Notices

Moving right along

Old 11-01-2013, 08:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Moving right along

Moving along with the new job, just finished Week 2. It's been a pretty tough learning curve, a high volume of work was waiting for me on my first day and it's been non-stop.

With so much work to be done, pats-on-the-back have been few and far between. Alas, that gives a chance for my pessimism gets the best of me: "Why hasn't anyone talked to me about my latest assignments?" "Why is the other new person being trained on X, but I'm not?" "Should I take a full lunch break, or will that make me look like a slacker?", "Do they not like me?" "Will I get fired?" etc, etc, etc. I also started looking waaay down the road - towards the my first payday, my first month, my first year. I started thinking about how much money I'd make, and how much I'll need to buy X, Y, Z.

Luckily, I've learned a lot in these 16 months of recovery. Have patience. Don't let negative thoughts distract you. Don't worry about what other people are doing. Focus on the task in front of you. Don't worry about what you can't control. Simplify things. And most importantly, take it one day at a time.

These skills really come in handy. It's good to remember that the assets you develop when getting sober end up being tools that can help you throughout your life....

Just musing, I guess. Hope all is well in SR land.
Old 11-01-2013, 08:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

I can't answer your questions, but I can share a bit of something. There were recently some fairly major shake ups in my office and three of the people I worked for left the company and I was left with one "boss" and was given another and moved to another desk. After a couple of weeks, I asked the new "boss" if I was doing okay and he said "Yes! I'm very impressed." That was really all I needed to feel comfortable.

I told him that November is my review month, so I hoped he would hold onto that thought.

I guess what I'm saying is...if possible, just ask them how you're doing. Ask if they have any suggestions or if there's anything you should be doing that you aren't. Sometimes, it's easier to just ask than to try to figure out what they're thinking.
Old 11-01-2013, 08:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you so much for posting this! I truly love this site. I'm also in the Windy City, and started a new job Monday. Congrats on 16 months. This marks my 28th day. All of those sayings are true and necessary.
Old 11-01-2013, 09:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Way to go Big! Just keep focusing on getting back into the swing of a full time job, completing your work properly, and minding your own business. Some bosses are just not very good at giving positive feedback. Besides, two weeks isn't much time to assess an employee.

You have the right perspective - taking what you have learned in recovery and applying it to the other aspects of your life. Keep it up!
Old 11-01-2013, 09:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CharlieNoogan View Post
Besides, two weeks isn't much time to assess an employee.
Thanks man - needed to hear that! I totally know that too. I just suffer from some hyper-paranoid delusions that plague the best of us. I didn't join this place to get promoted to Sales Director in week 3. I joined because I can do the work, wanted some professional socialization, and most importantly because I needed a dang job. Hah. Perspective, right? Thanks for the support, chat soon pal.
Old 11-01-2013, 11:14 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Great post, Big! I find one unexpected effect of overcoming alcohol dependence is true self-confidence. With alcohol there were brief times of false bravado followed by self doubt that goes with the baggage of being a drunk. There are many members on SR that have overcome a horrible addiction and these a special folks. I admire all of them and aspire to be in the longtime sober club.
Old 11-02-2013, 05:45 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

I took some comfort from the knowledge I had become sober, securely and resolutely sober. If I can do that, what limitations do I have?

Kick out the slats and pour your new self into this new job. I am sure you will be fabulous. You already have the hat! Onward!
Old 11-02-2013, 06:01 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Congratulations BigS on the new job from a fellow Chicagoan. I got sober shortly after you did and always enjoyed your posts/experiences/advice etc. I'm sure you will excel as I always had the impression that you have a great work ethic..
Old 11-02-2013, 06:04 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bigsombrero View Post
Moving along with the new job, just finished Week 2. It's been a pretty tough learning curve, a high volume of work was waiting for me on my first day and it's been non-stop.

With so much work to be done, pats-on-the-back have been few and far between. Alas, that gives a chance for my pessimism gets the best of me: "Why hasn't anyone talked to me about my latest assignments?" "Why is the other new person being trained on X, but I'm not?" "Should I take a full lunch break, or will that make me look like a slacker?", "Do they not like me?" "Will I get fired?" etc, etc, etc. I also started looking waaay down the road - towards the my first payday, my first month, my first year. I started thinking about how much money I'd make, and how much I'll need to buy X, Y, Z.

Luckily, I've learned a lot in these 16 months of recovery. Have patience. Don't let negative thoughts distract you. Don't worry about what other people are doing. Focus on the task in front of you. Don't worry about what you can't control. Simplify things. And most importantly, take it one day at a time.

These skills really come in handy. It's good to remember that the assets you develop when getting sober end up being tools that can help you throughout your life....

Just musing, I guess. Hope all is well in SR land.
Thanks good words!

I like that one about negativity. I read somewhere once that you have 3 kinds of people:

1. The one's who stop and need to always think positive

2. One's who are negative and let that stop them and give up

3. Then you have the one's who have negativity, but follow this concept- "You can have as much negative thoughts as you want, just as long as you don't stop, you don't bother with it at all, you don't even worry about trying to replace it with positive, and you just keep walking towards your dreams". Because you know, if we stop and start trying to become this whole positive person, we STOP and then we wind up a positive person in our lives, but we don't wind up living our dreams. And by the time we reach our dreams all that negative will be seen as the BS it is. It's best not to give into negative AT ALL. Not take it serious. Ignore it. Let it go. Keep walking. Don't even bother with it.
Old 11-02-2013, 04:05 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks guys!

Update: got an e-mail from the CEO this weekend, said he was glad to hear I was enjoying the job, and encouraged me to reach out and say "hello" to him during the workdays anytime.

Small blessings, eh?

I took that as a sign and have done some extra work this weekend that will come in handy when I start up again Monday morning.

Thanks for the support folks.
Old 11-02-2013, 04:12 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

BS..I always had the mindset that I hired bright people and then let them run with it. The ones I had to lean on were usually the problems. I have always found your posts here to be so very insightful, you project great clarity and wisdom. I would be hard pressed to believe that you don't bring that same skill set to the office.