Notices

Tired and Emotional

Old 10-30-2013, 02:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Tired and Emotional

Today I am tired.

This morning I am reminded of the permanent tiredness I felt when I was drinking. My mother, who was also an alcoholic, used to say she was "tired and emotional" which basically meant "drunk and bad tempered". The tiredness of the drunk is so different from the tiredness of the sober.

Today I am tired because I've been doing too much. In my drinking days I was tired because I was doing nothing but drinking.

The old tiredness felt unmanageable. This sober tiredness feels cosy and satisfying.

What's more when I sleep now I really sleep. Wonderful, dream filled, heavy sleep and I wake up refreshed and happy after only one good night's rest.

I don't really believe the drunk ever sleeps. Not really. Just a kind of passing out that leads to unconsciousness, while the body struggles to recover while it gets the chance, before the next liquid onslaught.

I am so grateful for my sober tiredness and my sober sleep.

This is truly one of the greatest rewards of being sober.

Have a great day everyone. And then I hope you sleep well and have very happy dreams.
Old 10-30-2013, 02:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

I was just thinking this not too long ago because I'm really tired lately. I don't know how I did it before. I would spend my weekends passing out and then my weekdays trying to catch up on sleep but falling more behind. I'm so glad I don't have to do that anymore!
Old 10-30-2013, 02:43 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Oh Tamerua, isn't it wonderful!!! When I think of drinking again I think of sleep and just know I couldn't bear to lose it again. When you start drinking young I don't you realise. Also because it all "creeps up" on you over a period of time. I just thought I was a "bad" sleeper! As it turns out I sleep better than a baby!

To know thyself!!!! One can't do it drunk as that is a false world.

And like you I don't know how I got through the days with the kind of exhaustion I felt.
Old 10-30-2013, 09:28 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I haven't had a decent night's sleep in like 20 years.

Even though I have been sober for 3 months I still don't sleep that good but it is getting better.

I guess it all takes time.
Old 10-30-2013, 09:31 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You have a really good way looking at things . I never slept when I was a drunk.

You have a great day too
Old 10-30-2013, 10:47 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Doniker, keep persevering. Don't give up. The sleep will come I promise. And when it does you won't be able to give it up and it will help in your sobriety. For now it gives you something to look forward to!

And thank you MsJax.