Notices

Cant stop obsessing.

Old 11-02-2013, 04:01 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Cant stop obsessing.

Im on day ten of sobriety and like many attempts before thoughts about the things I have said and done whilst under the influence in the past have me obsessing over them causing massive anxiety ,paranoia and depression. Tips anyone ??
I am on antidepressants and do take the odd valium when im really anxious , but hope to ween myself off meds hopefully in the future. Thanks luke.
Old 11-02-2013, 04:28 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi again Luke

Normally I'd say time helps, but you've posted about this before, several times.
Do you think maybe counselling could help?

D
Old 11-02-2013, 04:36 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I am 97 days sober and my doctor started me on an antidepressant on Day 3 of my sobriety.

I stayed on the antidepressant for 8 weeks, but now I wish I never took them; it was another physical withdraw and mental change I had to go through.

Forget the things you said and did while drunk..you can't change it and I am sure you are making a bigger deal out of it than the other people involved.

I have learned that most people are too consumed with their own lives and problems to ruminate on what other do or did.
Old 11-02-2013, 08:27 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

One may want to consider the steps of Alcoholics Anonymous. Once reaching Step 5-
"Admitted to God, to ourselves and to another human being the exact nature of our wrongs", these feelings of remorse and guilt tend to slip away.
Old 11-02-2013, 02:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

12 Steps have helped me with this very problem. Mainly 4,5,7,9.
Old 11-03-2013, 05:09 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

The longer you go without drinking, the more distant those memories will be. The more life you life knowing you'll never do those things again, or act that way again, you prove to yourself and other people that you're a totally changed and better person.
Old 11-03-2013, 05:25 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm going to second what Dee said. Try getting a counselor of some sort to keep you honest with your sobriety. I found that when I felt accountable to someone it was harder to break and relapse. After that, it really is just time away from drinking. The farther you get the easier it will be.

Hang in there and don't drink, those terrible impulses will go away in time. I know from experience because I dealt with the same debilitating cravings for years until I finally held out long enough for them to go away.