Notices

A Technique to stay sober

Old 11-04-2013, 01:23 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I pray. It seems a lot less harsh and I get some peace.

I don't deny that there is evil in the works, past or present. This is how I came to find my HP. For there to be bad there has to be good. They qualify each other. Ying and Yang. They both have to exist.

I choose to be part of the good. To think good thoughts. To pray in a positive manner. To ask for willingness, strength and guidance so I can do Gods will and not my own.

If I think myself into wanting a drink, I call my sponsor or a fellow AA member and pray.
Old 11-04-2013, 05:23 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

" turn you mind to the men and women who did not speak out under the merciless torture of the Nazis."
there were many that did speak out and were tortured and killed.

"Turn you mind to having your fingernails torn out. Turn your mind to being pursued daily by the fear of the gas chamber. Turn your mind to the hunger and filth of the concentration camps. Turn you mind to watching your children die of starvation and disease."
I lived in fear ever friggin day when I was drinkin. I didn't get sober to live in fear.

"The incarcerated chose life every time."
spend some time in a prison or 2 and you will find this is a false statement.

but if it works for ya,good. sounds too depressing for me.
Old 11-04-2013, 05:31 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
LDT

" I didn't get sober to live in fear."... No truer words (for me) were ever spoken. Thanks tomsteve! Excellent mantra for me today.
Old 11-04-2013, 10:39 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Thank you all. It's funny but I don't see those examples as some of you do. I see the courage of some of those men and women, and their determination to survive - and to protect - inspirational and positive. I found that their stories helped me a lot.

Each to their own!
Old 11-04-2013, 11:05 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
My brain is trying to kill me

I'm with pmv. I also hang out with a lot of people whom I can learn how they have done it ODAAT. I try to stay out of my head and not fantasize or dream the "What IF"; that's how I got her to begin with.

But hey, whatever KEEPS you sober, good for you.
Old 11-04-2013, 06:50 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Gaudi I get ur point here. No matter how bad u have it someone else has had it worse. But for me I just pray and turn my cravings over to god. He drinks for me now. I never use the human experience and the flaws of our species to motivate and fight off the urge to relapse. Interesting tho.
Old 11-04-2013, 08:05 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I tend to think of a personal horror, rather than a historical horror such as the Holocaust.

Part of what keeps me sober is the thought that i could wake up in a jail cell, asking what happened, having a police officer tell me that during my "blackout" I committed vehicular manslaughter and took the lives of an innocent family on the road and destroyed the lives of their loved ones.

That's enough horror to think upon to keep me sober.
If you think it would never happen to you, you underestimate the potential alcoholism can do to destroy you.
Old 11-04-2013, 11:25 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Wow SteveJr

thank you for that. I think maybe I need the Holocaust because I gave up before rock bottom. I skipped the denial phase all together. I was lucky enough to have had an alcoholic mother and ex-husband and so could cut myself off at the pass - so to speak. I was so terrified of ruining my life that I got out while I was ahead. So I don't really have any personal horrors to refer to.

Posts like yours make me feel very lucky and blessed to have had my childhood and my first marriage. They taught me so much and ultimately saved me.

Unfortunately I can't get my head round prayer and handing over to a higher power so the courage of others becomes my god.

Have a great day everyone.