Notices

Heart Rate/Beat

Old 10-31-2013, 01:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Heart Rate/Beat

In my last 3-4 months of drinking I had at least 1 panic attack everyday, sometimes 2 or more. They were bad panic attacks too where my heart felt like it was going to fly out of my chest it was beating so fast.

I don't have panic attacks anymore, but I still worry anytime my heart rate is ever elevated. I don't wanna lift, work out, exercise, play basketball or really anything that raises my heart beat.

Even when I'm just sitting around I'll see myself feeling my chest to see if my heart is pounding. Even if it's just beating normal and I can feel it I'll think it's racing sometimes or at least beating too fast.

None of this ever leads to panic attacks or anything, but I'd like to be able to lift and exercise again and not think about how fast my heart is beating. This isn't a huge problem, but I have only lifted once since detox and it's something I want to get back too. I guess I had some many bad panic attacks the idea of anything that raises my heart beat makes me nervous.

Does anyone else have problems/anxiety about their heart beat/racing heart?
Old 10-31-2013, 01:56 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Personally, i've found once the initial alcohol induced anxiety goes, the normal anxiety I have gets better if I do exercise and do lift weights. I start at home, then start cycling and before I know it i'm back at the gym, surrounded by other people and not feeling too bad! And if I do get some anxiety, just leave!
Old 10-31-2013, 02:20 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I had a high pulse rate and elevated BP when I was drinking. Alcohol puts pressure on your heart and arteries which is why a high percentage of alcoholics also suffer from coronary heart disease.
Since entering into recovery 13 months ago I have maintained a good exercise and diet regime. For a year I cut down on fatty foods and fast food and soft drinks and cut some foods out such as processed meats all together. My HR is now under 60 (resting) and BP is 120/60. I'm 46 and as fit as I was at 25.
As a trained Paramedic I've attended patients who had tachycardia episodes. That is, they have a racing heart rate and are extremely anxious. This happens to some people and is called paroxysmal atrial tachycardia, patient wakes up with racing heart rate and start to get really anxious thinking they are having a heart attack. The cause is generally anxiety compounded by lifestyle issues. I had it, its not nice.
I would recommend seeing a doctor to get a proper assessment just to rule out anything. This would involve a questionnaire, check up, blood sugar and cholesterol and possibly an ECG.
In the mean time try to take it easy and stay off the booze of course. Exercise within your limits but see a Doctor first if you plan to get serious in the gym or train for marathons.
Best
John
Old 10-31-2013, 04:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Twinings View Post
Personally, i've found once the initial alcohol induced anxiety goes, the normal anxiety I have gets better if I do exercise and do lift weights. I start at home, then start cycling and before I know it i'm back at the gym, surrounded by other people and not feeling too bad! And if I do get some anxiety, just leave!
It's not an anxiety issue, it's just that I had some many panic attacks it's hard for me to elevate my heart rate. I also find myself always feeling my heart and even if it's normal sometimes I think it's beating too fast.
Old 10-31-2013, 04:51 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Do you find it's worse after large meals or consuming sugar? Those are triggers for me.
Old 10-31-2013, 05:30 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

That bothered me for a while , I just quit worrying about it
Old 10-31-2013, 06:23 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Grateful

I understand what you are saying BSF. Unfortunately mine is not caused by previous panic attacks, although I went through those during a separation/divorce and can understand the logic behind your thoughts. I have a prosthetic aortic valve and ascending aorta and I can hear every heart beat. Before I quit drinking it was so loud it caused me to be in a constant state of anxiety unless loaded, which I managed to stay every day.

Since I quit drinking my BP and HR have both lowered significantly. While this hasn't totally eliminated me being able to hear my heart beating it has softened quite a bit. This has lowered my anxiety level as well so I am no longer "tuned in" to what my heart is doing so much. It was kind of like a snowball effect, and by eliminating the booze everything else has improved a lot. It didn't happen overnight but over a few months, and it is still improving more than 6 months later.

Hopefully you will naturally experience improvement over time and one day you will realize it is no longer the issue that it seems to be now.
Old 10-31-2013, 09:18 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm real familiar with all of that.
I have a heart that likes to a-fib. I had panic attacks that would put me in an a-fib. Ask me if my drinking improved any of that.

Go see your doctor. Even people who never drank sometimes have goofy things going on with their body and it isn't always something serious. Sometimes people just have things that they need to take care of or need to be managed.

I was always scared to kick adrenaline or exercise or do pretty much anything until I went to a cardiologist and got checked out and found out I just have a very common heart thing that can be managed with medication. A cheap generic beta blocker. Can't get much simpler.

Haven't had a panic attack in years. Haven't had to be cardio converted in 4. I workout and can do whatever I want to do. Except drink. I couldn't find anyone who thought that was a good idea.

Go see your doctor. You feel better knowing what's going on.
Old 10-31-2013, 09:35 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Johnston View Post
Do you find it's worse after large meals or consuming sugar? Those are triggers for me.
No, but as of late caffeine has worried me even though I haven't had any panic attacks or noticed anything.

It's a mental thing. After so many panic attacks where my heart was racing just the idea of my heart rate being elevated worries me. I did lift once and didn't have problems. It's not a physical problem, but I can't seem to lift or work out because I'm worried about my heart rate being elevated and a panic attack occurring.

It's hard to explain.