Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

I didn't start alcoholism because I wanted to, I started because it took my mind off

Notices

I didn't start alcoholism because I wanted to, I started because it took my mind off

Old 10-26-2013, 11:00 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

You are still going to pay taxes whether you are drunk or not and still are accountable in the after life whether you are drunk or not.

Drinking alcohol is not the game changer that many make it out to be.

Eating fast food could be deadly as well as dirty water. Its not just alcohol which brings me to the point -
This sight magnifies alcoholism and its dirty deeds but at the same time many people die EARLY in life from the foods we eat every day.

Some people need alcohol to have fun in life maybe because of a spiritual battle.

Nothing two ways to Sunday that another man can handle of the suspect cannot be dealt with without the acknowledgment of the person drinking.

That makes sense and i will sell you oil in PA
Old 10-26-2013, 11:28 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Threshold View Post
The way you quit is to no longer buy and drink booze. It's really that simple.

The part that takes work, whether a person ever drank or not, is living a life that we care to live.

Being bored is a choice too. If you are not institutionalized, you probably have the freedom of choice of a huge variety of things to do, people to interact with etc.

I don't mind if you or anyone else posts while still drinking as long as they follow the rules of the board. I wasn't sober when I got here and I've relapsed a couple times since I joined the boards. We are all works in progress. So if that counteracts boredom go for it.

It's true when we move to any new stage in life we need to learn or relearn new skills. So, maybe you need to relearn interacting with people sober. My sister just had knee surgery and she had to relearn walking.

Living sober hasn't been as hard as I thought it would be. It was pretty uncomfortable for awhile, but it grows on you.

Like drinking feels now, after a little time, sobriety can become sort of automatic.

Boredom is okay too ,ill just take a nap then ,if that happens .
Old 10-26-2013, 11:43 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gravel View Post
What if life comes when people talk? What if alcohol helps people open up?

Is it then justified rather than the poor soul sitting in a room sober doing nothing?
In my opinion, no - that "opening up" is fake, disingenuous, and out of control. It isn't real. People need to learn to open up and have relationships without lubricant that makes them into a hollow robotic caricature, operating without real consciousness, awareness, or mindfulness. I say this as someone who is introverted and used alcohol for over 15 years just to open up and be social. I am learning to do that now as my true self without using alcohol to ablate my introversion. If you think you'd be sitting alone and bored without alcohol, this is probably something you need to work on too. Of course it takes discomfort and effort at first and a lot of people, including me for a very long time, don't want to tolerate how that feels. They continue to delude themselves that alcohol is the answer.
Old 10-26-2013, 11:56 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

But tell me why YOU want me to? You sound like you are programmed to me.
Gravel, deep inside you must want to be sober.
People who are happily tying one up and whose drinking carries no consequences do not hang out on a recovery forum, they are just too busy partying and having fun.

Be well
Old 10-26-2013, 12:08 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Carlotta View Post
Gravel, deep inside you must want to be sober.
People who are happily tying one up and whose drinking carries no consequences do not hang out on a recovery forum, they are just too busy partying and having fun.

Be well
You got me there.
Old 10-26-2013, 12:10 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Great post Renarde, couldn't have said it better myself.

Gravel, I hope you can sober up and break through all these delusions about alcohol and its "benefits." Alcohol gives you nothing, it only takes.

Who says being sober means being a poor soul alone in your room all the time? That's your addiction talking my friend.
Old 10-26-2013, 12:19 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Gravol,

What the heck are you doing drinking AND posting on a recovery board!?

The only reason why im here is because my Pancreas cant keep up with me...so being sober now is my only option. SR and my willpower has helped me stay sober (3 months)

No offence but that seems incredibly boring..maybe its just jealousy talking..

actually it is jealousy talking...except the hanging out on the computer part.

urgh..im having a bad day.
Old 10-26-2013, 12:24 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I am having fun with a friend I normally wouldn't talk to this much if it wasn't for alcohol.

This does not mean he is a bad person.

