Notices

Rarely have we seen a person fail

Old 10-21-2013, 08:01 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BackToSquareOne View Post
I always wondered if the whole "Powerlessness" message is a good or bad thing. Some people can hear that and just use it as more fuel for the fire. "I'm powerless anyhow, I'm never going to have that illusive spiritual experience so why even bother trying". It seems like it could be a double edged sword.
"I'm powerless to alcohol therefore by default alcohol is my higher power"

-Doug Stanhope comedian

c'mon that's a good one
Old 10-21-2013, 08:29 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Johnston View Post
Rarely have I seen a person get drunk who has decided to stay sober.
Really? I've seen thousands upon thousands including myself before I got into AA.
Old 10-21-2013, 08:42 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Joe Nerv View Post
Really? I've seen thousands upon thousands including myself before I got into AA.
That's a lot of people.
Old 10-21-2013, 08:45 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Johnston View Post
That's a lot of people.
I've been around alcoholics a long time, and believe it to be pretty accurate.
Old 10-21-2013, 09:41 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
AA member

Debates on these forums about whether AA does or does not work are unhelpful.

AA is for people that want it,a lot of people go for a short while and don't stay,of course it dosen't work for them.

Getting a sponsor,working the steps and then applying the steps to everyday life,is what is needed for AA to work.
Old 10-21-2013, 09:45 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Originally Posted by heath480 View Post
Debates on these forums about whether AA does or does not work are unhelpful.

AA is for people that want it,a lot of people go for a short while and don't stay,of course it dosen't work for them.

Getting a sponsor,working the steps and then applying the steps to everyday life,is what is needed for AA to work.
I completely agree that AA should not be slated as it apparently helps many. But too many slip through the net and they deserve a shot at recovery too. So I hope you are not saying that people sharing the alternatives are wrong. Quashing alternative therapies is a very dangerous thing. I applied the steps to everyday life for many years ands it still didn't work for me but, an alternative did.
Old 10-21-2013, 09:50 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
AA member

L

Did you read that post Katel?

I never mentioned other therapies.

There are all sorts of methods people use to recover.

This is a site where we help each other,not to debate recovery methods.
Old 10-21-2013, 09:55 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Originally Posted by heath480 View Post
Did you read that post Katel?

I never mentioned other therapies.

There are all sorts of methods people use to recover.

This is a site where we help each other,not to debate recovery methods.
I don't debate anything. I just react to people who preach one thing and one thing only. Apologies if I got hold of the wrong end of the stick. I have seen several posts recently which promote that following the twelve steps is the only way and I think this is dangerous.
Old 10-21-2013, 10:01 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I always wondered if the whole "Powerlessness" message is a good or bad thing. Some people can hear that and just use it as more fuel for the fire. "I'm powerless anyhow, I'm never going to have that illusive spiritual experience so why even bother trying". It seems like it could be a double edged sword.
i see it that 'powerless' is not the same as 'helpless'.

as for saying that AA is unproven by quoting the Orange Papers - that's like saying war is wrong and using the Westboro Baptist Church as your source. both sides have their stance. the only sure method is to find your own way, with whatever works.
Old 10-21-2013, 10:24 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Question

SEEMS to me whatever a person uses to attain sobrity is and
the Best method. Would you agree? Is there really a right or wrong way?
Old 10-21-2013, 10:53 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Ah...the late *great* Maybach versus the Yugo debate of September...my sobriety is better than yours.

Ridiculessness/Crazy at it's finest.

