Notices

Post-1 year...

Old 11-02-2013, 01:28 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Post-1 year...

Hey

I am coming up for one year clean.

I just wanted to hear thoughts and advice from people who have got this far already. Is there anything I should look out for, or expect?

Thanks
Old 11-02-2013, 01:39 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I can't remember anything particularly myself - it was pretty much one day at a time.

I got things a lot more together in year two tho - I moved on to a focus beyond just not drinking, onto my life and stuff I needed to fix - I felt ready at one year

congrats on the upcoming anniversary

D
Old 11-02-2013, 03:07 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

So I was reading somewhere that it truly takes one full year of sobriety to really be 100% sober.

I am at 97 days after 25 years of daily drinking and I can tell a big difference in clarity today compared to a month ago.

You are at one year....any comments?
Old 11-02-2013, 03:11 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Well, yeah that is actually how I feel.

I needed to do a full year, to experience a full earth orbit with no alcohol in my system, to truly reset myself.

I agree with your idea.
Old 11-02-2013, 03:21 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Friends in the Undie thread have mentioned the old ' you've gone a year so proof you're not an alkie, you can drink in moderation' AV
Congratulations on your monumental achievement. If you focus on how much better your life is now than it was 12 months ago, nothing can cause you to turn from your path. Stick close to those you know best and who have supported you recovery the most. Celebrate this wonderful anniversary, you deserve to recognise your hard work.
Old 11-02-2013, 05:40 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

I think one year was an important time for me too. I had survived each calendar page, each anniversary, each annual event without drinking. I found how much I enjoyed them all sober. I was becoming open to new opportunities for growth and fun, doing things I would never had been able to do while drinking.

Around that time I also began to see drinking as a moral question for me. To drink again would be to violate my new moral code against drinking. I met someone who lost spouse and infant child to a drunk driver, and drinking for me became a question of becoming that driver and being responsible for that event which caused many lifetimes of grief and loss.

Congratulations to you on your sobriety, TDInstall. That is a wonderful and most impressive achievement. Onward!
Old 11-02-2013, 06:29 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

TD
great post

in a few days i will have 1 year also. i wondered what i will be like. i set a goal of sobriety of one year. i cannot set goals of "sober for ever" cause i feel i cannot reach that like i can on a set amount of time. i think i will next set a new time measurable goal again, of one more year.
good thing is i dont have my daily craving of alcohol like i did over a year ago.
have you came to any new ideas.
Old 11-02-2013, 06:34 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

TDInstall & robgt350 Fantastic for both of you.
Old 11-02-2013, 06:55 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

On November 20th, it will be my 15th month anniversary of 100% sobriety.

My advice?

Simplify, simplify, simplify.

Good luck and God Bless
Old 11-02-2013, 07:35 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Congrats on 1 year. I agree with Dee. My first year was all about staying sober,and riding the emotional rollercoaster. Year 2 I was still learning to live sober,but it all wasn't so new. Things were settling down into routine.
All I can say is don't get complacent. There are people all of the time that start drinking again with years of sobriety. I think somehow they forget why they quit,and just how hard it was to stop.
I myself do not want to become one of those statistics. That's why I read this forum almost everyday. If I only read a thread or 2 it's enough to keep fresh in my mind that one drink is all it would take to go back to hell. It is sooo easy to forget.

Fred
Old 11-02-2013, 03:18 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

congrats to you too Rob

So I was reading somewhere that it truly takes one full year of sobriety to really be 100% sober.
when I work out what 100% sober means I'll let you Doug lol...
I'm still growing and learning at almost 7 years...I kinda like that

D
Old 11-02-2013, 03:35 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thank you everybody. Great thoughts and advice.

I agree especially with the idea that a year clean allowed me to experience every month, every event, sober. Every day has been a first for me. After a year, it will not be new, and I will be able to use the memory of the pain and utter darkness of 12 months ago to fuel the next stage of my development.

I really do appreciate all of your words.

This website is truly proof that technology is mans greatest and most beautiful, ever developing creation.
Old 11-02-2013, 10:04 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

After a year of sobriety my life tapped me on the shoulder and said "psst, you can't use drinking, drugging, NOT drinking or drugging, or being in recovery 25 hours a day 8 days a week as an excuse...it is time to return to real life.

Learning to live...letting it sink in that I recovered to live, not live to recover.

Finding balance, integration, and a sense of belonging.
Old 11-03-2013, 03:57 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Threshold View Post

Learning to live...letting it sink in that I recovered to live, not live to recover.

Finding balance, integration, and a sense of belonging.
That says it all for me. I want to live the day when I am happy and content and the thought of alcohol doesn't cross my mind.
Old 11-03-2013, 06:57 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Threshold View Post
I love this!
Old 11-03-2013, 07:02 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

That is it, isnt it. A very good wake up call.

It is easy to wallow in recovery, and forget why we started in the first place - so we can re-join society as a clean and positive member, help others and make the most of the time we have on this earth.