I have more beer to drink and since I can I will drink more. \

I understand your fruitless efforts to help me out.

I cannot be back with the normal people who do not drink. Drinking opens minds.

If a mind cannot be opened with alcohol then a mind should be shut.
Old 10-26-2013, 12:34 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I am having fun with a friend I normally wouldn't talk to this much if it wasn't for alcohol.

This does not mean he is a bad person.

I have more beer to drink and since I can I will drink more. \

I understand your fruitless efforts to help me out.

I cannot be back with the normal people who do not drink. Drinking opens minds.

If a mind cannot be opened with alcohol then a mind should be shut.

Yikes,

I understand whats going on here.

I apologize if I offended you.. just am craving a cold beer.

enjoy..
Old 10-26-2013, 12:34 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Again, if you are having so much fun with a friend while drinking then why aren't you hanging out and talking with your friend now instead of posting... Doesn't sound like much fun to me...
Old 10-26-2013, 12:58 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I agree, you have a choice as to whether to drink. Make it, then.
Old 10-26-2013, 01:24 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Drinking is like that movie "Groundhog Day", you always know you're going to feel like 9 kinds of hell when the booze wears off. More advanced alcoholics know that withdrawal and a trip to the haunted house where death seems like a viable option is just around the corner. I had no more withdrawals left in my deck of cards. It's not much of a way to live and an even worse way to die.
Old 10-26-2013, 01:50 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

It doesn't open your mind gravel. It might make you more sociable but it numbs your mind.
Old 10-26-2013, 02:46 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BackToSquareOne View Post
Drinking is like that movie "Groundhog Day", you always know you're going to feel like 9 kinds of hell when the booze wears off. More advanced alcoholics know that withdrawal and a trip to the haunted house where death seems like a viable option is just around the corner. I had no more withdrawals left in my deck of cards. It's not much of a way to live and an even worse way to die.
I don't want it to wear off. In stead I want it to last forever.

I walked over and talked to the neighbor, something I would have never done sober. Turns out he is sick in a chair and I never knew.
Old 10-26-2013, 02:59 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

You seem to have forgotten how you got here. Let me lend a hand.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ml#post3683940
Old 10-26-2013, 02:59 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
LDT

And if he needs you, you won't be able to help your sick neighbor as long as you are drinking, Gravel. That's what sober people do.
Old 10-26-2013, 03:00 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

You could have done that sober, and in being sober you'd have done so authentically and as the real you.

You are alcohol dependant, and clearly in the throes of severe addiction.

Alcohol doesn't give you super powers or suddenly make you a functional, normal person. It suppresses brain function... among other nasty side-effects.

What happens when your newfound neighbor friend comes by tomorrow to hang out but you're too hungover to do anything? Drink more so you can "open up" again?

A sick man in a chair? Sure you aren't talking about yourself?

Come on man, you're smarter than this.
Old 10-26-2013, 03:15 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

I don't want it to wear off. In stead I want it to last forever.

I walked over and talked to the neighbor, something I would have never done sober. Turns out he is sick in a chair and I never knew.
Hence why I went on 3 - 5 day binges. Didn't want it to wear off. I could only get serious about quitting when it finally clicked that I was the problem, not the booze.
Old 10-26-2013, 03:34 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

It's a bunch of bull to say you was born with some DNA that made you successful to alcohol. Come on I an not that gullible.
Most alcoholics will find any excuse to drink. In fact, I used this excuse myself a few times while I had my own pity party. I do know now that I can't drink and I will never, ever beable to have just one drink. At some point some switch was turned on and I can't go back.

But why are some of us more susceptible to it than others? That is the million dollar question. Is this in my genes? Why am I like this and not my sister? Why does this run in my family? Etc Etc.

It can't be cured but can be controlled by not picking up that first drink. Having that first drink is a choice. I can choose to have a drink today or I can choose not to. And today, I chose not to.
Old 10-26-2013, 03:46 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Administrator

This thread is closed.