I looked in the mirror my face was trembling with vibration. I found this very unnerving. oh, and a slightly swollen, puffy face.

I was convinced I was soon to have a seizure as I had everything else I had read possble and heard so much about but thankfully, I never did.

I eventually knew I had to go to A&E, so I got a family member to get me some alcohol so I could get drunk and be calm enough to actually go there. After the drink, I instantly felt “normal” and very calm and happy and relieved. At the time I was very uniformed about withdrawal so I was very confused about what was happening to me. They were no help at all at the hospital, to be honest, and just sent me home with basically nothing to go on apart from some drinking advice. Three days later, I was back in again as I went back into withdrawal due to the bad advice the doctor gave me while I was there.

This second time, I saw a much better doctor who advised me to start recording my drinking in a log daily. I started by drinking just enough to keep myself out of withdrawals, which was around 30 units a day but not get drunk either -- just a steady level to stay calm. I just wanted to be off the stuff because my withdrawals were so bad I never wanted to experience that torture again.

I did this and it kept me functioning normally until I got the help I needed from my local drug and alcohol team to get a detox (long waiting list on NHS). Over the next 59 days after that hospital visit, I was drinking constantly (except when sleeping), sipping slowly to keep the withdrawals at bay 24/7. It worked and I was sleeping and eating normally again. I eventually got down to 19.5 units a day on my own. By this point, I was strictly drinking one type of lager (4.8 percent alcohol), so I knew I was tapering down safely and efficiently.

I got the go-ahead for a 10-day home detox on librium and acampiosate and I can honestly say I didn't feel one single withdrawal symptom. Not even a shake. I was shocked it worked so effectively! It was like a miracle because I was convinced I would still feel some sort of symptoms lurking under the effects of the drugs -- but nothing!

I have been fine and clean ever since my ordeal and I can honestly say I feel even better now than I have in over 10 years. I guess I'm very lucky in that sense. I also kicked smoking 2 weeks after my detox too. It's inspired me to go on a health kick and have so much more respect for my body. I also learned so much from my experience; it was all for the best.

Alcohol traumatized me so much that I've never looked back. All I think now even when I fancy a pint, is why in the heck would I want to go back there to that place? Why?

Would it make sense to jump into a hungry shark-infested swimming pool? No. To me, it's the same with the alcohol. At least the sharks would just eat you and get it over with, unlike the alcohol where you're in a constant state of extreme suffering and torture!

But that's just me and my personal logic on the matter and where my head is now. It takes time and it does take a lot of strength.

I've taken the time to share my story because you only know how bad it is if you have experienced it first hand. I have so much empathy for people suffering now I am also very aware that everyone is different and it affects people very differently and people deal with it differently. There always seems to be some underlying issue though, that triggers this, I think that's what most of us have in common if that's the case.

To anyone suffering now and who feels hopeless, I remember feeling exactly the same. I remember thinking that it was going to last forever and no matter what I read, or anyone told me, there was no actual way out; it was just words. It was damn right scary and gloomy and I had a feeling of raw hopelessness.

But trust me, it is possible There are so many people out there like me who are living proof. It's just a shame that some of us have to hit rock bottom or lose everything to get the motivation to actually do it.

Only you can make the choice and choosing to stay living in a crippling nightmare of a reality certainly doesn't make sense now as I look back. If that's where you like to live then so be it; it's you're life and your choice, no one else's. The place I live in now is calm, structured and full of happiness. It's great living here. Obviously, the former was much easier said than done at the time, but I now see it as the truth.

Make the choice, and if you want truly want to get out of this, firstly make sure you're ready. Be smart. Get a plan together with help of a professional to safely regulate your drinking until you get the help you need and never be afraid of seeking advice. Life's too short for that. Get in touch with you're local team get all the help you can! It's there for the taking right now. That's what I did and look at me now! Blessings to all and good luck.

Thanks for reading guys

Old 11-03-2013, 04:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Vimble

You posted in our Stories of Recovery forum which is for our members with one years recovery and over.

If I read your post right you're in your first year of recovery, so I moved your post here instead....

You'll get some great feedback here

D
Old 11-03-2013, 04:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sounds a lot like my story! I knew I had crossed a line when I started reaching for the hair of the dog, but it took me a solid year after that of misery to realize it. Glad you're here.
Old 11-03-2013, 06:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Wow! This was awesome. I too can attest to audio/visual hallucinations. My "last drunk" landed me in the nut house. This was my wake up call. I thought I was the only one who experienced the "liquor burned" lips. Lol
Old 11-03-2013, 07:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Good, and I can really relate to the withdrawals!

Not wanting to be a kill-joy, however, but to anyone reading this thinking that tapering off alcohol will work for them because it worked for this person, be warned - it probably wont. Complete abstinence, and giving in to the reality that the lengthy withdrawals are going to make your whole year a journey through hell, with definite light at the end, however, will.
Old 11-03-2013, 08:44 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
CastAwayWolf

Thanks for taking the time to post your experiences in such detail.