I'm sober 29 months, no AA, no powerlessness, helplessness....just realized that booze was slowly killing me and stealing the joy of living....(I was a slow learner, I admit)....my big plan was to improve my health and lose the depressive feelings that came with heavy wine consumption.

if you are sober and happy with your own personal method, it's a winning combo. however you do it.
Old 10-21-2013, 10:59 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

We realized we were powerless over our addiction and our lives had become unmanagable...powerless means to me, that the addiction is always going to win. I can't control it...The 2nd step adds hope to the equation and a spiritual path to follow by suggesting - We came to believe that a Power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity. Suggestion there that the high power can restore the sanity in our lives that our powerless has left us with and our addiction is causing. And then leading to -

Third Step.....Made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of God as we understood Him.
So you don't have to take any action in 1st step - you just have to admit something and realize something----it isn't until you get to the third step that you get to decide to do something about it - and this decision, as is my understanding, will assist you in recovering from the powerlessness of addiction...take as a whole, the steps describe the process by which we may overcome the unmanagbilty and powerlessness our addiction leads us into...
Old 10-21-2013, 11:35 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Is it possible that the end result of any successful method is simply the realisation that thoughts are just thoughts and you don't have to give in to any of them. The lizard brain wants instant gratification but you have the ability to say no. Maybe harnessing that ability is the main thing you are doing with any method. Just a thought.
Old 10-21-2013, 11:51 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Rarely have I seen a person fail to stay sober that refuses the first drink.

Good enough go me.
Old 10-21-2013, 11:57 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

Just a reminder follks ...

SoberRecovery.com Forums Violations (Don'ts)

4. No Flaming: Posting of any content with the intention of disrupting the forum or inflaming members-be it on someone's person, religious beliefs, race, national background, sexual orientation, or recovery program. This includes flaming, flame baiting, registration of multiple accounts or impersonation of another member. Do not Harass, threaten, embarrass or cause distress or discomfort upon another Online Forum participant. This includes flaming on our forums or other public forums.

No posts that attack, insult, "flame", defame, or abuse members or non-members. Respect other members of the community and don’t belittle, make fun of, or insult another member or non-member. Decisions about health and recovery are highly personal, individual choices. "Flaming" and insults, however, will not be tolerated. Agree to disagree. This applies to both the forums and chat.

It is also our policy not to allow threads that are purely to announce that you are unhappy here and "leaving the site'" or to post threads discussing why someone left or was banned. Such posts often detract from our purpose of providing support in recovery. Posts of this nature may be removed and continued posting of this nature could jeopardize your membership. If you wish to “leave” SR or just take a break from the site you are welcome to notify your friends via the Private Message feature.

Ignore bothersome members. If there is someone on the forum that bothers you, select the Ignore option on the drop down menu under their name on the post. You won't see any posts from this member again.

This is SoberRecovery.com. Let's get on with the Recovery part please.
Old 10-21-2013, 12:48 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Is it possible that the end result of any successful method is simply the realisation that thoughts are just thoughts and you don't have to give in to any of them. The lizard brain wants instant gratification but you have the ability to say no. Maybe harnessing that ability is the main thing you are doing with any method. Just a thought.
BTSO!

...and IMO an excellent thought. I dare say that unless the alcoholics' commitment is absolute , no "program" or Higher power is coming to save him.

You have to want it for yourself, no one else . IMO I do not feel that the reason some fail is because they do not work a program. They fail because they are not fully invested in their commitment to a sober life. I feel anyone can get sober--they just have to make that determination for themselves, and if they NEED to believe in a Higher Power other than themselves so be it. Just get it done.I know easy to say hard to do, but the stregnth is inside each of us we just have to find a way to release it. IMO!!
Old 10-21-2013, 02:52 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
jkb

Agree with this 100%

Thanks BTSO
Old 10-21-2013, 02:55 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MaxxPower View Post
Opps, you got me all wrong.

We should start a religion and politics section on SR

Sounds helpful and fun *cough*
12-step support, Christians in recovery, Spirituality?

nobody seems to mind those
Old 10-21-2013, 03:00 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by caboblanco View Post
12-step support, Christians in recovery, Spirituality?

nobody seems to mind those
I don't mind those either,

I believe in God..*no sarcasm*
Old 10-21-2013, 03:00 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

I thoroughly followed the path. I got Sober and I stayed sober that's all that really makes a difference to me. I believe anyone who achieved long term sobriety has thoroughly followed some path that worked for them