Notices

Alcohol retention in cooking

Old 10-30-2013, 12:21 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Grateful

I don't pay any attention to mouthwash but I'm not so sure I want any of that NyQuil stuff around. That actually taste like a shot IMO. A bad one but one none the less. Maybe it's that it comes with its own shot glass that really just bugs me. I don't know.
Shoes,

You are not wrong in thinking that Nyquil tastes like a shot. It contains 25% alcohol. That's right, 50 proof cold medicine!

That's definitely one product I think everyone can agree on should be avoided.
Old 10-30-2013, 03:47 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

I will agree with Dee, the extremes are difficult but relevant sometimes. One of the very first AA meetings I ever went to an old-timer was discussing his plan to have 10 teeth pulled without any painkiller, just to be safe. Lots of nodding. I was convinced I was the sanest person in the room that day. I'm sure now that wasn't true, that there were others that thought that an overreaction. I still wouldn't make that choice though.
Old 10-30-2013, 06:04 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Like several people have noted it's a personal decision - and it is emotive in the sense of personal decisions, but also in the sense that arguments that seek to ridicule the contrary point of view, or reduce it to absurdity, always seem to pop up in these threads, and tick people off.
D
Logical positions, and ones that attempt to be justified with numbers or data can be refuted by the reductio ad absurdum. On the other hand, emotional positions are valid, as I noted, and aren't amenable to rational discussion and cannot be refuted. They just are. A personal decision.

I am freaked out beyond rational description by heights. No justification is possible as it is a purely emotional reaction and makes no sense to me whatsoever. I just get totally squicked. I understand that folks have an emotional reaction to consumption of anything that they feel might have an unacceptable level of alcohol. For some it's orange juice and others it's beer-butt chicken, neither of which have any real content of alcohol at all.

If it's an 'emotive reaction', have at it. We are each trying to make sense of living without alcohol, and some have found their own comfort level already. Ridicule of emotive reactions is not appropriate in this or any other forum. I apologize.
Old 10-31-2013, 12:24 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Interesting - I recently had my first issue with this, and my sponsor told me that it was okay as long as I had no intention to feel the effects of alcohol