Notices

Feel like odd gal out

Old 10-25-2013, 10:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Feel like odd gal out

Question for you: If you were the bar or drank with others type how did you get over the feeling of being left out when you quit. I never drank alone, 99 percent of my friends drink, I see on FB talk of bars, parties, happy hours. and my AV is going into overdrive (like it does every weekend). That I am now going to be the odd one out, boring, no more fun, no more social gatherings where there is alcohol. How can I ever be around people drinking and not feel like a drag (this in my mind - most of my non alkie friends like me better sober and say I am very fun to be around when I'm not drunk or buzzed).
Old 10-25-2013, 10:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Volunteer to be the designated driver?

I've found that I have little interest in bars or hanging out with people drinking as a sober person. They really are quite boring when they are drunk.
Old 10-25-2013, 11:08 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

belle, I found that in the beginning I had to stay away from Facebook. Most of my friends are the party type also and I was sick of seeing pictures of people out at happy hour. Pictures of a cold frosty sweating beer sitting solitary on a bar. I just had to stop going there for a while. It serves no purpose in early sobriety than to irritate you.
Old 10-25-2013, 11:30 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It's funny how everyone on Facebook that posts about drinking is having a good time.

Let's see some morning after posts.

At age 50 I think the bar scene is for kids. I was even bored with the bar scene years before I quit drinking.
Old 10-25-2013, 11:32 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LadyBlue0527 View Post
belle, I found that in the beginning I had to stay away from Facebook. Most of my friends are the party type also and I was sick of seeing pictures of people out at happy hour. Pictures of a cold frosty sweating beer sitting solitary on a bar. I just had to stop going there for a while. It serves no purpose in early sobriety than to irritate you.
I also deleted my facebook. The thing about recovery is that you have to focus on you. I've found that facebook just distracts me from my recovery. Not to mention that new studies are showing that facebook can contribute to depression.

I tried hanging around bars being dry too. Just didn't work for me. My friends (some of whom probably qualify as alcoholics) knew I was trying to quit alcohol yet they were always the first ones there to offer me a drink.
Old 10-25-2013, 11:50 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Originally Posted by doniker View Post
It's funny how everyone on Facebook that posts about drinking is having a good time.

Let's see some morning after posts.

At age 50 I think the bar scene is for kids. I was even bored with the bar scene years before I quit drinking.
Oh no, believe me, I made SURE to get on Facebook the next morning to watch the posts of pain as I sat there clear headed and comfortable. Then I came to the realization that I was still connecting myself with drinking by even doing that. Plus, realizing that I was reveling in another person's pain didn't sit right either. I never realized just how much I had associated with only people who enjoyed drinking. You find out a lot after you quit.
Old 10-25-2013, 11:52 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Message is, there are a lot of great things to do to help yourself look forward to Friday and Saturday that focus on sobriety and recovery. Who needs to watch a bunch of people engaging in an act that we recognize we can't?

Heading to see Gravity in IMAX 3D tonight and I am as excited about that as I used to be about getting out of work to drink.