Notices

Sigh. Here I go......

Old 02-05-2014, 06:36 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

hurting.

My entire plan was for a good 90 days of sobriety leading up to a cruise my wife and I had planned. I made it approximately 50 days and then fell apart.

So here I sit ready to go on the cruise TOMORROW, and am just exhausted.

Do I just give up and drink on the cruise and start another 90 days when I get back?
or do I man up and use the cruise as a good time to focus on my health?

I dunno. But a good 6 weeks of drinking really, really SUCKS.
Old 02-05-2014, 07:33 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Going 50 days is amazing. You can do it again. Go for it! I had to stop letting life/plans get in the way and just quit. No time or place is going to be perfect. I never tried more than 30 days and it always sucked crossing days off the calendar. Then finally I tried settling in for the long term one day (or minute) at a time, knowing that no craving could be as bad as the shame and sickness of my drinking. Furthermore, the cravings go away whereas drinking seems to have some new discomfort to discover every day!
Old 02-05-2014, 09:29 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Use this cruise to show yourself that u really CAN have fun sober....some of these cruises have AA meetings too
Old 02-05-2014, 06:59 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Don't drink, there are meetings on the ships, they are called friends of Bill W. I am going on a cruise myself into weeks and plan on attending a meeting every day. I figure the vacation be more enjoyable if I'm not spending the whole day hung over.
Old 02-12-2014, 08:28 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

back from my trip. Even more tired.

Today I start again. I can't believe I have to be at "Day 1" again, but here we go!
Old 02-13-2014, 04:26 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Hi TTU.....I am on day 1 today ....and TRYING to stick with this also...... Stay Strong!!!
Old 02-24-2014, 11:19 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Ok, feeling good, but..........HERE WE ARE AT DAY 1 again!!!

Today is the day - I can feel it. I'm ready - let's rock this thing.
Old 02-24-2014, 01:04 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back ttugrad

Rocking this thing is a great attitude - but do you have a plan to help you stop drinking at all?

D
Old 02-24-2014, 03:16 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Stop drinking, continue your grief process, and you will feel so much better....in that order. So glad you have a great family and career - so many positives....that will help.
Old 08-08-2014, 06:19 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

I'm back.

I swayed back and forth all spring, would clean up for brief spurts, and then would fall off the cliff. Time and time and time again.

I'm coming up on two terribly hard dates for me: my brother's birthday in August, and then the anniversary of his death in September. That will complete my year of "FIRSTS".

This has just been a miserable journey, and I'll be the first to admit I've made it harder on myself than I needed to. It's the age old excuse amongst drunks: I just don't want to FEEL. I want to escape. But here I sit, almost a year later, and I haven't made any progress and am still left to face the very thing I have run from.

Not much to add: Today is Day 1. Again. I love my life, and want to embrace it. Thanks in advance.
Old 08-08-2014, 07:00 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

Hi TTU

What are you going to do differently this time? Have you looked into a recovery group like AA or Rational Recovery? Or therapy? The age old adage, doing the same thing and expecting different results applies with our drinking too.

It is hard, I lost my mom a few years back and I drank at it and never properly mourned her until I got sober.

You can do this. But just like your business, you have to have a direction and goal in place to be successful.

Welcome back!
Old 08-08-2014, 07:03 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Not sure really what to do differently. I'm not an AA-guy, but I am in counseling. I was in the counseling when this began, and it helped tremendously, but then it morphed into marriage counseling, and now that the issue there is better, it's moving back to this.

I'm doubling down spiritually, which also was very helpful to me early on.
Old 08-08-2014, 10:17 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ttugrad1793 View Post
This has just been a miserable journey, and I'll be the first to admit I've made it harder on myself than I needed to. It's the age old excuse amongst drunks: I just don't want to FEEL. I want to escape. But here I sit, almost a year later, and I haven't made any progress and am still left to face the very thing I have run from.

Not much to add: Today is Day 1. Again. I love my life, and want to embrace it. Thanks in advance.
I disagree, it seems you've made a lot of progress!! You've just got to find a way to acknowledge and shut down the thoughts, feelings, and screw it mentality that causes you to slip once you're in the longer stretches of sobriety. The first few months are IMHO the hardest around cravings and slipping back to "get relief, relax or numb". Find as much support as you can, and try to accept that early quitting can be like running a marathon with rocks on your back. The longer you go, the better you can identify and remove the rocks, and pretty soon you're a running machine. The most important thing is to have faith in time, it will get easier if you give it time, and don't give in. Rooting for you!

Old 08-08-2014, 10:29 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SonomaGal View Post
I disagree, it seems you've made a lot of progress!! You've just got to find a way to acknowledge and shut down the thoughts, feelings, and screw it mentality that causes you to slip once you're in the longer stretches of sobriety. The first few months are IMHO the hardest around cravings and slipping back to "get relief, relax or numb". Find as much support as you can, and try to accept that early quitting can be like running a marathon with rocks on your back. The longer you go, the better you can identify and remove the rocks, and pretty soon you're a running machine. The most important thing is to have faith in time, it will get easier if you give it time, and don't give in. Rooting for you!

Thanks for the encouragement. I really appreciate it.
Old 08-08-2014, 04:13 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  
EndGame

Originally Posted by ttugrad1793 View Post
I'm doubling down spiritually, which also was very helpful to me early on.
Not sure what this means, but something needs to change.
Old 08-08-2014, 04:23 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back

I think it comes down to doing things differently...and what you're preapred to do differently this time.

Any ideas beyond maybe seeing a counsellor?

D