Some of what you reported really hit home with me like you I never want to go back there!
Old 11-03-2013, 11:39 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Matt M

Most of that sounds eerily similar to what I went through!
Except I only went to hospital because I had no choice - ie when I had a full on seizure.

It's a horrible thing to go through, but the weird thing i've found is that when you've stopped drinking for a while, you don't really miss alcohol.
My problem is the voice in your head saying "ok you've gone 22 days now, easy, so you can drink socially now".
That voice is so wrong!
Old 11-04-2013, 03:07 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the reply's guys It's strange seeing that so may people can relate. I think when you post things like this it is always good for the old drinkers to read to remind them how aweful it was and for people getting that way as a bit of a warning and make them at least aware of what it can lead to.

I did the tapering TDInstall, personally because I was honestly so mortified with what had happened to me and my body. I guess that's where I differed from many other alcoholics in that aspect of being able to control. I literally went weeks hovering around the same amount of units daily (13-16 bottles of lager) without going over my limit on just beer. I no longer wanted to be drunk (as common sense told me it would only lead to worse) yet every time I stopped I just simply went into withdrawal so I was completely trapped. Also, they would not let me detox on the amount I was drinking at the start, they said they would like me to get anywhere below 20 units before I start. I was just so relieved to get out of that crazy please I've never experienced anything close to it from any illness of what have you.

Just so you know I now take B-multivitamins, Magnesium Citrate (recent and great addition) & Fish Oil daily. The only thing that lingered for me into recovery was spells of anxiousness that would just come on (nothing even close to before though). I was thinking to myself, have I done the damage now? Is this what I have to put up with forever? They went from a few times a day, to a few times a week, to once a week and now to nothing! I'd really recommend the magnesium citrate to anyone as I felt I saw improvements since adding this.

Just to add guys. Something I am now really curious about and just plain interested in how the human body reacts to things such as drugs/alcohol. With alcohol you often read a lot about DT's and different people seem to have different definitions of what DT's actually are. I've heard some people refer to simply having the 'shakes' as DT's which I don't believe is remotely the case! But I am still struggling to actually define it properly. How would you guys rate my case on the withdrawal severity levels? I'm sure there's been many worse on here and I can't help wondering when looking back how close to actual real danger I may have been at the time? Would this have been a case to hardened alcoholics as Intermediate withdrawal symptoms with alcohol hallucinosis or would it be classified as being at the advanced stage delerium tremens?

If anyone could help me out with that I would be grateful. Whatever it was won't make much difference to me now personally as it was horrible enough whatever the case, but I suppose it would be quite sobering to know if I realised I was close to the point of possible serious danger with where I was at.

Thanks for reading again.
Old 11-04-2013, 06:57 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

So many of us can relate to the withdrawal part. It's an awful experience. While I will still in denial, I would have stopped reading. Instead, I read the whole thing. Good post!
Old 11-04-2013, 07:28 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by Vimble View Post
I can't help wondering when looking back how close to actual real danger I may have been at the time?

If anyone could help me out with that I would be grateful.
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...m-tremens.html
Old 11-04-2013, 11:22 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
CastAwayWolf

The good news, is that we never have to go through alcohol w/d again...if we choose to never take that first drink!

That thought always gives me strength.
Old 11-04-2013, 11:49 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

nice post. thx

Geez, happy I checked in detox when I did.

As for the tapering route - it didn't work for me.

Still went into withdrawals with plenty of alcohol in my system. Scary stuff.

Can totally relate with the messed up lips! Mine are just starting to look good again after alittle over 3 months. The corners of my mouth were the worst..argh.

Thanks again for the post You brought me back too my withdrawal Hell...was craving beer when I got up this morning.

Had a protein shake instead
Old 11-04-2013, 12:36 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MaxxPower View Post
nice post. thx

Geez, happy I checked in detox when I did.

As for the tapering route - it didn't work for me.

Still went into withdrawals with plenty of alcohol in my system. Scary stuff.

Can totally relate with the messed up lips! Mine are just starting to look good again after alittle over 3 months. The corners of my mouth were the worst..argh.

Thanks again for the post You brought me back too my withdrawal Hell...was craving beer when I got up this morning.

Had a protein shake instead
I'm glad that it helped you out when you read it, that's exactly the reason why I posted it It even helped me reading it back it I often forget how bad it was! ha! I think it's a really good idea for anyone to do
Old 11-04-2013, 03:12 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Excellent post. You captured exactly what I've been through. I believe the pain of alcohol withdrawal is possibly one of the worst things a human being can endure. I don't say this lightly; I've suffered two heart attacks, a few kidney stones, dislocated joints and would suffer any of them again before alcohol withdrawals.

My fervent hope is that someone who isn't yet at this stage but is having the beginnings of problems with alcohol reads this and decides to stop.
Old 11-05-2013, 12:31 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TomSawyer View Post
Sounds a lot like my story! I knew I had crossed a line when I started reaching for the hair of the dog, but it took me a solid year after that of misery to realize it. Glad you're here.

Hair of the dog ,was the end for me . too