Notices

Sigh. Here I go......

Old 10-23-2013, 10:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sigh. Here I go......

Long story short:

Been drinking daily for about 4 years.
Have stopped and started dozens of times, with my longest break of about 2 weeks.
Struggle, struggle, and struggle some more.

Then my brother got cancer. And he died last month (at age 35).

My emotions are wrecked, my brain is broken, and I'm drinking at an unparalleled pace for me (approx 12 pack a day).

I'm self employed, with a beautiful family and thriving business. But personally, I'm destroyed.

I am just checking in here to chronicle my decision to quit. I've employed counseling and an accountability partner for this attempt, as I know I can't keep doing this to myself as well as my family.

That's it. It's time. Thanks for providing a great resource for discussion. Any questions - just ask!
Old 10-23-2013, 10:16 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm sorry for your loss and your hurting heart. May I ask what your personal beliefs are in terms of a higher power?
Old 10-23-2013, 10:29 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good luck finding this place is a god send. Keep reading and posting.
John.
Old 10-23-2013, 10:31 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bob8619 View Post
I'm sorry for your loss and your hurting heart. May I ask what your personal beliefs are in terms of a higher power?
very, VERY Christian.
Old 10-23-2013, 10:33 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

In that case I want to remind you that Psalms 34:18 tells us that The Lord is near to the brokenhearted and saves the crushed in spirit. He is still there and loves you. Keep seeking Him and TRUST in Him even when it feels so hopeless and dark. He WILL see you through this, just as He has done with me.
Old 10-23-2013, 10:34 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to SR! I'm glad you found us and joined the family.
Old 10-23-2013, 10:56 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi grad, welcome to SR. You came to a great place. Hugs.
Old 10-23-2013, 11:51 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

thanks guys - i MUST make some progress. I'm really hurting, and I'm not going to get any better drowning my life away.
Old 10-23-2013, 02:31 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ttugrad1793 View Post
Long story short:

Been drinking daily for about 4 years.
Have stopped and started dozens of times, with my longest break of about 2 weeks.
Struggle, struggle, and struggle some more.

My emotions are wrecked, my brain is broken, and I'm drinking at an unparalleled pace for me (approx 12 pack a day).

I'm self employed, with a beautiful family and thriving business. But personally, I'm destroyed.

I am just checking in here to chronicle my decision to quit. I've employed counseling and an accountability partner for this attempt, as I know I can't keep doing this to myself as well as my family.

That's it. It's time. Thanks for providing a great resource for discussion. Any questions - just ask!

Welcome ttu, you will find a lot of support and help here. I'm sorry for the loss of your brother, and I understand your sadness, but remember he is gone now and you cannot bring him back. You still have family that needs the "full" you, not the drinking "you". I think your brother would want you to move forward and make the best of the life you have.

Since you're a Christian man, have you considered AA? It's a spiritual program, so you may find it fits in with your beliefs. I'd suggest attending a few meetings just to see if it might be for you.

Whatever you do, stick around this site. You will find a lot of kindred spirits here.
Old 10-23-2013, 02:49 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

feeling pretty good at quitting time. Normally this is when my day falls apart, but I'm just not feeling it today (which is beyond rare).

A good start!!
Old 10-23-2013, 03:20 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Grief was a huge issue with me and drinking.
It's been one month since yer brother's death.

I am so very sorry.

I really hope you can be gentle with yourself and grab hold of some hands that come yer way.

Take care,
Lethe <---who's heavily edited this one! Grieving still some days. And that's ok.
Old 10-23-2013, 03:31 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi ttugrad. I'm so glad you found SR and joined us. This is a great place for support & friendship.

I'm sorry you lost your brother, and I know how tempting it is to get numb to push the grief away. The thing is, it doesn't work. All we get is a temporary break - then the emotions hit us twice as hard. Grieving is important and necessary - I'm sure you already know that. I'm happy that you reached out and sought help to get through this. Your brother would never want to be the cause of your pain and suffering. I hope you'll honor him by living the best life you possibly can. We know you can do it.
Old 10-23-2013, 03:33 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome, the site has helped me immensely.
Old 10-23-2013, 03:53 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome ttugrad1793

I'm so sorry for your loss but I'm glad you found us - there's an immense amount of support and understanding here.

D
Old 10-24-2013, 06:27 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

well, isn't waking up the morning after making the RIGHT decisions just about........priceless??
Old 10-28-2013, 01:49 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

checking in - doing good. Saturday was hard, but I made it through. Trucking along............
Old 10-28-2013, 02:50 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hey ttugrad! Keep on keep'n on!!! And welcome to SR!
Old 10-28-2013, 03:00 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Realising my life

Thank you for sharing your journey, ttugrad. I know what it can be like to lose a sibling and I am backing you all the way
Old 10-28-2013, 05:36 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
zjw

thats a tough loss. when your at your wits end lean on God He'll pull you through no problem. But keep in mind sometimes being close to Him is right where He wants you. That being said in the future run to Him first rather then the bottle. I know I chose the bottle first many many many times. Once I was rescued from booze the light when on and I realized I did not have to choose booze anymore.

Hang in there your've been through a difficult loss just get yourself healthy. 35 *sigh* thats how old I am and I quit booze and cigarettes partly becuase I was terrified of getting cancer. I still am.
Old 10-28-2013, 05:47 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

Originally Posted by ttugrad1793 View Post
Long story short:

!
Heartfelt Welcome ttugrad. We have many parallels. I lost my sister, am self employed, with a beautiful family and thriving business. An absolute Jesus freak and personally I, too, am destroyed.

But the longer I stay away from the drink, the more whole I become.

And the more I lean on the incredible people here, the more less destroyed I am.

Humility is our greatest asset for it is in our weakness, that we find our most valuable strengths.

Glad you're here.