Notices

Nothing interests me anymore?!

Old 10-21-2013, 07:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Cool Nothing interests me anymore?!

Been sober for a month which i know is not much at all, and i heard of PAWS not sure if im suffering from it.. I am not depressed, i dont feel depressed i still function.

For a significant period of time i simply do not enjoy anything. You name it sex, watching sports, going to movies, a game etc etc.. I used to enjoy those things or at least some things, it used to bring some excitement..Nothing now, its like im on a flat line..Does it change, will it get better?! Or is this how life is when you get older... Its like living day by day each day passing by with nothing... I heard you supposed to enjoy life to some degree
Old 10-21-2013, 07:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I felt like that at times in early days. It does get better.

It feels a lot like filling time in the beginning. Try to remember how boring drinking gets though after the first buzz.
Old 10-21-2013, 07:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I also experience that from time-to-time. I believe it's common. Exercising each day helps me quite a bit.
Old 10-21-2013, 08:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sobriety date 12/19/2011

I does get better!!!
I use to be such an outgoing person with the alcohol, loved the bars, loved listening to music, loved my friends, loved boating and golf, etc...

Now that I have been sober for almost 2 years, I don't even think abut my old friends that I use to think I loved, I could care less about them and thier many problems. I can't stand the bars - they are filled with undesireables to me now.

I use to think I was now boring, that I would never have a life again!!! But now it has gotten so much better. I started a magazine, I tried out for a play - and made it! I will be in It's a wonderful life - reherasls have started and the play is nov - dec -so excited! I am trying new things - something I would have never done while I was drinking. I joined Toastmasters,, I am forming new relationship with my kids, I am so much happier!!!

It took me approx 8 months to be really happy again, but what is 8 months out of the rest of my life?? I am experiencing miracles every day - expecting them.

Please don't give up - the best is yet to come!
Old 10-22-2013, 05:43 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

A month is early. You didn't get to where your drinking brought you in a month...it will take a little more than a month to get better.

You addiction wants you to think that sobriety is akin to misery and boredom and that happiness can be found in a drink.
Old 10-22-2013, 05:47 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yeah, a month is way early.

I felt exactly the same, and feel significantly better now.

Realise that this is all part of recovery and that it definitely gets better.

Stick with it and ride the storm.
Old 10-22-2013, 05:59 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by luke13 View Post
Been sober for a month which i know is not much at all, and i heard of PAWS not sure if im suffering from it.. I am not depressed, i dont feel depressed i still function.

For a significant period of time i simply do not enjoy anything. You name it sex, watching sports, going to movies, a game etc etc.. I used to enjoy those things or at least some things, it used to bring some excitement..Nothing now, its like im on a flat line..Does it change, will it get better?! Or is this how life is when you get older... Its like living day by day each day passing by with nothing... I heard you supposed to enjoy life to some degree
You just have to ignore the blank mind sh***, fight it, and force yourself to enjoy things still. Don't give into the bordom. Remember why sex was enjoyable for you the most, remember why watching movies was enjoyable, remember why going to games was fun. After drinking it's like we get hit by a dump truck... in the head. And of course, things will still be different NO MATTER WHAT without the drink..as we all know, you just have to get use to seeing things the original way again, without the drink, which takes every one there own amount of time.